USFF HTPC?

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
chrisgnv

HTPC Specs: Show details

USFF HTPC?

Post by chrisgnv » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:25 am

Hi. New here. Searching for a low-cost USFF box to use as an WMC/Plex box. My only use of WMC is likely to be as a PVR, with recorded programs to be served by Plex through Roku. Broadcast will be our only source of non-Internet content.

The same HTPC will also be the Plex server. I might also run Playon but, considering that I have a Roku 2 and no cable subscription to log into content web sites with (e.g., TBS) I don't see a lot of added value in Playon.

Considering that I'd be recording broadcast TV from an HDHomeRun or similar, using MCEBuddy for post-processing, and Plex might serving something to the Roku, all at the same time, what kind of CPU do I need? I hope to buy it used or refurbished but want the CPU to be sufficient to last a few years. Is an i3 sufficient? Or do I need an i5?

Power efficiency is a concern, but not paramount. Being quiet is, too. A low-but-adequately powered fanless box would be ideal. Support for a 2.5" HDD would be useful but not crucial. I have a 30GB m.2 NGFF SDD for the OS, if a newer NUC is better. As an example, is this refurbished Lenovo M91 sufficient, including use of the DisplayPort by way of a DP->HDMI adapter cable? (I have a USB IR receiver I can use with a remote.)

At 10.8" x 9.4" x 3.1" the referenced Lenovo doesn't qualify as USFF, I guess, but it needn't sit right next to the TV. Smaller is better but this is cheap enough to outweigh that factor.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:58 am

chrisgnv wrote:including use of the DisplayPort by way of a DP->HDMI adapter cable?
You may want to reconsider DP if you plan to run Protected Channels through WMC. WMC will not play Protected through DP.

chrisgnv

Post by chrisgnv » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:04 pm

Thanks for the detail about DP. I decided to buy a Intel NUC i5 with 2.5 inch drive support. It has an HDMI output. That way, if the whole WMC/PVR thing falls through, I get a decent desktop computer out of it. I already have a spare 60 GB m.2 SSD for the OS, a 2.5 inch HDD for data, and a wireless keyboard and mouse. I only have to buy RAM which isn't too bad.