Ceton InfiniTV 6 - No InfiniTV Found

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:33 pm

I didn't know that the ETH doesn't display a Ceton Network Adapter.

Strike 1

Maybe we can get there from the Ceton webpage 192.168.200.1 or 0 or whatever it is

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:36 pm

Cirdecus wrote:I looked at the other post and it seems that the card was stuck in a bridge mode. However, I'm not sure how to check the setting or even remove it if this is the problem. I did notice that he was having the same problem and even started having issues when he started handing out tuners to various PCs.

Again, i have no network connection labeled CETON in my net adapters, so i can't really check the settings there.
Bridge mode, like the picture in post 36.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:42 pm

Cirdecus wrote:I looked at the other post and it seems that the card was stuck in a bridge mode. However, I'm not sure how to check the setting or even remove it if this is the problem. I did notice that he was having the same problem and even started having issues when he started handing out tuners to various PCs.

Again, i have no network connection labeled CETON in my net adapters, so i can't really check the settings there.
That post also says that the Ceton Adapter was disappearing then re-appearing. Unfortunately I don't know for sure if the ETH is supposed to appear in Network Connections.

Just for giggles, I'll go check my Prime.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:01 am

This is the kind of reply that Ceton employees on this forum need to be ashamed of:
Hi Jake,

We are sorry to hear you’re having trouble. We have reviewed your diagnostic and do not see any specific issues with your InfiniTV. All indications are it is fully functional and not suffering from damage. What you're experiencing are general Media Center stability issues related to the Windows environment.
After weeks of troubleshooting and reformatting with a fresh test environment, sending this response is a complete failure of customer service. I think I'm actually going to have to serve papers to Ceton to get this warranty honored. This is crazy.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:05 am

My Prime is on my other subnet and it appears as a Media Device in my Network. I would think your ETH should appear somewhere as a something.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:06 am

Let me check device manager. Ceton replies to my ticket maybe once every two days, so I appreciate you guys trying to help.

UPDATE: Nothing with a Ceton label in device manager. I'm not sure if this is normal for the InfiniTV model i have or not

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:14 am

So you got this ETH 6 back in march, previous to that you had the Infini4. I assume that you had Network tuners installed when you had the Infini4, because you seemed a little surprised when the Network Bridge was missing. As I recall, back in 2012 when I was playing around with my 4 and its Network Tuner feature, I remember assigning 2 tuners to the HTPC, and 1 tuner each to a couple workstations.

WMC1 with 2 tuners
WMC2 with 1 tuner
WMC3 with 1 tuner

Yours would be a little different, and I don't know how you had your Infini4's tuners split up, and I don't know if your Infini4 is even still installed. I assume its gone, and that's why you got the ETH 6.

WMC1 with 3 tuners
WMC2 with 1 tuner

Network Tuners is for InfiniTV 4 and 4 USB only, If I am correct in my assumptions you might have some remnants causing havoc on your network.

If the Infini4 is in fact gone, and it was installed in WMC1, did you have the chance to release that tuner from WMC2. If this is indeed the case perhaps WMC2 is still looking for the non-existent Infini4 and its Network Bridge, and this is causing complications with your new ETH 6. What I would try is to open up the Network tuner section of WMC2 and try to release the non-existent tuner(s)..... Failing that I would Factory Reset WMC on WMC2. Then proceed with a normal install of the ETH 6 on WMC1. You likely will have to Static IP the ETH 6 to an available IP and match the Subnet to your LAN in the ETH webpage 192.168.200.1 System tab.....the network section is down near the bottom of the page ..... then click Set Network.

This hypothesis would fit in to the Ceton Support Diagnosis which said WMC and Network issues. Those guys are pretty good down there, they diagnosed something for me one time, of course they explained it in a language I didn't understand, but eventually (a couple months later after eliminating everything else) it sunk in and I said to myself "Why didn't I read between their lines with a bit more effort rather than banging my head against the wall for 2 months"

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:07 pm

That's a good point Crash, but once I bought the new ETH 6, i reformatted my media center (only had one at the time) and then added the second one upstairs. However, i have gone through the network tuner wizard a few times while troubleshooting until i found out it was not used with the ETH6. I did try to reset network settings and went into the WMC app to reset the tuner back to default. However, I did find that the Ceton DT finds the InfiniTV most of the time but it just won't stay. It will eventually lose it and WMC will crash saying there's no tuner any longer after watching TV for 5 minutes or so. Then the Diagnostic tool just keeps searching and searching and finds nothing. A couple reboots of the Ceton will sometimes get it back or if I just wait it out all night and check it in the morning, the tool will find it again.

