Network bridging - InfiniTV 6 PCIe

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
JTScribe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Network bridging - InfiniTV 6 PCIe

Post by JTScribe » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:01 pm

So I keep seeing all these horror stories of Comcast's MPEG-4 switchover messing up the premium channels. And since I'm using HD4600 graphics it's going to hit me at some point. Unfortunately I only have one PCIe slot in my HTPC, so it's tuner or graphics . . . I see on Ceton's website they don't support bridging with the 6-tuner like they do on the 4-tuner; is this still correct? If/when this goes down is my best bet going to be swapping out my PCIE6 for an ETH6?

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:39 pm

Out of curiosity, are you on the beta drivers? I was having issues with premium on Comcast until I switched to the Beta drivers. I was using the beta firmware but that was not enough. The drivers were hidden here http://cetoncorp.com/infinitv_support/b ... er-update/

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:57 pm

Interesting. The beta version shows the same version number as the version you download from their main page?

I ended up swapping out the CableCard which fixed some of the issues (I mostly did it so I could check that box off if/when I need to call them back). Been going back and forth with Ceton support (those guys are awesome BTW.)

The ideal SNR/signal strength is 32-37 for SNR and -12 to +12 for signal strength. As it stands I'm at 25 SNR and around -25 signal strength. One thing Ceton suggested to do was replace any splitters. Thankfully, my coax wiring is dead-nuts simple. The line from the pole is split once; one leg goes to my office, the other goes to my TV. That's the only splitter in the system. So I'm going to try a new Extreme Broadband splitter and see if that helps my signal quality and strength.

If that doesn't do it I guess I gotta hit Comcast up to boost the power or something.

Paw Paw

Post by Paw Paw » Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:36 pm

JTScribe wrote:Interesting. The beta version shows the same version number as the version you download from their main page?

I ended up swapping out the CableCard which fixed some of the issues (I mostly did it so I could check that box off if/when I need to call them back). Been going back and forth with Ceton support (those guys are awesome BTW.)

The ideal SNR/signal strength is 32-37 for SNR and -12 to +12 for signal strength. As it stands I'm at 25 SNR and around -25 signal strength. One thing Ceton suggested to do was replace any splitters. Thankfully, my coax wiring is dead-nuts simple. The line from the pole is split once; one leg goes to my office, the other goes to my TV. That's the only splitter in the system. So I'm going to try a new Extreme Broadband splitter and see if that helps my signal quality and strength.

If that doesn't do it I guess I gotta hit Comcast up to boost the power or something.

In addition to the splitter you should also check the following:

Inspect all cable terminations. Any "screw on" or "crimp on" connectors should be replaces with quality compression fittings.

If you are using a short "patch cable" to get from the wall coax outlet to the Ceton card make sure it is RG6 with good connectors. Cables supplied with DVRs and other devices are often poor quality.

Make sure you are using RG6 coax through out your wiring system and do not have any RG59 in your wiring.

Check the grounding block that Comcast usually installs where the coax enters the house. Mine is low on an outside wall and was subject to moisture infiltration and corrosion until Comcast replace it and installed weather tight terminations on it.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:14 pm

Paw Paw wrote:
JTScribe wrote:Interesting. The beta version shows the same version number as the version you download from their main page?

In addition to the splitter you should also check the following:

Inspect all cable terminations. Any "screw on" or "crimp on" connectors should be replaces with quality compression fittings.

If you are using a short "patch cable" to get from the wall coax outlet to the Ceton card make sure it is RG6 with good connectors. Cables supplied with DVRs and other devices are often poor quality.

Make sure you are using RG6 coax through out your wiring system and do not have any RG59 in your wiring.

Check the grounding block that Comcast usually installs where the coax enters the house. Mine is low on an outside wall and was subject to moisture infiltration and corrosion until Comcast replace it and installed weather tight terminations on it.
Not using any terminations so I should be good there - when I wired the house (with, yes, RG6) I did use screw-on connectors to create my own cables. Do you have any recommended brand of compression fittings?

The patch cables from the wall jack are the ones I got from Comcast, but they are RG6 rated according to the printing on the sleeve.

Good tip on the grounding block, it's right outside my back door about chest height. It should be mostly shielded from rain by the soffit and gutter but I'll definitely look into it.

Paw Paw

Post by Paw Paw » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 pm

When Comcast went digital a few years back my son and I completely rewired my house to get rid of all the junk coax that had been installed over the years. At that time I bought a good professional grade Paladin compression tool since I had always been pleased with the quality of their tools and we had a bunch of connections to do. That would be overkill and expensive for the half dozen connections that you need to redo. I see that the Home Depot sells a kit with everything you need to do the job for $34.97. It is skew 306106. My thought is that it should do the job for a limited number of connections but I am just going on the web site description and user reviews and have no experience with it.

