Can I start a specific app with a button press?

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
68rustang

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can I start a specific app with a button press?

Post by 68rustang » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:42 pm

I am running xbox360s all over my house primarily as media center extenders connected to a windows 8.1 WMC PC. I control them with Logitech Harmony remotes and on startup they go right to WMC and start Live TV. Is there a way to program the remote or configure the xbox360 to fire up..say "Plex" or any app really with the press of a button so we don't have to back out of WMC, navigate the xbox menu and select the Plex app?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:46 pm

I always wished this was possible, I don't think it is though.

One trick I use is to press the xbox button on the remote (you'd have to map one to this on your Harmony) and it will pop-up a menu, scroll left once, select recent, and all your apps will be there. While running the app and wanting to return to WMC press the Xbox button, scroll right once, and you can select Media Center.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:47 pm

Can't you do whatever you want with a single button press on Harmony or other universal remote?

68rustang

Post by 68rustang » Mon Dec 28, 2015 3:31 am

3rob3 wrote:One trick I use is to press the xbox button on the remote (you'd have to map one to this on your Harmony) and it will pop-up a menu, scroll left once, select recent, and all your apps will be there. While running the app and wanting to return to WMC press the Xbox button, scroll right once, and you can select Media Center.
I didn't know about this. It won't help with the grandparents and babysitters but still good to know.

I can program the Harmony buttons to do almost anything. My question is what command can I send with harmony that will open the plex app on the 360?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:28 pm

68rustang wrote:My question is what command can I send with harmony that will open the plex app on the 360?
Like I said, there isn't one. The best you could do was program a macro a macro containing all the button presses you use to close WMC, browse to Plex, and open it. I don't think that would work well or be reliable though.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:37 am

Maybe not perfectly, but I deal with similar "reliability" just because the darn cable box only has a "toggle" on the power, not a separate power on/off code. If you make it as simple as you can - i.e. go to the "home" position, and navigate from a known spot, it can be done. Just expect the odd failure from time to time.