Page 1 of 10

MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:28 pm
by KevinC25
I restored my iPhone today and the MMC app did not re-install because it is not currently in the store. It's still in the Google Play store. I read the recent thread about its temporary absence from the Google Play store and suggestions how to get attention e.g. tweeting Ceton. Does anybody have any knowledge of the iTunes store issue or any further suggestions? Thanks

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:50 pm
by DOS4EVER
I noticed it was missing last week. Not good.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:01 pm
by Scallica
KevinC25 wrote: suggestions how to get attention e.g. tweeting Ceton. Does anybody have any knowledge of the iTunes store issue or any further suggestions? Thanks
Try reaching out to Motz.

https://twitter.com/JamesMontemagno

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:31 pm
by KevinC25
Scallica wrote:
KevinC25 wrote: suggestions how to get attention e.g. tweeting Ceton. Does anybody have any knowledge of the iTunes store issue or any further suggestions? Thanks
Try reaching out to Motz.

https://twitter.com/JamesMontemagno
Thanks, contacted James, he says I will have to email Ceton. I have tweeted them and submitted a support ticket via the Echo support link so far.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Thu May 19, 2016 11:44 pm
by Ed 
Motz is busy with his new (well not really new anymore, but very busy) job and life - and is currently at Google I/O I think - you guys really shouldn't bother him with this stuff anymore. It's not fair to him. :| Just stick to Ceton's support system or if you need to reach out to someone specifically then let it be Jeremy Hammer - the CTO of Ceton: https://twitter.com/jeremyhammer

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Fri May 20, 2016 2:00 pm
by KevinC25
Ed  wrote:Motz is busy with his new (well not really new anymore, but very busy) job and life - and is currently at Google I/O I think - you guys really shouldn't bother him with this stuff anymore. It's not fair to him. :| Just stick to Ceton's support system or if you need to reach out to someone specifically then let it be Jeremy Hammer - the CTO of Ceton: https://twitter.com/jeremyhammer
Agreed but ourproblem is that as it says at the top of the forum "Ceton no longer participate in this forum. There is no official support mechanism for My Media Center" and on Ceton's website it says support is handled on TGB and there is no formal trouble ticket mechanism for MMC. This is an app that Ceton seem to be trying to let die although it complements some of their hardware and we all paid money for it (albeit not a huge amount - though most of us seem to have bought it on several platforms).

Clearly MMC is getting plenty of use by those of us who own it based on the number of views posts quickly get in this forum. I would like to suggest that anyone reading this who owns the app submits a trouble ticket to Ceton or otherwise communicates your continued desire for this app by whatever means you can, otherwise it may soon be gone for good. If we could also get them to change their website to acknowledge that they are the place for support and not here/James that would help...

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 5:58 pm
by KevinC25
Update: Trouble ticket ignored, tweets to CetonCorp and Jeremy Hammer ignored. I guess it's time to start re-evaluating Remote Potato.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:35 pm
by DOS4EVER
KevinC25 wrote:Update: Trouble ticket ignored, tweets to CetonCorp and Jeremy Hammer ignored. I guess it's time to start re-evaluating Remote Potato.
I still have the app installed on my iPhone and I was trying to figure out last night how to back it up to my PC in case I ever needed to reinstall it. I use iCloud for backup so apparently I would have to make a full backup of the phone to my PC and then find the app on the hard drive and copy it to a new location. If I ever had to restore my phone I would have to manually add the app back to iTunes.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:43 pm
by Scallica
DOS4EVER wrote:
KevinC25 wrote:Update: Trouble ticket ignored, tweets to CetonCorp and Jeremy Hammer ignored. I guess it's time to start re-evaluating Remote Potato.
I use iCloud for backup so apparently I would have to make a full backup of the phone to my PC and then find the app on the hard drive and copy it to a new location.
Use this program; it works well:

http://www.syncios.com/features.html

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:06 pm
by DOS4EVER
Scallica wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:
KevinC25 wrote:Update: Trouble ticket ignored, tweets to CetonCorp and Jeremy Hammer ignored. I guess it's time to start re-evaluating Remote Potato.
I use iCloud for backup so apparently I would have to make a full backup of the phone to my PC and then find the app on the hard drive and copy it to a new location.
Use this program; it works well:

http://www.syncios.com/features.html
I'll check it out. Thanks.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 12:22 am
by KevinC25
Scallica wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:
KevinC25 wrote:Update: Trouble ticket ignored, tweets to CetonCorp and Jeremy Hammer ignored. I guess it's time to start re-evaluating Remote Potato.
I use iCloud for backup so apparently I would have to make a full backup of the phone to my PC and then find the app on the hard drive and copy it to a new location.
Use this program; it works well:

