MCE 2005 tuner card replacement - no tuner available

Discuss Vista Media Center & XP Media Center Edition
Post Reply
plum

Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCE 2005 tuner card replacement - no tuner available

#1

Post by plum » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:43 pm

I have a HP M7070N media center machine that is running with XP MCE 2005. I recently replaced the original analog tuner card with a Hauppauge Wintv Hvr 1150 tuner card so I can receive over the air ATSC signals. To make a long story short, the install appeared to go well. The hardware appears in the Device Manager as working properly and the search for stations using MCE 2005 was successful. The problem is that when I select live tv I get the following message:

No Tuner Available - No TV tuner cards are configured to work with Media Center. Go to TV settings and setup your TV signal

I have gone back to the set-up as directed but it did not fix the problem.

The replacement card is in the same slot as the original card.

I know this is an old system but it was still working great until this recent hiccup. Thanks for any and all help.

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#2

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:19 pm

plum wrote:I have a HP M7070N media center machine that is running with XP MCE 2005. I recently replaced the original analog tuner card with a Hauppauge Wintv Hvr 1150 tuner card so I can receive over the air ATSC signals. To make a long story short, the install appeared to go well. The hardware appears in the Device Manager as working properly and the search for stations using MCE 2005 was successful. The problem is that when I select live tv I get the following message:

No Tuner Available - No TV tuner cards are configured to work with Media Center. Go to TV settings and setup your TV signal

I have gone back to the set-up as directed but it did not fix the problem.

The replacement card is in the same slot as the original card.

I know this is an old system but it was still working great until this recent hiccup. Thanks for any and all help.
Someone correct me if I am wrong but, I dont think MCE 2005 supported ATSC (AKA: HD OTA broadcasts). I think you needed Vista or higher for that.

Anyway, the problem might be the driver your using. A lot of tuner cards were made/designed past XP days so their driver might not be compatable with XP WMC.

My suggestion, upgrade it to Windows 7 and use WMC 7, it's the best one and will fully support HD...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

dmagerl

Posts: 403
Joined: Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:16 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#3

Post by dmagerl » Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Its been so long but I believe you needed XP MCE rollup 2 installed AND you needed at least 1 analog tuner installed.

Also, you wont be getting any guide data.

plum

Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#4

Post by plum » Tue Feb 07, 2017 7:50 pm

Thank you for both replies.

XP MCE 2005 with Roll up 2 makes it ATSC capable. Also, Hauppauge has XP MCE specific drivers for the HVR 1150.

I have also heard the rumor that you had to keep the original analog card in the machine.

I am giving the Windows 7 idea some thought but I won't be able to use the two extenders I have if I do that.

I was ready for failure and it is no big deal. I got the 1150 for $10 bucks so there isn't a lot of investment. Just hate to see a perfectly good machine that gave great service placed out to pasture.

I'll throw the old analog card in and give it try.

Thanks again.

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#5

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:09 pm

plum wrote:Thank you for both replies.

XP MCE 2005 with Roll up 2 makes it ATSC capable. Also, Hauppauge has XP MCE specific drivers for the HVR 1150.

I have also heard the rumor that you had to keep the original analog card in the machine.

I am giving the Windows 7 idea some thought but I won't be able to use the two extenders I have if I do that.

I was ready for failure and it is no big deal. I got the 1150 for $10 bucks so there isn't a lot of investment. Just hate to see a perfectly good machine that gave great service placed out to pasture.

I'll throw the old analog card in and give it try.

Thanks again.
Grats to you for keeping the classic system working. I have not used XP MCE in a long time but, if it works for you and you have everything working...Awesome !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

plum

Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#6

Post by plum » Mon Feb 13, 2017 12:56 pm

It's an illness. I'm also refurbishing a circa-70's Magnavox turntable and I'm still surfing on my Duke Kahanamoku surfboard from the 60's.

User avatar
DavidinCT

Posts: 1551
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:45 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#7

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:25 pm

plum wrote:It's an illness. I'm also refurbishing a circa-70's Magnavox turntable and I'm still surfing on my Duke Kahanamoku surfboard from the 60's.
Nothing wrong with vinal. I'm sonone who has actually heard a $50K 2 channel system hooked up with $12K cables (I worked for a High end A/V store years ago), it's somethign I will ALWAYS remember. I did a compare from record and a true CD (D to D, No analog coversions).

The record give so much better imaging and depth of feild that a CD could not even close to.

Never mind if you have done reading, Vinal sales have been higher in the last year, than in 10 years...it coming back !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

User avatar
Crash2009

Posts: 4357
Joined: Thu May 17, 2012 12:38 am
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan

HTPC Specs: Show details

#8

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:16 am

I like old stuff too. I just rescued an HP m7000 from a dumpster. I heat a cold corner of the basement with a 1965 NEC and a Pioneer SX-1250. BTW the turntable is a Technics SL-1440. The Cerwin Vega speakers are rotted out, but everything else runs fine

Of course the set-top audio goes in to the amp. I should go out to the garage someday and dig out my VCR and Sony BetaMax to finish off that corner.

Thanks for the tips on the m7000. so I just need the upgrade thing and an additional tuner. Actually I dont need a tuner. I'll just play Recorded TV on it.

plum

Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:20 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#9

Post by plum » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:04 pm

I haven't replaced the analog tuner yet but I still use the M7000 to watch recorded TV via a remote media center extender. I do have one leg in the new age though. I have a TIVO Bolt (but I still have one of the original Sony series 2 TIVO machines that I record using the manual mode).

Turntable rehab not finished yet but looking forward to throwing on the Allman Brothers Live at the Fillmore at full blast. The record changers from the 60's and 70's are remarkable machines when you consider all of the mechanical movements they go through.

Good luck my retro friends

Post Reply