This just really seems like a defective unit. The guys over at Ceton believe it's not, but there's literally nothing else to test unless they start getting me firmware to wipe and redo, i don't know what else to do. They refuse to do remote sessions support and only reply once a day, which makes it almost impossible to fix this before christmas.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:27 pm

Here is a link to a firmware IMAGE that was released last fall.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 553#p81553

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:12 pm

If a connection cannot be maintained, I think it's dangerous to attempt a firmware upgrade.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:04 pm

Here is a link to a firmware IMAGE that was released last fall.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 553#p81553

I use Method 3 to reset WMC to "Brand New Out of the Box" This wipes out everything and returns WMC to the way it was the first day you clicked on it. All your customizations, series recordings, etc., are removed. Complete directions and a couple alternatives included in the link below.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... c6802693fd

Method 3:
Rebuild Media Center data store and check:

i. Click on start

ii. In the search box type in cmd, right click on cmd and select “Run as administrator”

iii. Open a command prompt, and run the following command:

%systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask

iv. Close command window, and reboot the computer.

Ben Drawbaugh's method includes directions on how to save some things that you can restore after the reset.

http://bjdraw.com/2010/05/29/how-to-res ... ia-center/

I would plug everything into the switch like you had it before, wipe out both WMC's, upgrade the firmware on the ETH6. If that doesn't "nail it" its gotta be your Network settings in Windows, your Router, or your Switch, or the ETH6 is NFG. I'm having a hard time believing that if Ceton says it's good, Its good. I trust they would not say it's good if it wasn't.

Speaking of Switch.... Have you temporarily tried a different switch?

Internet>>>>>>Router>>>>>>Switch
>>>>>WMC1
>>>>>WMC2
>>>>>ETH6

just those 3 plugged into the switch, or to further simplify, take WMC1 out of the picture.

Internet>>>>>>Router>>>>>>Main Switch the HP
>>>>>cheap 5 port switch ($20 Trendnet) plugged in to
>>>>the main switch, or
>>>>the router, or
>>>>straight in to the modem
>>>>>WMC2
>>>>>ETH6

WMC1 with it's 2 NIC's must be a difficult configuration. The problem might be in the NIC's.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:05 pm

mdavej wrote:If a connection cannot be maintained, I think it's dangerous to attempt a firmware upgrade.
Yeah I know, I was working on a solid connection at the same time you were posting.
Attachments
InfiniNetwork011.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:44 pm

Do you think we have a half a chance now?

If the firmware "Bricks" it, it's RMA time.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:47 pm

miniature networks.....Eric explains the purpose of the DHCP Server, and might explain why your WMC1 was assigned 192.168.200.7 200.1 to 200.6 might be assigned to your 6 tuners.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 4537#p4537

dual nic eth6.....Beartlaoi explains your symptom exactly (disappearing tuner) also diag cant find it.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 789#p54789
Attachments
InfiniNetwork012.JPG
InfiniNetwork014.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:01 pm

I was thumbing through your switch manual this afternoon. I see no reason why it won't work. It's a Layer 2 switch, you have a Layer 2 tuner. The only thing I would check...so far.. would be to make sure the green feature is turned off, if not all 48 ports, at least a group of them for your WMC's, Tuners, and/or other TV devices. Page 25.

Pretty simple test to find out.....make sure the tuner is on.....plug it in to the switch.....if green is disabled (like it should be) the switchport link-light should come on instantly. Try all 48 while you are back there.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02879280
Attachments
HP1810-J9660A_Switch.rar
(486.29 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
InfiniNetwork015.JPG

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:13 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Do you think we have a half a chance now?
Yep. I'd open the ceton log page in a browser and make sure it can maintain a connection for at least 5 minutes. If it does, you're ok to flash.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:17 pm

mdavej wrote:
Yep. I'd open the ceton log page in a browser and make sure it can maintain a connection for at least 5 minutes. If it does, you're ok to flash.
Shouldn't the tuner also appear in the HTPC's Network? At least as a Media or Other Device?
Attachments
InfiniNetwork016.JPG

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:25 pm

Wow thank you guys, I just jumped on to check the forum post. When i get home i'll work through this.

I also planned on create a little test environment where i can take the reformatted WMC PC (blank windows and Ceton), my 1810 switch and my router and kill everything else on the network so only these devices are on the network by themselves to see if that makes a difference.

RyC

Post by RyC » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
mdavej wrote:
Shouldn't the tuner also appear in the HTPC's Network? At least as a Media or Other Device?
Yes my ETH appears as a Media Device in the Network window, even on every other Windows computer on the network (all of which are Windows 10 except for the HTPC which is still 7). Sorry OP you're having so much trouble, my ETH has been working perfectly since I got through some starting out bugs, and Ceton support was very helpful back then. Looks like they're not anymore :cry:

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 pm

NIC drivers WMC1.....Top 3 drivers for Win 7 (64) at Intel are 20.2, 20.0, 19.5

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/produc ... er-I211-AT

As an alternative, sometimes I get lucky at Windows Update. Remove/uninstall the intel drivers, Use a USB nic temporarily to go to Windows Update, and let M$ figure it out, they will give you the best driver (in their experience), most of the time its an older driver.

Just to throw a little conjecture into the mix.....Why would the ASRock Z87 use different dual Intel NIC's?

(i211 and i217-V) rather than (i211 and i211)

https://communities.intel.com/thread/42 ... 0&tstart=0
Attachments
InfiniNetwork018.JPG