With the signal strength and S/N ratio that you had in your post I am amazed that your other device works. If you are not having any issues with it I would first re-terminate the cable to the Ceton card first and recheck your signals

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:53 pm

Paw Paw wrote:When Comcast went digital a few years back my son and I completely rewired my house to get rid of all the junk coax that had been installed over the years. At that time I bought a good professional grade Paladin compression tool since I had always been pleased with the quality of their tools and we had a bunch of connections to do. That would be overkill and expensive for the half dozen connections that you need to redo. I see that the Home Depot sells a kit with everything you need to do the job for $34.97. It is skew 306106. My thought is that it should do the job for a limited number of connections but I am just going on the web site description and user reviews and have no experience with it.

With the signal strength and S/N ratio that you had in your post I am amazed that your other device works. If you are not having any issues with it I would first re-terminate the cable to the Ceton card first and recheck your signals
I got a kit at Lowe's today and just practiced on the connection with my cable modem.

Now this interesting. I'm not sure if the signals are comparable, but here's what I see on my cable modem's uplink page:

1 Locked QAM256 1 657000000 Hz -0.2 dBmV 38.1 dB 50095 22
2 Locked QAM256 2 663000000 Hz -0.6 dBmV 37.9 dB 17 0
3 Locked QAM256 3 669000000 Hz -0.6 dBmV 37.9 dB 30 0
4 Locked QAM256 4 675000000 Hz -0.3 dBmV 37.5 dB 67 0
5 Locked QAM256 5 681000000 Hz 0.1 dBmV 38.0 dB 62 0
6 Locked QAM256 6 687000000 Hz 0.0 dBmV 37.9 dB 82 0
7 Locked QAM256 7 693000000 Hz -0.2 dBmV 37.8 dB 207 0
8 Locked QAM256 8 699000000 Hz 0.0 dBmV 37.8 dB 171 0
9 Locked QAM256 9 705000000 Hz 0.4 dBmV 37.9 dB 359 0
10 Locked QAM256 10 711000000 Hz 0.3 dBmV 37.9 dB 423 0
11 Locked QAM256 11 717000000 Hz 0.2 dBmV 37.8 dB 287 0
12 Locked QAM256 12 723000000 Hz 0.2 dBmV 37.7 dB 268 0
13 Locked QAM256 13 729000000 Hz -0.2 dBmV 37.5 dB 322 0
14 Locked QAM256 14 735000000 Hz -0.7 dBmV 37.3 dB 358 0
15 Locked QAM256 15 741000000 Hz -1.1 dBmV 37.2 dB 420 0
16 Locked QAM256 16 747000000 Hz -1.1 dBmV 37.2 dB 362 0

Signal strength and SNR are right on the money of what Ceton is looking for on their end. Are cable modem QAM channels comparable to those used for digital television?

I'm going to go make a new patch cable and re-terminate the plug coming out of the attic. I've got a new splitter coming from Amazon so my next step will be to go up into the attic and replace the splitter and re-do those connections if necessary.

I'm kicking myself, I wish I had checked the cable modem data BEFORE I re-did these cables.

EDIT

Boom!

Made up a new patch cable with RG6-rated compression fittings on each end, near ideal signal. Thanks, everyone!

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sun Mar 13, 2016 9:26 am

JTScribe wrote:So I keep seeing all these horror stories of Comcast's MPEG-4 switchover messing up the premium channels. And since I'm using HD4600 graphics it's going to hit me at some point. Unfortunately I only have one PCIe slot in my HTPC, so it's tuner or graphics . . . I see on Ceton's website they don't support bridging with the 6-tuner like they do on the 4-tuner; is this still correct? If/when this goes down is my best bet going to be swapping out my PCIE6 for an ETH6?
It sounds like your issue was solved but to your original question, yes it still unsupported but it is able to be achieved. I've successfully achieved network tuning with a PCIe6 on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. This guide was made for Windows 8.1 but it will work for both 7, 8.1, & 10.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:01 am

Sharks wrote:
JTScribe wrote:So I keep seeing all these horror stories of Comcast's MPEG-4 switchover messing up the premium channels. And since I'm using HD4600 graphics it's going to hit me at some point. Unfortunately I only have one PCIe slot in my HTPC, so it's tuner or graphics . . . I see on Ceton's website they don't support bridging with the 6-tuner like they do on the 4-tuner; is this still correct? If/when this goes down is my best bet going to be swapping out my PCIE6 for an ETH6?
It sounds like your issue was solved but to your original question, yes it still unsupported but it is able to be achieved. I've successfully achieved network tuning with a PCIe6 on both Windows 7 and Windows 8.1. This guide was made for Windows 8.1 but it will work for both 7, 8.1, & 10.
Yea, My host is Windows 7 and my WIndows 10 machine...it works but, flakey...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012