After reverting back from win10 to win8.1 WMC not recording

Yourpcmedic

HTPC Specs: Show details

After reverting back from win10 to win8.1 WMC not recording

Post by Yourpcmedic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:14 pm

I was reading that some people had success getting WMC to run on win10 so I gave in and did the upgrade. I then ran the recommended WMC installer ( I believe this installer leverages a WMC version that was part of a win10 preview version, prior to Microsoft's bad decision to nix support and distribution) and could not get it to run. Frustrated, I reverted back to win 8.1. WMC runs now, but it does not record any scheduled programs unless I nudge it by manually starting WMC. I found a link that suggested re-registering some components in an elevated CMD prompt window. Tried this, and WMC lost the ability to see the TV tuner card at all. System restored, and I am back at WMC working, but not recording on its own without manual nudging.

First - be warned that WMC may be borked if you do the upgrade/downgrade shuffle. Second - anyone have any thoughts on fixing this without making it worse? I am a computer engineer, but there is woefully little documentation on this product. I get the feeling that the powers that be at Microsoft never really wanted it to be supported from the get-go.

(as an aside: NEVER NEVER NEVER purchase software that is available as a download only or a cloud service because apparently, these SOBs can and will simply discontinue distribution and support without regard to the customer base as they see fit. And don't expect a refund.)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:01 pm

Yourpcmedic wrote:
1) I was reading that some people had success getting WMC to run on win10.....
2) I reverted back to win 8.1. WMC runs now, but it does not record any scheduled programs unless I nudge it by manually starting WMC.....
Re: 1) version 10 (v10) works quite well. Guide populated without assistance, Play and Record copy once is working, Couple little bugs here and there, but overall it looks like a winner.
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ternatives

Re: 2) I never had that exact problem before, but if I did, I would likely try a WMC Reset. I have used Method 3 on Win7, and it does return WMC to "Brand New" then run WMC Setup "Custom".

Method 3:
Rebuild Media Center data store and check:

i. Click on start

ii. In the search box type in cmd, right click on cmd and select “Run as administrator”

iii. Open a command prompt, and run the following command:

%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask

iv. Close command window, and reboot the computer.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 877#p98877

Yourpcmedic

Post by Yourpcmedic » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:53 pm

I seem to be stuck at "Downloading TV Setup Data. Is this a problem due to Microsoft dropping support? Is there some way to force the download to occur?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:21 pm

Yourpcmedic

Post by Yourpcmedic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:29 am

Tried the suggestion in your previously posted link. no love. Going to do (another) system restore to get back to the point prior to forcing a WMC setup to be run. Should be two WMC related services be set as manual or automatic by default?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:45 am

Yourpcmedic wrote:Tried the suggestion in your previously posted link. no love. Going to do (another) system restore to get back to the point prior to forcing a WMC setup to be run. Should be two WMC related services be set as manual or automatic by default?
I don't know....

Yourpcmedic

Post by Yourpcmedic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 3:17 am

So, to summarize, WMC is running, but scheduled programs are not recording unless I happen to be on the same station with live tv selected. Obviously, this defeats the purpose. Everything was working within acceptable parameters prior to switching to win10 and then back to 8.1. Since Microsoft does not appear to occur anymore, is there reinstallation software available as an .exe or .iso?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 4:03 am

Yourpcmedic wrote:So, to summarize, WMC is running, but scheduled programs are not recording unless I happen to be on the same station with live tv selected. Obviously, this defeats the purpose. Everything was working within acceptable parameters prior to switching to win10 and then back to 8.1. Since Microsoft does not appear to occur anymore, is there reinstallation software available as an .exe or .iso?
Maybe part 2) of post #2 might straighten it out. But that is a complete reset..... Makes it Brand New like the first day you saw it. You have to redo DCA, Tuner setup, Zip and the Guide, PlayReady.....everything. You also loose any series setups you might have. But its a fresh start and fixes pretty much everything.

There is one less drastic thing you could try, that might be more like what you are asking for. Windows Programs and features..... you can deselect WMC from being a feature of windows. Then add it back later....windows gives you somewhat of a fresh start.

Yourpcmedic

Post by Yourpcmedic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:04 pm

Tried unselecting and reselecting as a Windows feature under programs and features. Also tried the suggestion that simulates a fresh install. No change after unselecting and reselecting, and when I do the second option, I lock up during the TV setup (downloading the content based on my zipcode). I can manually run the media center update. It completes, but does still the TV setup will not complete. (freezes at same spot indefinitely). I can always try upgrading to 10 again if I can get assurance that the version of WMC being recommended for it on this board will definitely work and allow both the guide information to be updated as well as the DVR features to work. ( not to mention win10 recognizing and playing nice with my tv tuner -- VisionTek TH550 PRO PCI). The website for the company does not acknowledge it working on anything later than Vista, although win 8.1 recognizes it just fine as an ATU Unified AVStream driver.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:25 pm

Usually after a WMC reset, I re install the tuner drivers, then run DCA (its up in Extras) manual download and install it if its not there, then I do the WMC setup. If the PlayReady option is not available during WMC setup I manually download that too. Both Digital Cable Assistant (DCA) and PlayReady are available from Microsoft.