Please critique my upcoming new build

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
djsinco

HTPC Specs: Show details

Please critique my upcoming new build

Post by djsinco » Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:49 pm

Hello:

An aging 2009 HP desktop computer is starting to concern me. I use this as my office computer, but also stream from my HTPC using Win 7 WMC.

My new build will replace the HP. I do not game, editing video with Pinnacle will be the most demanding task for the new machine.

This will be my 2nd build, the first was lots of fun and a great success.

I have only begun thinking about sourcing my components, and will stick with Amazon or Newegg; whichever is cheaper.

Here is my current component list, subject to much change - I will only reuse my 2 Blu Ray writers and 1 1 TB data drive. I will use a new SSD as boot drive and for software space.

Thanks in advance!

2016cpu1.JPG

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:47 am

By chance what is the current build configuration? One idea might be to take the current build & make it strictly a HTPC & build a new machine for regular use.

As far as parts is concerned, what you have looks ok, with the exception of the power supply. I would think that you could find a decent power supply for less then the price shows in the picture

djsinco

Post by djsinco » Tue Dec 01, 2015 8:02 am

choliscott wrote:By chance what is the current build configuration? One idea might be to take the current build & make it strictly a HTPC & build a new machine for regular use.

As far as parts is concerned, what you have looks ok, with the exception of the power supply. I would think that you could find a decent power supply for less then the price shows in the picture
Thanks for your thoughts. My current HTPC specs are in my avatar info area.

I have no intent to change or swap computers, only to build a new desktop computer that will serve to stream content from my current HTPC in addition to other duties.

I really like the Seasonic power supply series; will probably go with a 400 or 460 watt unit in the end, but, still TBD.