WNBCHD is flagged CGMS-A Copy Never on FIOS

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Space

HTPC Specs: Show details

WNBCHD is flagged CGMS-A Copy Never on FIOS

Post by Space » Tue May 03, 2016 2:22 am

Looks like someone screwed up and marked tonight's episode of Blindspot on NBC (WNBC-NY) as CGMS CopyNever.

My WMC just complained and screwed up this and one other recording that was supposed to start. Looks like WMC didn't like CopyNever and it also screwed up my other (non-CopyNever) recordings that was supposed to start at the same time (maybe because it tried to use each tuner and failed which caused conflict with the other recording using the tuner?).

Anyway, I am running an old firmware version on my HDHR Prime because "if it's not broke, don't fix it", but I guess it is now broke. This is the first time I hit this problem and I know that the latest firmware fixes it, so I guess it's time...

Space

Post by Space » Tue May 03, 2016 2:48 am

Thanks for the reassurance! It always makes me nervous to update the firmware on the Prime since there is no going back, and if something doesn't work, you're screwed until it can be fixed.

EDIT: So I'm looking at this a little more closely and it appears that at the time the recording for "The Blindspot" (10:01pm start) was supposed to start, I had two other recordings in progress (one was recording since 8pm and was supposed to stop recording at 10:10pm (10 min. padding) and the other started at 10:00pm and was supposed to end at 11pm.

At 10:01, I got pop-up messages (3 of them) about the recording being unable to start due to network restrictions, and at that point the other two recordings stopped recording (weird).

The History log shows that the 8pm show was not recorded "due to temporary failure caused by either a system malfunction or a power loss" for two tuners, but the third tuner said "stopped early due to a schedule change".

The 10pm recording had no entry in the History log, but had a 1 minute recording and it was rescheduled to record at a later date.

After this I rebooted the system and a show I had scheduled to record at 10:30pm started recording, but it added an entry to the History log indicating that "Recording of this content is prohibited by the content provider", even though this show was not CopyNever. This error was for tuner 2, and it actually did start recording on tuner 1 (or maybe 0).

So it looks like that when WMC tries to record a CopyNever show, it just gets all screwed up and starts thinking non-CopyNever shows are CopyNever. Hopefully this is only a temporary condition and will not continue to affect recordings. I will have to run a test later on all three tuners to make sure they are all working.

I guess the moral of this story is to try to avoid attempting to record any CopyNever show.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Tue May 03, 2016 8:49 pm

And while if in ain't broke...an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

ghostman

Post by ghostman » Wed May 04, 2016 2:40 am

I'm seeing the same issue with all NBC shows (also via WNBC) last night and tonight. I'm using Ceton InfiniTV 4s with the latest betas and pre-betas and the records are still failing with copy never errors.

Space

Post by Space » Wed May 04, 2016 3:18 am

Looks like this has happened before on the NBC network on FiOS:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r300270 ... C-programs

Are you sure you have the correct pre-beta firmware, because that is supposed make it ignore CGMS.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed May 04, 2016 5:44 am

Because of this, it is failing to record. I tried the beta 15.1.13.152 firmware, and it worked for half a day, then crashed. Then crashed again immediately during/after each reboot.

Tried flashing back to stable firmware and to 15.1.13.152 again. Immediately unstable. Can't usually even connect to the web interface. For awhile I was afraid I had bricked the card with it not accessible after 3 or 4 reboots until uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers had an option to reset to factory during uninstall which somehow got it to 14.10.3.163.

15.1.13.152 was first released over a year ago. Has there been a more stable replacement for it? Would it be FIOS or NBC to remove the flag on this local broadcast channel?

Space

Post by Space » Wed May 04, 2016 7:22 am

I believe it is a problem with WNBC and perhaps FiOS (not sure if it affects others).

I don't have any Ceton products, but it is my understanding that pre-beta 15.1.13.152 firmware is the one that fixes this issue, but gives some people problems.

Here is the thread about the firmware: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =68&t=8352
Which seems to mention some problems with the firmware.

Someone said (post #34) they had to do a power down/up and several restarts to get it working. Maybe you can try that?

As far as I know there is no more recent version.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed May 04, 2016 1:09 pm

Same problem here.

I tried the pre-beta firmware, the first attempt I got lucky and it worked for half a day before crashing, other than the "secure boot" in the motherboard BIOS not liking it. The many reboots after that it was anything but stable. At one point before uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers in an attempt to get the web interface accessible again so I could at least flash it back I thought it may have been bricked. Fortunately the uninstaller had an option to "reset to factory settings" which put it on an older firmware.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed May 04, 2016 11:46 pm

I called FIOS support about this. They were rather useless. A shame, I was wowed by the good support we got from them 3-4 years ago. The online chat support has been replaced by a bot which only knows what's in the FAQ and has an ad above it saying you can get unlimited support for "just" $14.95 a month extra.

