Copy Protection and Ceton Tuner with CableCard or M-Card

RudyTivo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copy Protection and Ceton Tuner with CableCard or M-Card

Post by RudyTivo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:17 am

setups. Or any other cards that operate with the use of M-Cards.

I wanted to know from anyone who uses these type of tuners, if they have any problems with copy protection not allowing them to record some programs. If so, is it a large percent and which types of programs are you unable to record? I'm coming from an old Ati Theater Tv Wonder Hd 650 Combo and didn't have to worry about any encryption blocking my recordings. I also didn't splurge and buy a large channel package from my cable provider and never needed a cable box while on that card either, so this may also have been a factor in my recordings not getting blocked. I realize the card changes the game and basically blocks certain channels according to the cable package that you buy and I wanted to know to what extent it keeps someone from recording programs. Thanks for the info.

DrSmith

Post by DrSmith » Sun Jan 17, 2016 1:55 am

Hmm, it's hard to tell whether you have one question or about 5 of them. I will try to decipher a little and maybe you can clarify what you are asking.

The CableCard (all are M-type cards now) will be activated or "paired" with cable company equipment and will then have a valid line-up. This line up will be some gang of channels you subscribe to, like basic cable, extended, premium, etc. You have to call your cable company to get the card activated, although some cable companies have online/web activation.

Your tuner (Ceton) is happy to try and tune (decode) any of the hundreds of channels that are available in the stream and will successfully send any channel from your activated line-up on to Windows Media Center for storage and/or live viewing.

So WMC + Ceton + CableCard will successfully record any channels that you are subscribed to. If you are not subscribed to a channel the Ceton will report "No Signal" on that channel and WMC will not save any content from there. To answer your most literal question - no - people with WMC + Ceton + valid activated CableCard have no difficulties recording any shows.

There is another level of protection, known as copy control, which happens on a per show basis (not per channel). But I don't think that is what you are asking about.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Jan 17, 2016 2:25 am

Only programs marked Copy Never can't be recorded. Those are typically only high priced PPV like boxing, etc. Nothing can record those, even a cable company DVR.

Cable cards don't block anything you were getting before. But if it's not in your package, you won't get it.

RudyTivo

Post by RudyTivo » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:43 pm

mdavej wrote:Only programs marked Copy Never can't be recorded. Those are typically only high priced PPV like boxing, etc. Nothing can record those, even a cable company DVR.
Is "Copy Never" the only setting or are their others?
What about NFL, NBA, Championship games, or any other sporting events not on PPV but would be considered to have a large audience? Are they protected at all?
Also, what about movies that come on paid for channels like HBO or Showtime and movie channels that usually come with a basic package like MoviePlex? Can those be recorded without any problems?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Jan 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Everything except a few PPV are Copy Once or Copy Freely. That includes everything you listed above. Most of my premiums (HBO, etc.) are Copy Once, others Copy Freely. I can record everything I subscribe to. I've not run across and broadcast sports event that I couldn't record. But the card won't give you anything you aren't paying for.

PIR8FAN@GMAIL.COM

Post by PIR8FAN@GMAIL.COM » Thu Jan 21, 2016 1:00 am

I am having a problem where WMC7 seems to think there is a copy flag for a specific recording. Usually this occurs on broadcast TV. Local NBC, Fox and CW are the worst offenders. If i look at the Ceton Web page for the device it does not show a Broadcast flag. In addition, WMC7 will start a recording and in windows properties there is no flag.

I have complained to the FCC and they make their inquiry, then things quiet down for a month or two.

This has gone on since M$ went to the new guide.

Ceton 4 Tuner PCI-EX (2)
Ceton 6 Tuner PCI-EX (1)
~~Verizon FiOS~~ (Baltimore and Washington, DC viewing area)
i7-4790k
16GB RAM
24TB Recorded TV Storage
XBOX360 as Extender (3)

retracmt

Post by retracmt » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:08 am

I am having the same problem with WMC7 not allowing me to record certain broadcast channels. I find they are all HD channels, the SD channels work fine. 504 which is the HD channel for NBC seems to be the big culprit. I have also had problems with recording FX in the past. The whole thing drives me crazy! :crazy:

My setup is:

Ceton 4 Tuner PCI-EX (1)
~~Verizon FiOS~~ (Baltimore and Washington, DC viewing area)
4GB RAM
2TB Recorded TV Storage
XBOX360 as Extender (1)

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:22 am

All local broadcast channels must be marked copy-freely. The channel may have an erroneous CGMS-A flag. I would open a ticket with Ceton support. They may be able to provide you with some beta firmware. I know there is beta firmware for the ETH 6 tuner to resolve this issue. Here are some similar threads:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=8675
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =13&t=9745
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct