MP4 files and WMC

kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

MP4 files and WMC

Post by kd6icz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:31 am

Ok... So I'm finally converting all my DVD and BluRay movies to mp4. I have a couple of questions regarding adding/playing these files in WMC.

The first is how do I get WMC to play the 5.1 audio instead of the 2 channel?

The second is does WMC have the ability to read the Metadata embedded in the file?

I can't seem to get it to do either...

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 7:00 am

You have to use Win7DSFilterTweaker to disassociate Windows' built in MP4 splitter/audio decoder so it will use an installed codec splitter/audio decoder.

I use LAV for my codec.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:09 pm

Wilky13 wrote:You have to use Win7DSFilterTweaker to disassociate Windows' built in MP4 splitter/audio decoder so it will use an installed codec splitter/audio decoder.

I use LAV for my codec.
Would this also work on the Windows 8 Netflix and Hulu apps? I notice they default to stereo as well.

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:19 am

Win7DSFilterTweaker is just for associating file types, and setting merit. It would depend on the app settings and how you have your codecs set up to bitstream.

Also, I am running Windows 7. Sorry, I just saw that the original question was in the Windows 8 forum. I ran Windows 8 for about 2 months, hated it so much that I went back to Windows 7.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:16 am

Wilky13 wrote:Win7DSFilterTweaker is just for associating file types, and setting merit. It would depend on the app settings and how you have your codecs set up to bitstream.

Also, I am running Windows 7. Sorry, I just saw that the original question was in the Windows 8 forum. I ran Windows 8 for about 2 months, hated it so much that I went back to Windows 7.
Ok... I'm glad you brought that up. This is a brand new build that I just finished yesterday and my very first Windows 8 build. I'm mixed so far in my opinion. I do see differences in WMC from Win7. I know people say it's the same but I have seen a couple subtle differences.

What made you go back to 7?

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:57 pm

Windows 7 seemed more stable to me. But the biggest reason was extender support. You can ONLY use an Xbox 360 as an extender with Windows 8. Windows 7 allows all of them (360, echo, linksys, etc.).

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:04 pm

Wilky13 wrote:Windows 7 seemed more stable to me. But the biggest reason was extender support. You can ONLY use an Xbox 360 as an extender with Windows 8. Windows 7 allows all of them (360, echo, linksys, etc.).
Got it. I only use 360's so the extender thing is no big issue. I wasted $300 on a couple of Echos once. Such pieces of junk! At this point with 360's available all day long for under $100 at Game Stop I don't see why anyone would bother with the others. I've heard the whole power consumption argument. Just like everything else in life, you don't get something for nothing. The smooth operation of the 360 is worth the few pennies of extra electricity. But that's just my opinion.

As far as WMC itself. The one huge improvement I've noticed is that it appears the codec was improved to mask symbol errors. I haven't seen one single error since using this machine on Monday. I think I would have at least seen a couple by now.

Also setup was much smoother. Installing Digital Cable Advisor and PlayReady was seamless. Where in Windows 7 it was always a clunky balancing act. At least for me. I just wish Windows 8 played nicer as an HTPC OS.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:17 pm

Wilky13 wrote:You have to use Win7DSFilterTweaker to disassociate Windows' built in MP4 splitter/audio decoder so it will use an installed codec splitter/audio decoder.

I use LAV for my codec.
Ok. I downloaded the two items above and I think I answered all the questions correctly. But still plays the stereo tracks. It seemed easy enough to set up but obviously I did something wrong.

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:45 pm

I'm out of town. Will post some pics when I get home.

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri Feb 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Wilky13 wrote:I'm out of town. Will post some pics when I get home.
Ok. Sounds good. I actually did get it to work BUT it broke my Recorded TV playback (Copy Protected stuff). So I had to undo it. Also does this mod work on extenders (360) as well?

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:43 am

The only thing I do in Win7DSFilterTweaker is go to "Media Foundation" and then only select 'MP4' and 'M4V'. Don't mess with anything under "Preferred Decoders" or "MS Codec Tweaks" because that may break LiveTV.

Then, in LAV Audio make sure you have a check next to everything your AVR can decode under 'Bitstreaming'.

Finally, in LAV Splitter make sure you have "Select best audio track" selected. I think this is the problem you may be having, since you AAC and AC3 tracks are BOTH 5.1, LAV is selecting the AAC track. To test this enable the LAV Splitter tray icon. When playing a movie right click the tray icon for LAV Splitter (the white one) and see which audio stream has a check next to it. (My AAC stream is 2-ch, so LAV picks the 6-ch AC3 track on my HTPC, unless there is a DTS track, then it choose that one since DTS is usually a much higher bitrate).

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:13 am

Wilky13 wrote:The only thing I do in Win7DSFilterTweaker is go to "Media Foundation" and then only select 'MP4' and 'M4V'. Don't mess with anything under "Preferred Decoders" or "MS Codec Tweaks" because that may break LiveTV.

Then, in LAV Audio make sure you have a check next to everything your AVR can decode under 'Bitstreaming'.

Finally, in LAV Splitter make sure you have "Select best audio track" selected. I think this is the problem you may be having, since you AAC and AC3 tracks are BOTH 5.1, LAV is selecting the AAC track. To test this enable the LAV Splitter tray icon. When playing a movie right click the tray icon for LAV Splitter (the white one) and see which audio stream has a check next to it. (My AAC stream is 2-ch, so LAV picks the 6-ch AC3 track on my HTPC, unless there is a DTS track, then it choose that one since DTS is usually a much higher bitrate).
That was much simpler than I thought it was. It works! Thank you!

I also found out that if I don't put a stereo track and only put the 5.1 track it will play it. That will be useful when playing on the 360 extenders.

Wilky13

Post by Wilky13 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:11 am

Glad it worked!