Remote Potato Addin (Version 2.1.3)

AnthonyB

HTPC Specs: Show details

Re: Remote Potato Addin

Post by AnthonyB » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:30 pm

any chance this will ever get streaming abilities?

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:15 pm

AnthonyB wrote:any chance this will ever get streaming abilities?
No, not from remote potato. If this addin gets updated again it will only be after I get access to Ceton's My Media Center API. Then it would only potentially get streaming if Ceton adds streaming capability.

Why would you want streaming anyway?

AnthonyB

Post by AnthonyB » Sun May 19, 2013 1:36 pm

Any chance toy can make the channel buttons use page up and down like in the regular guide?

lsujay

Post by lsujay » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:05 am

AnthonyB wrote:any chance this will ever get streaming abilities?
You can already stream with this... Either in the browser on a PC or with the Remote Media Center App with Android. I think IOS has an app too, but I haven't had IOS in 3 years so I'm not too familiar with it's capabilities. The android app even has the ability to stream 'live', with about a minute of lag before it starts up, but works great if you have a good internet connection.

privatesam

Post by privatesam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:02 am

First of all thank you for this. Its an inspired addin for WMC and almost completes my long desired SoftSled functionality.

One big question/request is this. I love the functionality of both WMC built in and in the Remote Potato server/client application of showing the "Movie Guide" which is a list/collection of the movies in the EPG. This makes for a really easy way to browse through and select upcoming movie's for recording. This is how it looks in the web interface of Remote Potato:
movie guide.PNG
Now I knwo this list is technically possible to pull up through a search in your WMC Potato Addin but I thought it would be the last missing piece for me and my family if there was an extra tile in your Addin strip which was Movie Guide and then displayed a list of the movies in the EPG by date order. I think this is possible from checking the Remote Potato API:
api.PNG
I realise this quite a bit of extra functionality but I think anyone who uses your Addin will agree this could make it, literally the complete part to create WMC Softsled.

I would love to donate, especially if you add this functionality, I have purchased all the Remote Potato apps so feel I have contributed over there.

In the meantime thanks again!

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:07 pm

I was hoping to move this addin over to using ceton's data service, but it doesn't look like that is going to happen. I haven't looked at the code for this in a while, but I'm sure it would be quite easy to add this extra functionality. I'll see what I can do when I have a free moment. No promises though as I don't have a ton of free time.

privatesam

Post by privatesam » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:32 pm

sccrgoalie1 - thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah I've paid close attention to Ceton and tested their stuff out. Its great but I really have to have Web access to my schedules so I haven't moved to there solution. Remote Potato was never the prettiest of solutions but as far as media center goes - pretty reliable. Your addin is so useful for secondary pcs in the house being able to refer back to the main recording PC. Like I said that last bit of Movie Guide functionality would be heaven for my wife and kids who love to sit on a sunday and select all the films to record coming up in the next week.

Glad to hear you don't think its too tough to implement - the API's seem pretty clear with RP but I'm just not a developer so don't know where to begin. Do let me know about donations for you time and I'll sit and hope that you might get time to take a look at some point.

Thanks.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:45 pm

Beta Version 2.0.6

-Service now checks for future recordings upon starting
-Future recordings now show up at the top of the list once they are scheduled
-Search page results screen slide now covers the entire screen and doesn't block you from closing it
-Update focus image on manage series
-Fixed scrolling issue on manage series page
-Update focus image on scheduled recordings and manage series to better stretch
-Add movies guide
-Handle case where no schedule recordings are found
-Note: Manage series page appears to allow you to edit series settings, but this is not currently implemented (Remote Potato doesn't currently allow this).
-Note: Premieres appears to be implemented but do to limited functionality of Remote Potato it is not truly premieres but rather first showings

I was doing a lot of work many months ago on a custom remote potato server and therefore made many changes that I had to revert. I determined that it would be better to wait for access to Ceton's service rather than create another custom remote potato server. As such this is a beta version in case I broke anything. I tested it out and all appears to be working normally. Please let me know if you have any problems. If people don't have problems I'll post the auto update in a couple weeks.
Last edited by sccrgoalie1 on Tue Jun 25, 2013 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:46 pm

privatesam wrote:sccrgoalie1 - thanks for the quick reply!

Yeah I've paid close attention to Ceton and tested their stuff out. Its great but I really have to have Web access to my schedules so I haven't moved to there solution. Remote Potato was never the prettiest of solutions but as far as media center goes - pretty reliable. Your addin is so useful for secondary pcs in the house being able to refer back to the main recording PC. Like I said that last bit of Movie Guide functionality would be heaven for my wife and kids who love to sit on a sunday and select all the films to record coming up in the next week.

Glad to hear you don't think its too tough to implement - the API's seem pretty clear with RP but I'm just not a developer so don't know where to begin. Do let me know about donations for you time and I'll sit and hope that you might get time to take a look at some point.

Thanks.
See if 2.0.6 has what you're hoping for :)

privatesam

Post by privatesam » Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:19 am

sccrgoalie1

WOW!!! Thanks, thanks, thanks! I've been moving house this weekend so was with internet and only saw this, this morning. unfortunately my HTPC is still to be hooked up so I can't try argh! Gonna knock up a VM just to play with this this morning. Thanks so much for implementing this. Once I get set up and tested I'll come back and spread the word about your update to other users of the Shared Guide.

Please point me in the right direction to donate too.

Thanks again.