http://www.syncios.com/features.html
For what it's worth, my phone was backed up to my PC hard drive via iTunes and the app was on the PC before the restore. My entire iTunes PC folder which also includes the mobile apps *.ipa files is also backed up ona network drive. However, when I restored the iPhone from its own backup it deleted the .ipa file and the iphoen said the app could not be found. When I copied the .ipa file back over and tried again it did the same. I think iTunes is too smart to let you install an app from its .ipa file if it's no longer in the store, but I'm happy to be corrected.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 1:29 am
by KevinC25
KevinC25 wrote:For what it's worth, my phone was backed up to my PC hard drive via iTunes and the app was on the PC before the restore. My entire iTunes PC folder which also includes the mobile apps *.ipa files is also backed up ona network drive. However, when I restored the iPhone from its own backup it deleted the .ipa file and the iphoen said the app could not be found. When I copied the .ipa file back over and tried again it did the same. I think iTunes is too smart to let you install an app from its .ipa file if it's no longer in the store, but I'm happy to be corrected.
OK sorry, spurred on by your posts I've now read up more and I'm guessing that the backups I had were the old ios8 version, which is incompatible with ios9, as ios9 no longer seems to allow apps to be backed up by itunes. So I guess I'm really out of luck. Thanks for the help.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:44 pm
by manchild
I contacted Apple. They confirmed that Ceton has removed all version of the app from the App Store. He said we could request a refund from an iTunes Advisor. I did chat with him about app back ups. You can download apps directly in iTunes on a PC or Mac (Select Apps -> Library -> Purchased, click the cloud icon to download). He said it was possible to add an ipa file directly to the app folder. Does anyone have a copy of the most recent version? I only have 1.3.3 which crashes on start.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 2:42 pm
by mcewinter
manchild wrote:I contacted Apple. They confirmed that Ceton has removed all version of the app from the App Store.
That's too bad. Even in it's dormant state, the app offered a great advantage for MC.

Confirmed: Ceton sucks.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 3:48 pm
by mcewinter
mcewinter wrote:
manchild wrote:I contacted Apple. They confirmed that Ceton has removed all version of the app from the App Store.
That's too bad. Even in it's dormant state, the app offered a great advantage for MC.

Confirmed: Ceton sucks.
It's still on Android (for now). I don't see the logic.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:19 pm
by dkrom
KevinC25 wrote:
KevinC25 wrote:For what it's worth, my phone was backed up to my PC hard drive via iTunes and the app was on the PC before the restore. My entire iTunes PC folder which also includes the mobile apps *.ipa files is also backed up ona network drive. However, when I restored the iPhone from its own backup it deleted the .ipa file and the iphoen said the app could not be found. When I copied the .ipa file back over and tried again it did the same. I think iTunes is too smart to let you install an app from its .ipa file if it's no longer in the store, but I'm happy to be corrected.
OK sorry, spurred on by your posts I've now read up more and I'm guessing that the backups I had were the old ios8 version, which is incompatible with ios9, as ios9 no longer seems to allow apps to be backed up by itunes. So I guess I'm really out of luck. Thanks for the help.
Yes and no. If you download the app in iTunes and send it to your phone, you'll get the "full" ipa version of the app on the hard drive and it'll be backed up. iOS 9 introduced app thinning, which made it so apps that were installed from your device (and not through iTunes on the PC) would not get the full version, only the "thinned" version for your specific device. This is where the problem occurs, the apps installed from your device do not backup to iTunes when connected to your PC since they are not the full version. Basically, if you want the ipa of the app, you'll need to go through iTunes on your computer to actually get it and since MMC is no longer in the store you can't get the ipa. That being said, if someone does have the ipa it should work if it is moved to other computers.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:29 pm
by STC
^ my thinking is this will only work for users who have already bought the license?

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:40 pm
by KevinC25
Just as an update, after weeks of being ignored by all parts of Ceton, I finally got a response yesterday to a ticket about MMC I put through the Echo ticket system. Response as follows:

"Hi Kevin, We do not support or have access to the My Media Center App. This website is for InfiniTV and Echo support only. Thank you, Ceton Support"

I would also love to get a copy of the full ipa to try to reinstall if anyone has the ios9 version?

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 4:14 pm
by mcewinter
KevinC25 wrote:Just as an update, after weeks of being ignored by all parts of Ceton, I finally got a response yesterday to a ticket about MMC I put through the Echo ticket system. Response as follows:

"Hi Kevin, We do not support or have access to the My Media Center App. This website is for InfiniTV and Echo support only. Thank you, Ceton Support"

I would also love to get a copy of the full ipa to try to reinstall if anyone has the ios9 version?
But...but...

http://cetoncorp.com/products/companion/

Hopefully, any revenue the app brings goes to Motz. It's clearly 100% his work.

Re: MMC app missing from US iTunes store May 19 2016

Posted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 9:06 pm
by dkrom
STC wrote:^ my thinking is this will only work for users who have already bought the license?
That would be true.