Media Centre Information server alternative???

aienco

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Centre Information server alternative???

Post by aienco » Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:09 am

Hello everyone. I have just joined this forum although I have been using Win7 Windows Media Centre for the past 10 years. I have been fairly content with it all untill the update server closed.....

I now only use it for my music and videos. Problem is trying get the info. for the music albums. Just putting the songs in a directory doesn't seem to work? Does anyone have a way of getting this to work ON windows 7 Media Centre.

I have looked at Kodi, Plex and Media Portol but for music, I find the way I have it set up with Media Centre 7 is easier and more user friendly.

Any info. advice would be appreciated.

Tony.

th3luk3st3r

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by th3luk3st3r » Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:05 am

Hi and welcome to TGB! It's nice to see that there are still others out there who appreciate WMC, even as time continues to roll on :)

While there is no update server (and no easy way to implement an update server), I've found a workaround for this specific issue. From my understanding, much of WMC is leveraged from Windows Media Player (WMP), and that includes music metadata, which is stored within each album folder (marked as hidden).

I believe WMP on Windows 7 uses the same update server as WMC does and as such cannot download data as well. WMP on Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 does download media data from another server; and though it seems that it may not be as accurate as the original update server (that could just be my memory), it does work and downloads album data in the same format as WMP on Win 7.

In my setup I use WMP on a Server 2016 machine to download cover art and media info, which is downloaded to each album folder in my collection. The folder containing my music library is then shared over the network and added into the WMC music library. WMC then picks up the cover art and album data (as it's still in the same format it expects) and interprets it correctly.

I'd expect that this could also be done by sharing the folder from the WMC box to another Win 10 machine on the network and using that Win 10 machine to download album info, though I've not tested this configuration. ;)