Space

Post by Space » Thu May 05, 2016 12:03 am

Is anyone having this problem that is NOT on FiOS? I am also assuming it is only happening on WNBC, the New York affiliate, and not any other NBC affiliates?

EDIT: And I assume from your post that this is still happening, I can't tell since I upgraded my HDHR Prime firmware and it doesn't even display the CGMS info anymore (unless there is some hidden option to display it like there is for displaying unsubscribed channels in the channel map).

EDIT 2: If you want to get in contact with a tech at Verizon, you can try posting here: https://www.dslreports.com/forum/vzdirect They have higher level techs that try to help people. Although I am not sure that the problem is with Verizon or WNBC or both. I'm not sure if the Verizon strike will affect how quickly they can resolve this. As a last resort you can file a complaint with the FCC, since it is illegal to set broadcast networks to anything but CopyFreely: https://www.fcc.gov/media/cablecard-know-your-rights

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Thu May 05, 2016 3:59 am

The new firmware works ok (so far) in my old WMC PC with an InfiniTV 4, but was crazy unstable in the new one with InfiniTV 6. Not sure if its the 6 tuner card or the PC BIOS -- the first reboot after updating the BIOS booted to some message about an unapproved boot loader and wouldn't allow secure boot. I figured why do I need secure boot anyway, so that is disabled...

Bridging tuners from the 4 tuner card and blocking the 6 tuner card from being tuned for NBCHD is working for now..

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu May 05, 2016 12:06 pm

Duplicate threads merged.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

ghostman

Post by ghostman » Thu May 05, 2016 10:10 pm

I rechecked all my versions yesterday and I had downloaded the 15.1.13.152 pre-beta Ceton firmware, but it was not the version running on my cards. So I flashed them with 15.1.13.152. Last night, WNBC seems to recorded without issue.

STC

Post by STC » Thu May 05, 2016 11:05 pm

glugglug wrote:...has an ad above it saying you can get unlimited support for "just" $14.95 a month extra.
Wow. That kind of crap I'd be getting the heck out of dodge.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri May 06, 2016 12:12 am

Did e-mail feedback to WNBC through their website last night. Got an response that they looked into and fixed it today.

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 06, 2016 12:35 am

STC wrote:
glugglug wrote:...has an ad above it saying you can get unlimited support for "just" $14.95 a month extra.
Wow. That kind of crap I'd be getting the heck out of dodge.
I believe that is "Premium Technical Support" which is phone support for anything on your PC, Macintosh or home network (virus removal, network support, operating system, etc.), it's not about support for your FiOS service.

STC

Post by STC » Fri May 06, 2016 1:55 am

Okay, that's more acceptable. How would glugglug get past the bot? I suppose a phone call is needed.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 06, 2016 2:28 am

STC wrote:Okay, that's more acceptable. How would glugglug get past the bot? I suppose a phone call is needed.
There is an "Automated Agent" which I believe is different than "Live Chat". I've only used "Live Chat" once and it was a real person.

There is also a strike going on at Verizon, so "Live Chat" may have a longer wait time than usual.

To get to "Live Chat" I have to go to "My Verizon", then "Add or Change Services", and then select "Add Service" or one of the other options about changing your service. You then have to click a button to allow them to view your account, and you end up on a page that has a "Live Chat" button on the left side of the page.
I am not sure if "Live Chat" is available 24/7 or not.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri May 06, 2016 3:46 am

Space wrote:
STC wrote:Okay, that's more acceptable. How would glugglug get past the bot? I suppose a phone call is needed.
There is an "Automated Agent" which I believe is different than "Live Chat". I've only used "Live Chat" once and it was a real person.

There is also a strike going on at Verizon, so "Live Chat" may have a longer wait time than usual.

To get to "Live Chat" I have to go to "My Verizon", then "Add or Change Services", and then select "Add Service" or one of the other options about changing your service. You then have to click a button to allow them to view your account, and you end up on a page that has a "Live Chat" button on the left side of the page.
I am not sure if "Live Chat" is available 24/7 or not.
Just tried that to see, there is no "Live Chat" link. Maybe because it's 11:39PM and they have the strike?

It used to be there just clicking to the "Support" page, then clicking on "Contact Us". The "Contact Us" link is no longer clickable, it now has a thing saying to "Sign in to get personalized convenient support" underneath it even if you already are signed in (even while showing who you are signed in as at the top of the page).

Space

Post by Space » Fri May 06, 2016 5:16 am

Strange... I just tried it now and I see the "LIVE CHAT" button. It even (annoyingly) pops up a window saying "Welcome to Verizon. Need to chat?" with a big red "Chat now" button without me even clicking on the button about 10 seconds after I visit the page. I constantly have to dismiss the window each time I visit.