InfiniTV4 and pixelation

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
groucho111

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV4 and pixelation

Post by groucho111 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 9:50 pm

I have had my WMC setup with Infinitv4 since May of 2013. Comcast in Indianapolis area. No issues. It is installed in my HTPC in my living room. One xbox in the kids game room and another in my bedroom as extenders. In just the last couple weeks I have been getting a lot of weak signal errors and pixelation on various cable channels. the wife acceptance factor has gone down.

I ran setup for the tuners all over again. No good.
I read another post somewhere about Play Ready getting corrupted. deleted and re-installed. No good.
Installed a backup disk image from about a year ago thinking some software update "broke" something. No change. (Went back to a current image)
I have an HDHR in another room in my house. The signal from HDHR over the network was crystal clear, so I ruled out an issue with the outside cable.
I uninstalled IFTV4 and installed it in another PC and it worked fine.

This leaves the last thing to check, the cable from the wall to the HTPC. Due to where my HTPC is in my living room I had to run about 20 ft of RG6 coax to it. It is the same cable that I used for two years before this with no issues. Now all of the sudden it went bad? I bought a new one, haven't tried it yet.

I will let everyone know the results of the new coax. Any other thoughts? is there any windows update or codec update that could have caused the issue?

thanks for any help.

Steve.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:25 am

Here are a few different directions to go regarding weak signal.

1) is that the signal just might be weak, easy enough to check, do a search here and look for a file called allcetonsignals.zip

2) another idea is, WMC erroneously reports weak signal. Google that. There are a couple fixes out there.

3) windows updates are always a crap shoot. Use system restore to go back to when things were running good.

4) All though I have never experienced it, I've read that antivirus can cause WMC to throw a weak signal at you.

5) one more thing..... you might be experiencing problems associated with the MPEG-4 Roll Out.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 036#p95036

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 345#p99345

groucho111

Post by groucho111 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 12:46 pm

Ok, so the issue has been fixed! Crash2009's first solution was the answer. Weak signal. I have lived in my house for about 12 years and never had an issue. Had Comcast for about two years with the SAME cables, connectors, splitters, etc with no issue. Then all of the sudden I was having cable and internet issues. BUT all of those things were a problem.

Comcast sent out a field tech yesterday. He checked my signal before coming out and it was a -12. They showed me getting all kinds of connection errors. When I built my house I had high quality quad shielded RG6 installed. The Comcast tech said the coax connectors the installers used were low quality/ horrible. He replaced all the connectors out at the street, replaced all the connectors where the cable comes into my house, installed a high quality splitter for me where the cable comes into my attic and another high quality splitter in my office where i split for cable modem and HDHomeRun Prime in my office. My signal went to a zero! TV is working great! no pixelation.

we were having internet issues at the same time. within just the last couple weeks we were dropping our internet 10 times a day. That is fixed now also.

Comcast gets a bad rap sometimes but, I am happy with the tech and the service they provided!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 3:42 am

Heh heh, I guess I had the bases covered.

Glad you got it straight.