Mixing Cox Cable with OTA tuner, possible?

Paul Anderegg

HTPC Specs: Show details

Mixing Cox Cable with OTA tuner, possible?

Post by Paul Anderegg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:06 am

I've positioned an indoor antenna behind my TV, that amazingly, receives all my local OTA boradcast stations on my TV. I have a Media Center PC with 2 Ceton InfiniTV6 tuners, but Cox Cable has recently swtiched to transcoding all broadcasts to only 720p, at a low bitrate with lots of marcroblocking. Is it at all possible to swap out one of mky InfiniTV6 tuners for an OTA tuner, and configure WMC to use tat tuner for just the specific OTA channels I want better quality on? My assumption is no, but doesn't hurt to ask.

Paul

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:17 am

Sure you can. You can have all types of tuners configured for WMC at the same time, and of course can map any guide listings to those tuned channels as you see fit. Won't be a problem. For EPG123, just add the OTA lineup (keeping your cable lineup as well) to your subscription.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:22 am

If I added the OTA channel lineups, would I have to map anything, or because one says 10.1 and the other for Cox is 1010, it would just go to the only tuner that could decode that? I am in the settings looking for any selections, is there a remapping guide somewhere?

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:25 am

Is this my best tuner option?

https://www.hauppauge.com/pages/product ... uadhd.html

And thank you gary, I need to donate again :-P

Paul

garyan2

Post by garyan2 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:30 am

If you add the OTA lineup, then 10.1 from the OTA lineup will be mapped to the 10.1 tuner channel automatically. You would want to disable the cable channel 1010 in the guide in order to not ever view/record on that channel. You won't actually be remapping... both 10.1 and 1010 will be assigned the same guide listings individually.

No real guide, just https://epg123.garyan2.net/tools/#channelMapping to describe how to do it in the client manually if you need to.

As far as tuners go, totally up to you. I can't speak for the Hauppauge tuners and prefer network tuners from SiliconDust which may be more expensive.
- Gary
Keeping WMC alive beyond January 2020. http://epg123.garyan2.net

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:40 am

Good, no remapping necessary :-D

As for tuners, I looked at the Hauppauge website and that is there 4 tuner ATSC PCIE card. I am seeing people complaining about it only being able to use 2 tuners in Windows Media Center though? :(

Would this work for WMC7? My station (the one I work for) is transitioning to ATSC 3.0, but only so they can add even more multiple sub channels to our crappy 720p broadcast signal. I think we broadcast 12Mbps mpeg2 on our main ATCS 1.0 channel...ugh...

https://www.silicondust.com/product/hdhomerun-flex-4k/

Paul

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:10 am

I use Hauppauge 4 tuner PCIE cards woth no problem in WMC, can't imagine why someone can't make it work peroperly, possibly they are also using some other 2 tuner card and are runing into the 4 tuner of a type limit and don't know that EPG123 (or other WMC patching software) will allow them to work around that. BTW no need to retire any existing tuners (unless you need the PCI slot) to add the Hauppauge OTA tuners the other ones will continue to be useable (as long as you subscribe to cable). My HTPCs all have a 4 tuner Hauppauge PCIE card and I also have 2 SD network cable tuners and it all worls fine.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:25 am

Mispoke, I have a single Ceton 6 tuner...I replaced a dual Ceton 4 tuner older system. So this would be an addition to the Ceton, but just for local OTA channels.

And my system is currently properly configured and happy to record 6 channels at once with the Ceton :-)

Paul

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:57 am

stuartm wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:10 am
I use Hauppauge 4 tuner PCIE cards woth no problem in WMC, can't imagine why someone can't make it work peroperly, possibly they are also using some other 2 tuner card and are runing into the 4 tuner of a type limit and don't know that EPG123 (or other WMC patching software) will allow them to work around that. BTW no need to retire any existing tuners (unless you need the PCI slot) to add the Hauppauge OTA tuners the other ones will continue to be useable (as long as you subscribe to cable). My HTPCs all have a 4 tuner Hauppauge PCIE card and I also have 2 SD network cable tuners and it all worls fine.
Does your Hauppauge do Dolby Digital AC3 5.1 in WMC? Thier product pages say only stereo/2CH audio supoort :-O

Paul

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:03 am

Any tuner should just grab the OTA signal with whatever audio is encoded. Whether it decodes into 5.1 or 2CH is up to the rendering software. I suspect WMC wouold do 5.1 but I don't know for sure since all my HTPC's are set up only with stereo speaker outputs, I'm old school and don't do surround sound.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:23 am

Upgradd complete...the Haupauge has a very "hot" RF front end because using the Channel Master pre-amp required for good signal on my TV causes massive errors on the tuner card.

Paul

wilme2

Post by wilme2 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 8:20 pm

Paul Anderegg wrote:
Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:23 am
Upgradd complete...the Haupauge has a very "hot" RF front end because using the Channel Master pre-amp required for good signal on my TV causes massive errors on the tuner card.

Paul
I use a 3db attenuator at my HDHomeRun 4K input for the same reason.

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Sat Jul 17, 2021 5:41 pm

Well, that answers that!

rayr@hauppauge.com
Thu 7/15/2021 10:05 PM

Hello,

The quadHD has a built in pre-amp. It’s possible that your signal is too hot when using your pre-amp with the card.

Regards,
Ray Rodriguez
rayr@hauppauge.com
Technical Support
HCW Distributing Corp.
New York
http://www.hauppauge.com

Paul Anderegg

Post by Paul Anderegg » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 am

So turns out the Hauppauge has a really terrible receiver. All the spots where I tested for best signal stregth, with 0 errors on decode and good signal, come in broken on the Hauppauge. Adding my pre amp either doesn't chaneg anything or makes things worse. This is comparing the Hauppauge receiver with my Sony TV's built in tuner, which decodes much better. :(

Anyone know how to see signal strength db and SNR on a Hauppauge? The WMC antenna signal diognostics screen showing signal bars is useless...one bar down and signal is broken, and have signals showing 0 bars red and then all bars full and back and forth cutting n and out. Since I can't use my TV tuners signal meter, need a way to see the Hauppauge signals.

Paul

StinkyImp

Post by StinkyImp » Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:37 pm

Paul Anderegg wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:46 am
Anyone know how to see signal strength db and SNR on a Hauppauge? Since I can't use my TV tuners signal meter, need a way to see the Hauppauge signals.
In my WinTV program group, Hauppauge has a signal monitor for each tuner I have installed.

See image here.

Note to technodevotee -> I rarely use these signal monitors so I was surprised when I opened them that both tuners were in "sleep" mode. I had to tune the first one to get readings. Now I'm wondering where this sleep mode is coming from?? It sure isn't from any Windows settings!

EDIT: In the Windows device properties section labeled "Power data", both tuners current power state is D0 which is is the fully on state. That's stranger still since one is awake and the other shows sleep in the monitor app. :crazy: