Arcsoft TMT 6 Sale - $29.99 Amazon Download

Find a great price on media center gear? Share it with other TGBers!
Post Reply
Sprinx

Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

HTPC Specs: Show details

Arcsoft TMT 6 Sale - $29.99 Amazon Download

#1

Post by Sprinx » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:47 pm

Found this today on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BXM1BI4/

Only $29.99 for download w/ key (can also use key in an existing demo version). It can be re-downloaded from Amazon later.

Only valid for U.S. customers (sorry).

Finally able to switch over from PowerDVD and take advantage of my new TV's 24p capabilities. It worked great on the demo.

Note: Version 6 does include the DRM product Cinavia which prevents playing of non-disc blu-rays. Might be a problem for some.

werds

Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#2

Post by werds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:41 am

Sprinx wrote:
Note: Version 6 does include the DRM product Cinavia which prevents playing of non-disc blu-rays. Might be a problem for some.
So that means if you rip the blu-ray (whether it has Cinavia protection or not) you can't play back the blu-ray folder even thru WMC?

Sprinx

Posts: 8
Joined: Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 pm
Location: Tennessee, USA

HTPC Specs: Show details

#3

Post by Sprinx » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:18 am

I think it's only a problem if the original blu-ray has the Cinavia protection. But, I had neverheard of Cinavia before today when I read one of the reviews regarding this software, so don't quote me on that.

werds

Posts: 495
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:35 am
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#4

Post by werds » Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:34 am

Sprinx wrote:I think it's only a problem if the original blu-ray has the Cinavia protection. But, I had neverheard of Cinavia before today when I read one of the reviews regarding this software, so don't quote me on that.
Cool, I am not 100% on any of it either since I use a pre-Cinavia TMT version and refuse to update until I get a blu-ray that gives me the big FU... just trying to grasp if my use case would even make this matter :) Good deal otherwise though!

JTScribe

Posts: 282
Joined: Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:46 pm
Location:

HTPC Specs: Show details

#5

Post by JTScribe » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:21 am

Deal is back in effect, is it worth an upgrade over TMT5?

barnabas1969

Posts: 5738
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:23 pm
Location: Titusville, Florida, USA

HTPC Specs: Show details

#6

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Mar 04, 2014 3:15 am

werds wrote:
Sprinx wrote:I think it's only a problem if the original blu-ray has the Cinavia protection. But, I had neverheard of Cinavia before today when I read one of the reviews regarding this software, so don't quote me on that.
Cool, I am not 100% on any of it either since I use a pre-Cinavia TMT version and refuse to update until I get a blu-ray that gives me the big FU... just trying to grasp if my use case would even make this matter :) Good deal otherwise though!
You can install your old TMT5 version and the new TMT6 on the same PC. This will allow you to use either version of TMT on the PC.

Cinavia will prevent you from playing any ripped movie (regardless of whether it is ripped to ISO, MKV, or whatever) which has Cinavia protection in any player that supports Cinavia. So... if the disk had Cinavia protection, you won't be able to rip it and play it in any TMT version that has Cinavia support (later updates to TMT5 have Cinavia support, and all TMT6 versions do too). All other commercial player software like PowerDVD supports Cinavia too. However, if you rip a Cinavia disk to MKV (or whatever container) and play it directly in Media Center (or any open source player like VLC), the player won't honor Cinavia protection, so the movie will play just fine.

Furthermore, if you rip the disk with AnyDVDHD (from Slysoft), they purport to have broken Cinavia. It's amazing how quickly people find ways to circumvent copy protection. The movie production companies and the MPAA spend years and millions of dollars trying to figure out ways to prevent people from copying movies... and ordinary people break that protection in a few months on a shoestring budget.

Post Reply