Series recording at two different times

ewtaylo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Series recording at two different times

Post by ewtaylo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:51 am

Apologies if this is not in the correct area. Searches on this issue are proving fruitless.

I record the Today show for my wife. So I set up a series recording for it and I get the 7AM, 9AM, 10AM shows and the 2:12AM replay. So I decided to be smart and set my series recording to get only the 7AM show.

However, on Saturdays the show comes on at 5AM.

Is there any way to set up a new series recording to grab only the 5AM shows? I would then have 2 series recordings for the same series but that is fine with me.

Much less work than recording everything and then having to remember to go into MMC and remove the showings I dont want recorded.

Any info would be appreciated.

PS. i know there is a way to get multiple series recording going for the same show because my kids somehow accomplished it with the cartoons they record. however no one knows how it happened.

Thanks much

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:00 am

Not a problem.

Start your work from the guide itself. Find the Saturday 5am showing, Get Info on it, and Record Series. Go into the recording detail and tell it to record "around 5am".

Voila. Now you have two series recordings in the list, one 5am and one 7am.

This is how you do any multiple showings of a series. I have Big Bang Theory reruns recording at 6pm and 730pm, as well as the standard "new, CBS only, anytime" recording for the new showings. It all starts with the show in the guide at the time you want to record it.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:02 am

ewtaylo wrote:Apologies if this is not in the correct area. Searches on this issue are proving fruitless.

I record the Today show for my wife. So I set up a series recording for it and I get the 7AM, 9AM, 10AM shows and the 2:12AM replay. So I decided to be smart and set my series recording to get only the 7AM show.

However, on Saturdays the show comes on at 5AM.

Is there any way to set up a new series recording to grab only the 5AM shows? I would then have 2 series recordings for the same series but that is fine with me.

Much less work than recording everything and then having to remember to go into MMC and remove the showings I dont want recorded.

Any info would be appreciated.

PS. i know there is a way to get multiple series recording going for the same show because my kids somehow accomplished it with the cartoons they record. however no one knows how it happened.

Thanks much
Strange, when I set up a Series record for the Today show at 7am, it only records all the Today shows Mon-Fri at 7am. The 8am airing is seen as a repeat, so it doesn't record, and the 10am one is seen as a totally different show (for which I can set up a separate Series if I want). The Saturday edition is also seen as part of this second (10am) Series, so it also records (the Saturday edition is on at 7am in my guide, not 5am).

Anyway, if you want to set up two Series for the same show that record at different times, here is the (not so obvious) procedure:

1) Create the first Series normally, and change the "Airtime" to "Around 7am".
2) Find the Saturday 5am airing in the guide and bring up the Synopsis page and right-arrow to the actions page.
3) Select "Advanced Record".
4) Change "Frequency" to "Record Series".
5) Change "Airtime" to "Around 5am".
6) Select "Record".

You should now have two Series for the Today show, one will show up in the Series list as "Today (5:00 AM)" and the other "Today (7:00 AM)".

Note that if you delete either one of the two Series, it may also delete the other Series as well, so you will have to recreate them if you want them (or just one of them) back. I think this only happens if you "cancel series" while viewing an individual show. If you do it from the Series list, it will only delete the one Series you selected and the other one will remain (but will no longer have the time in parenthesis displayed when listed, but will still only record at the specified time).

Also, when you specify "Around X:XX" for the Airtime, it will only record shows that match if they START within 15 minutes of the given time, so if a show happens to start 30 minutes earlier or later than usual, it will not be recorded. Also, if the episode is unable to be recorded for any reason (conflict, tuner error, etc) I don't think it will reschedule to record a repeat of the episode (although I am not 100% sure about this).

Space

Post by Space » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:07 am

adam1991 wrote:Not a problem.

Start your work from the guide itself. Find the Saturday 5am showing, Get Info on it, and Record Series. Go into the recording detail and tell it to record "around 5am".

Voila. Now you have two series recordings in the list, one 5am and one 7am.

This is how you do any multiple showings of a series. I have Big Bang Theory reruns recording at 6pm and 730pm, as well as the standard "new, CBS only, anytime" recording for the new showings. It all starts with the show in the guide at the time you want to record it.
Adam,
For me, this doesn't work. If I set a Series record on a show for say at 7am. Then I select that same show, but an airing at 9am, I am unable to create a new Series for it, because it has the "cancel series" option available, not "create series", at least that's what happened when I tested it just now.

I had to do the procedure described in my prior post to get it to work.

ewtaylo

Post by ewtaylo » Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:10 am

Space- You instructions work perfectly. Thank you very much

Adam- I has the same issues with the Today program that Space did. I am going to try it on other series to see if I can get your instructions to work.

I appreciate all the help!