New way to view MKV files in WMC?

Having trouble playing all your different media types? Ask here!
Post Reply
joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

New way to view MKV files in WMC?

#1

Post by joedrt73 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 3:57 pm

I've read and read about viewing MKV fikes and I'm still confused on what the best and maybe easiest solution to watching my MKV movies on media center.

3rob3

Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#2

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:03 pm

Install LAV filters:
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

If your AVR is capable of bitstreaming you can check those formats in the audio configuration tab, otherwise use the defaults.

joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#3

Post by joedrt73 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:14 pm

Thank you I appreciate it.

joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#4

Post by joedrt73 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:15 pm

3rob3 wrote:Install LAV filters:
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

If your AVR is capable of bitstreaming you can check those formats in the audio configuration tab, otherwise use the defaults.
What about viewing them through a Xbox extender? Saw a bunch of talk about that won't work?

mdavej

Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:52 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#5

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:34 pm

Has always worked for me on extenders. Requires reg hack of course.

joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#6

Post by joedrt73 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:42 pm

Oh boy. I'm totally new to all this. Apparently I'm in it way late in the game huh lol. What hack are you referring to?

3rob3

Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#7

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:26 pm

I think mdavej is referring to this:
http://www.hack7mc.com/2009/01/playing- ... enter.html

Only follow Step 2 (the registry files), since LAV filters replace step 1. This registry file just tells Media Center that files with an MKV extension are playable as video.

mdavej

Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:52 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#8

Post by mdavej » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:59 pm

Yep, that's it. Thanks for digging up that link. WMC won't play MKV without it. Also affects extenders, so after changing the registry, those can play MKV too (Xbox, Echo, whatever). I guess there's a lot of misinformation out there.

LAV or Shark works fine, but LAV is much simpler to install and use. Shark is a minefield if you don't know what you're doing. I understand he needs to pay the bills, but malware isn't the right way to do it IMO. LAV is clean and simple.

joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#9

Post by joedrt73 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:27 pm

Thank you all guys I appreciate the attention to a newbie I'll get right on this

JTScribe

Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#10

Post by JTScribe » Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:05 am

3rob3 wrote:Install LAV filters:
https://github.com/Nevcairiel/LAVFilters/releases

If your AVR is capable of bitstreaming you can check those formats in the audio configuration tab, otherwise use the defaults.
Will that work for Blu Ray rips converted to MKVs? I've been using Media Player Classic with My Movies, if there were a more seamless method I'd be very interested.

webminster

Posts: 657
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#11

Post by webminster » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:12 am

It should work fine. I personally use Shark007, My Movies, and use MakeMKV to rip the Blu-Rays to MKV files. Plays directly in WMC, no need for external player.
-Alan

joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#12

Post by joedrt73 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:53 pm

mdavej wrote:Yep, that's it. Thanks for digging up that link. WMC won't play MKV without it. Also affects extenders, so after changing the registry, those can play MKV too (Xbox, Echo, whatever). I guess there's a lot of misinformation out there.

LAV or Shark works fine, but LAV is much simpler to install and use. Shark is a minefield if you don't know what you're doing. I understand he needs to pay the bills, but malware isn't the right way to do it IMO. LAV is clean and simple.
Well...I can now watch mkv's on the media server PC no issues, but the xbox still will not see them. I installed the x64 registry files, is there anything else I need to do?

mdavej

Posts: 1477
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:52 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#13

Post by mdavej » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:50 pm

joedrt73 wrote:
mdavej wrote:Yep, that's it. Thanks for digging up that link. WMC won't play MKV without it. Also affects extenders, so after changing the registry, those can play MKV too (Xbox, Echo, whatever). I guess there's a lot of misinformation out there.

LAV or Shark works fine, but LAV is much simpler to install and use. Shark is a minefield if you don't know what you're doing. I understand he needs to pay the bills, but malware isn't the right way to do it IMO. LAV is clean and simple.
Well...I can now watch mkv's on the media server PC no issues, but the xbox still will not see them. I installed the x64 registry files, is there anything else I need to do?
Install LAV x86 too. I don't remember which version remote sessions use, but that could be the issue. I have no problems after installing both. You may have to do this as well:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 50798d5113

3rob3

Posts: 548
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:48 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#14

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 5:46 pm

mdavej wrote:Install LAV x86 too
I bet that's it.

joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#15

Post by joedrt73 » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:26 pm

alrighty then i'll try that now. sure do appreciate the help

joedrt73

Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:25 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#16

Post by joedrt73 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 3:27 pm

Well after trying all this and even every possible combination it just would not work.

I uninstalled the LAV filters and installed Shark007's advanced filters, watching not to install all his bloatware adware stuff... and when I turned on the xbox lo and behold the mkv movies were there.

I did however have to install the "optional Media Update" from xbox live in order for the mkv's to play.

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... noSplash=1

JackLuminous

Posts: 48
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:20 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#17

Post by JackLuminous » Mon May 25, 2015 11:12 pm

joedrt73,
I ran into this problem when I got my new HTPC and was setting everything back up. I had LAV, VSFilter, and the Reg updates and everything played just fine on the WMC 8.1. However the MCX on Xbox 360 just would not recognize the mkvs. I installed Haali Media Splitter and that enabled the Xbox extenders to recognize mkv as a video.

User avatar
TheOsburnFamil

Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:52 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#18

Post by TheOsburnFamil » Tue May 26, 2015 12:42 am

Someone WAAAYYY more smarterist than me can explain this better but I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that LAV's codecs & splitters were DirectShow ONLY and NOT compatible with the native MediaFoundation requirements of 8.1. So any "splitting" would work directly on a PC but not on an extender. Haali's MKV Splitter worked with mediafoundation and that's why it works with extenders & 8.1...

...at least, it was something along those lines. I'm not a smart man.
Matt O. ...tivo what? ...dish dvr--uh... huh? ...cable dvr fees--you're kidding, right?

Post Reply