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:42 pm

Is there any chance the REMOTE POTATO will change the way it needs PORTS to be forwarded in order to work? Have several applications that never go through the complications of PORT FORWARD via firewall, and router, and dynamic address tool (DNS etc.). Suppose this would be too much of a change.

Changed computer, router, and internet provider recently and need to reinstall everything again. And it all fights to not work.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:01 pm

offroad wrote:Is there any chance the REMOTE POTATO will change the way it needs PORTS to be forwarded in order to work? Have several applications that never go through the complications of PORT FORWARD via firewall, and router, and dynamic address tool (DNS etc.). Suppose this would be too much of a change.

Changed computer, router, and internet provider recently and need to reinstall everything again. And it all fights to not work.
The remote potato server is no longer developed so I doubt this will happen. I wonder how your other applications work because I have to forward ports for all applications I want to access externally and have a dynamic address to access them.

offroad

Post by offroad » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:08 pm

used an app called JUMP DESKTOP which never needed any ports open. used another called SPLASHTOP which again never needed ports opened. they just work.

regardless I have my REMOTE POTATO working as I had to set up NO-IP.ORG with a dynamic update client so I could remotely connect. works fine now.

foxwood

Post by foxwood » Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:59 am

offroad wrote:used an app called JUMP DESKTOP which never needed any ports open. used another called SPLASHTOP which again never needed ports opened. they just work.
Splashtop and Jump Desktop both require your desktop "hosts" to maintain an open connection to a 3rd party server at all times. When you connect from your mobile or remote client, you're not connecting to your desktop, you're connecting to a 3rd party middleman, who then forwards your requests over the outbound tunnel that your desktop has established.

It's certainly easier for the nontechnical user, but it requires considerably more resources, (which implies a funding model) and also a great deal of trust (of course, running any software requires trust, and you could argue that a server process written by a company that hopes to make a profit on the service might be more robust than something designed to run on your LAN that you've slapped a back door to the open internet onto), but there's a good reason why "user supported" software doesn't come with the kind of hardware infrasture that Splastop and Jump Desktop does.

wally007

Post by wally007 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:31 pm

... just a question to people who are using this addin. Have you used this on your PC with Server in different time-zone ?
What times are shown in the guide ( local or remote )?

I'm thinking of setting up a MCE7 server at my family's house in Los Angeles and scheduling recordings from home (Europe). ( then via DropBox transfer recordings locally ).

In LA we have FiOS 50mbps upload and at home I've got 30mbps download so even longest recordings would be transferred within an hour but I'm not sure how Guide data would show up on my PC.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:20 pm

wally007 wrote:... just a question to people who are using this addin. Have you used this on your PC with Server in different time-zone ?
What times are shown in the guide ( local or remote )?

I'm thinking of setting up a MCE7 server at my family's house in Los Angeles and scheduling recordings from home (Europe). ( then via DropBox transfer recordings locally ).

In LA we have FiOS 50mbps upload and at home I've got 30mbps download so even longest recordings would be transferred within an hour but I'm not sure how Guide data would show up on my PC.
You should see the current time in Europe with what is on at home currently.

wally007

Post by wally007 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:24 pm

That's cool, thank you very much for response.

I think I will wait for Haswell powered Zotac boxes and set it up. Does anyone know of any other Mac Mini alternative ? ( I do want a bit of power for transcoding, if ever necessary )

wally007

Post by wally007 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:14 am

Hello,

I've tested the addin locally and so far it works great.
Im wondering how its going work work in high latency scenario ? As ive mentioned we have about ~30mbps stable network connection between locations but 150-200 ms latency.
Is guide data loaded in one big chunk or in many small fragments?
Is data cached in any way ?
Is there any way to theme pages ? For example im using black and grey theme and while i found icons that represent 'inFocus' state i cant seem to locate the very blue 'noFocus' ones.
Also i'd like to change the fonts to match MCE fonts from regular guide.

Thank you for awesome addition.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 2:40 pm

wally007 wrote:Hello,

I've tested the addin locally and so far it works great.
Im wondering how its going work work in high latency scenario ? As ive mentioned we have about ~30mbps stable network connection between locations but 150-200 ms latency.
Is guide data loaded in one big chunk or in many small fragments?
Is data cached in any way ?
Is there any way to theme pages ? For example im using black and grey theme and while i found icons that represent 'inFocus' state i cant seem to locate the very blue 'noFocus' ones.
Also i'd like to change the fonts to match MCE fonts from regular guide.

Thank you for awesome addition.
Guide is loaded in fragments. As I recall it initially loads one day for all channels and as you scroll it will add additional days. If you are concerned about speed your best option is to use favorites to limit the number of channels it has to load.

No caching is used for fear of changes since last load, whether it be recordings or new guide data.

Theming should be accomplished by theming the native guide. My addin points to the same resources the native guide uses, so updating those should change my addin as well. Without looking at the code I'm not sure which image represents the no focus, but it depends on whether you use the colored guide based on show type or not.

Fonts will not be able to be themed. They use the same native font as WMC but sizes may be different which might make it appear as a different font.

wally007

Post by wally007 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:52 pm

Thanks for response.

This is what my built-in Guide looks like

This is what Remote Potato Guide looks like

My MCE7 is themed with MCE Studio, changing default font colors. Throughout the whole MCE (pictures, music, home videos etc ) all font color is consistently grey/white. Only Blue color I can find is in this addin.

is there any document I can check how description and "Shared Guide Page" font is set ?
Also thumbnail in the Shared Guide is much smaller.

Thank you