CableCard + new hard drive = reset anything?

chrisgnv

HTPC Specs: Show details

CableCard + new hard drive = reset anything?

Post by chrisgnv » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:37 am

The OS drive on my HTPC is too small. I'm replacing it with another SSD. Having a CableCard, does that change any saved DRM settings? I haven't recorded any HBO content but do have some DRM-protected channels.

Thanks

stuartm

Post by stuartm » Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:44 am

It might. I just upgraded my HDD OS drives on 3 machines to SSD. I had to reset DRM/playready to get protected channels to work again. Luckily I had no protected recordings, but if I had they would not be viewable.

frostillicus

Post by frostillicus » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:35 pm

I had the same issue where I started out with a 64gb ssd that I outgrew and replaced with a 256gb. I used macrium reflect to clone the image to the new. WMC worked with no additional configuration, but DRM had to be reset to get live HBO again. That doesn't help with protected recordings. WMC won't play them because it will think you are trying to play them back on another PC. I had to scrap my HBO recordings.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:03 pm

chrisgnv wrote:The OS drive on my HTPC is too small. I'm replacing it with another SSD. Having a CableCard, does that change any saved DRM settings? I haven't recorded any HBO content but do have some DRM-protected channels.

Thanks
If you CLONE your OS drive and restore it, you might be OK. Acronis has a nice feature where it will automatically expand the drive on restore. So when putting a newer but, larger drive in the same system, it works like a dream at least in the past for me. No problems with DRM shows.

If you restore, and nothing is playable, or live tv has a problem on protected channels, then sad to say the ResetDRM is what you need to do but, you will lose ANY protected recordings (if you have a odd ball one here or there)
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Space

Post by Space » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:15 pm

I've made the following hard disk changes in my system and have yet to break PlayReady:

I had a single (non-SSD) 3TB HD in my machine initially, which I used for a while (two partitions, one with 80GB for OS and the rest for recordings).
I then got a second 3TB HD and added it to system (again, with 2 partitions, 80GB and rest for storage, so I could boot off of either drive in an emergency).
At this point I started making periodic OS partition backups to the secondary drive.
My original HD crashed and I then ran with just one HD again (booted from the second HD) with the original HD removed.
I then got a 4TB HD and added that to the system (again, 2 partitions, 80GB, and rest for storage).
I am able to boot off of either HD and PlayReady still works.

So essentially, I replaced my original boot HD with no ill effects to PlayReady.

* Note that I used the free version of Macrium Reflect to backup/clone the OS partition from one drive to the other, excellent product, definitely saved me when my HD crashed. When I only had a one HD system in my early days, I had no backups. If I had had a crash then (and not been able to copy my OS partition before total failure), I would have been screwed and lost all of my copy protected recordings as well as all the tweaks to my system.