WMC Metadata: Is there an alternative?

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
SJMaye

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC Metadata: Is there an alternative?

Post by SJMaye » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:04 am

I got through the change from Rovi in June-ish. Ever since the metadata for shows is poor. Little information, no ratings, genre .... Is there another source I can point my MC to for this information?

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:05 pm

Is the new metadata provider working fine for everyone else?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:34 pm

It doesn't work for anybody. That's why I have TiVo now.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:55 pm

mdavej wrote:It doesn't work for anybody. That's why I have TiVo now.
Wow, mdavej! That says a lot coming from you. I have seen your activity here for a while. So, has everyone given up on WMC? I am trying to create a media server and use the new HDHomerun DVR. I guess I need to get moving.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:57 pm

mdavej wrote:It doesn't work for anybody. That's why I have TiVo now.
To be clear, the Rovi update "works" for some or most users. I have very little issues, just some mismatched pictures and no star ratings. I'm sure there are other details that are lacking but I'm unaffected by it.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:03 pm

In my case I see no ratings, little or no definition by genre etc for the movie schedule, release dates missing, very little info regarding the show. Super sparse.

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:41 pm

It works well enough for me... and no one in my family is complaining (which is actually quite a positive testimonial). I wish football games always said who was playing, but the rest of the issues are small in our usage.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:50 pm

Same boat as most above, it works fine for me. The only glaring issue I see is many/most football games don't show who is playing. Fortunately I don't watch a lot of football.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:00 pm

From my end its hit and miss. When you record things off the beaten path trouble starts. My wife records some weird stuff and we record kids shows for my son. Both tend to have problems. The mainstream popular shows seem to usually work properly (most of the time).
Too many other guide data problems combine go to make things slightly unbearable.

If the main quality problem is source related, and not due to inconsistencies in MS munging the Rovi data for WMC, I'm guessing when it becomes time for the XB1TV DRM tuner and DVR solution to be released, there's going to be a huge backlash from new users. Watch this space.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:42 pm

STC wrote:If the main quality problem is source related, and not due to inconsistencies in MS munging the Rovi data for WMC, I'm guessing when it becomes time for the XB1TV DRM tuner and DVR solution to be released, there's going to be a huge backlash from new users. Watch this space.
Don't they already use OneGuide w/ Rovi for the HDMI passthrough of your cable box feature? Don't hear people complaining about that.

STC

Post by STC » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:46 pm

Right, which is why I talked about MS possibly being the problem converting Rovi data into usable WMC data.
Until they have a DVR and DRM tuner solution and people in North America actually en-mass use this thing, there aren't going to be big complaints yet (if the problem is Rovi).

Presently, they offer a FTA tuner, but I think the uptake is very slow (and is available in Europe with different guide providers).
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

RyC

Post by RyC » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:56 pm

I'm pretty happy here, I personally think the descriptions are better than they were with zap2it. Just some mismatched images, but I'll take what I can get.

I do see genre and movie release date (in the original air date field) on every movie though

oakley516

Post by oakley516 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:29 pm

SJMaye wrote:In my case I see no ratings, little or no definition by genre etc for the movie schedule, release dates missing, very little info regarding the show. Super sparse.
I have noticed this too, recently on the TCM channel. Sometimes I'll look through guide and check out what classic movies they are showing for the next week or so, and under the zap2it data, the release year of the movie would be prominently displayed.

But with the Rovi data, many of them just say release date 1/1/90. And of course the movie review star ratings are still missing. For that channel, the move release year is interesting to know.

I haven't had any trouble with the mainstream TV shows though.