How can I stream WMC playback through LAN remote desktop

Nitrousbird

HTPC Specs: Show details

How can I stream WMC playback through LAN remote desktop

Post by Nitrousbird » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:14 pm

What I'm trying to do:

Watch Windows Media Center recordings via a remote desktop connection (be it Windows RDC, Teamviewer, or anything else)

Gear:
- All CAT5E, Gigabit connections
- Connecting to my HTPC, SSD, Haswell i3, 8GB ram...it runs very well, WMC on Win7.
- Viewing on my main rig, Haswell i7, 16GB RAM, 4-SSD in RAID 0, etc...overkill for this
- HD HomeRun Prime w/ Cable Card.

Issue:
- Windows RDC can get into WMC, but won't allow videos to play. I'm guessing even if they did it would look like hell.

- Tried Teamviewer, choppy video. Checking my network use, it's only running about 2-3Mbps...not nearly enough. I've steamed uncompressed Blu-ray video through this connection and have done 800Mbps file transfers on this connection....this thing has bandwidth for days and isn't using it

- Splashtop seems to do a decent job on video, but doesn't allow full screen access mode (where RDC and Teamviewer do).

- TightVNC is garbage for this. Actually, I wasn't a fan of it in general compared to other options I played with so far.

Is there anything I can do to accomplish what I want? I'd rather not get another 360 extender.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Windows 7 DLNA support leaves alot to be desired.
With Windows 8.1, you can rightclick a Video file, choose Play To, and then select the TV.
With my codecs installed, you can even rightclick an MKV and have LAV Filters do the decoding over DLNA.
^^^ this also works on Win7 but the results are often disappointing. With Win8, it is perfection.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:44 pm

If your recordings are not copyright protected, then you can watch them on the other PC either in Media Center (by adding that location to the library) or just by clicking on the recorded TV file you want to watch.

Once again, it will only work with unprotected content.

I often watch TV (live or recorded) on my desktop's second monitor in WMC when working, but my content is not copyright protected.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:35 pm

Nitrousbird wrote:What I'm trying to do:
- Tried Teamviewer, choppy video. Checking my network use, it's only running about 2-3Mbps...not nearly enough. I've steamed uncompressed Blu-ray video through this connection and have done 800Mbps file transfers on this connection....this thing has bandwidth for days and isn't using it

- Splashtop seems to do a decent job on video, but doesn't allow full screen access mode (where RDC and Teamviewer do).

- TightVNC is garbage for this. Actually, I wasn't a fan of it in general compared to other options I played with so far.
I think you are a bit "stuck" if you want truely "full screen"...WMC is pretty good at preventing video play when in full screen mode. I actually had some reasonable results with an OLDER setup using teamviewer as long as the WMC side is NOT in full screen, but that was a few versions back (and also using WMC on Win 7). In Win 8, even that doesn't work, and I would bet it has to do with some of the other changes in the way extenders work...

So instead of telling us what you want to "do", tell us what is the result? As stated, *IF* you have WMC, you can watch unprotected things either by using WMC or even just pointing something like VLC at the file over the network. I'm guessing that in some way, you're dealing with DRM protected files, and there-in lies the rub...

Nitrousbird

Post by Nitrousbird » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:54 pm

I'd say 90%+ of content I watch is copy-once flagged. The only channels I have noticed not be copy once flagged by my cable provider are network channels. About the only thing on network TV we watch is college football which I wouldn't really utilize this remote desktop setup for anyway (let's be honest, most of the content on network TV is awful). Got to love the DRM protection...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:11 pm

I'm using Emby Server to stream Recorded and Live TV anywhere on my LAN, but also anywhere on the WAN.

Fairly easy project. Install the server, do a couple port forwards, open up a web browser on the client and bam Live TV. A couple of my older browsers needed a small update. Emby Server will not stream Protected Recorded or Live TV at the moment. Oh yeah, it does Music and Pictures as well.

https://emby.media/downloads/mac-server/

https://emby.media/downloads/windows-server/

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:23 pm

Another idea for you, after noticing you have the HDHR Prime, is, just install the Prime on any of your other Win 7 workstations then setup a 2nd WMC. This would work for all the Live TV, but the 2nd WMC would only be allowed to watch its own recordings if they are protected.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/prime/

I havn't tried this one, but it looks like it would work.

http://www.dmac-tech.com/2014/01/03/acc ... -internet/