Remote for web content?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
TromboneKenny

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote for web content?

Post by TromboneKenny » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:37 am

Hi gang,

My setup: Win7 WMC, Ortek MCE remote (although I'm just using its IR receiver these days), Harmony 650 remote.

Recently I've been shutting down WMC and going to the web for more content (HBO Go, WatchESPN, Amazon Video, Netflix, YouTube, etc.). I'm not doing anything in WMC to get to them; I just close or minimize the app and load up Chrome, navigate where I want, and full screen the video.

What bugs me though is the controls programmed on the Ortek (and the Harmony that's mimicking) are specific to WMC instead of the "standard" other sites use (play/pause being mapped to Ctrl-P instead of Space, for example). So the WMC remote only works in WMC. I have to pull out the RF keyboard (Logitech MK270) when using those web apps.

How do folks here usually handle this? Do I program something else as a device into the Harmony that works in these web apps, and what? Do I buy another remote to use in this environment, and if so which?

All I really know about is Space to pause/unpause. Are there other "standard" commands honored across the different web apps?

Or should I ditch watching these through the computer and stream through the Vizio TV? Or buy a Roku? (Somehow the HTPC just seems easier, but maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree?)

Thanks for any insights,
-TBK

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 2:39 pm

Yeah, unfortunately you are barking up the wrong tree. How come you are not using the Vizio apps? Since you have a Harmony it is already programmed for the Vizio I presume, and it would "just work" (and with better quality than a browser as well).

TromboneKenny

Post by TromboneKenny » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:31 pm

3rob3 wrote:Yeah, unfortunately you are barking up the wrong tree. How come you are not using the Vizio apps? Since you have a Harmony it is already programmed for the Vizio I presume, and it would "just work" (and with better quality than a browser as well).
It's an AVR issue; I don't (think I) have a sound channel back from the TV to the receiver. (I use DVI-HDMI and optical out of the HTPC because the HDMI through the AVR was bothering me, especially when the PC adjusted when the AVR was off.) But you're probably right; coding an activity into the Harmony to switch the TV and AVR around is probably the most straightforward. And doesn't change anything with the HTPC, so it's just a harmony activity to switch back, which is nice.

Quality through Chrome to HBO Go, WatchESPN, Amazon hasn't bothered me. The AVR shows Dolby DS and the PQ is good after it buffers a bit. Much better than a few years ago on the HTPC.

Thanks for the tip,
-TBK