Ceton InfiniTV 6 - No InfiniTV Found

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:10 pm

mdavej wrote:IMO, something on your network is blocking traffic to/from the ETH somehow. Did you ever enable upnp? Do you pick Home as your LAN type when you first connect your PC? Have you tried different ethernet cables? Have you disabled green ethernet on your network card?
How well does the ETH work using Jumbo Frames?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:25 pm

Cirdecus wrote:Thanks Crash, i Know i'm exhausted from all of this. I wish Ceton would just help... They're already in a company crossroads with the release of W10 and no WMC support, you'd think they would put the customer first and stop arguing with me.

I'm about to leave on a short trip, i'll be back Wed. I'll simplify the setup by removing the switch and TA and see what happens. Currently the PC is getting an IP around 10.0.0.180 (DHCP range of my router).
If my latest Simplify diagram doesn't work, remove your Asus87 from the mix, which I suspected a few posts back.

Take one of your old routers, doesn't have to be GIG, do a reset on it. If the eth6 works with the old POS router, then we know the problem is in the Asus87

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:24 pm

Crash2009 wrote:
mdavej wrote:IMO, something on your network is blocking traffic to/from the ETH somehow. Did you ever enable upnp? Do you pick Home as your LAN type when you first connect your PC? Have you tried different ethernet cables? Have you disabled green ethernet on your network card?
I tried Jumbo Frames once in an attempt to speed up channel changes. Others have claimed it makes a difference. Didn't do anything for me, so I turned them back off.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:32 pm

mdavej wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:
I tried Jumbo Frames once in an attempt to speed up channel changes. Others have claimed it makes a difference. Didn't do anything for me, so I turned them back off.
Oh, so Jumbo is unrelated to this issue.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:03 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Oh, so Jumbo is unrelated to this issue.
It may impact performance, theoretically, but not connectivity. Green had a negative impact on mine. And without upnp, I also had issues.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:16 pm

mdavej wrote:
It may impact performance, theoretically, but not connectivity. Green had a negative impact on mine. And without upnp, I also had issues.
I just found out there is more than one UPnP, there is the one in the router which I am familiar with, and then there is some UPnP going on between devices on the LAN. I don't remember ever enabling the 2nd one. I think it just gets enabled during my network configuration.

Here it is.....As a habit, I always turn on Network Discovery. Looks like Discovery wont work without UPnP Device Host Services.

Maybe we should be having a look at wmcpc2's Network configuration.

I'll post mine in a snip so Cirdecus can replicate.

Maybe wmcpc2 is in a homegroup and the ETH is unable to join it, therefore can't see it. I never did get the hang of Homegroup. I always use Workgroup.
Attachments
Network001.JPG
Network002.JPG
Network003.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:36 pm

mdavej wrote:
We checked Green in the switch, but not in the NIC.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:30 pm

Actually in the test setup mentioned above, there wasn't anything that could have been blocking traffic. If you notice, I closed the network to only the Ceton, WMC and Internet. uPNP has been enabled, green ethernet disabled, home network as chosen type.

I brought out a test router to work with to see if it helps. Ceton finally gave in and authorized an RMA after stressing that they don't cover electrostatic and other various types of damage, leaving the door open for them to send it back if they find any excuse to.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Tue Dec 01, 2015 12:29 pm

Thank you to Crash and the others for helping with this issue! Hope everyone has a great Christmas!

The RMA is in shipment so I'm hoping a replacement is sent to me without issue!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:54 pm

Glad to hear it. Same to you. Hope the new one works right away.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Fri Dec 04, 2015 11:37 pm

Well it appears Ceton was right, the new device doesn't work either. Either they sent me the same one back as a joke or I've got a completely unsolvable problem here. I have no idea what to do other than to go lease a Charter Cable box again...

The only thing Ceton mentioned before they shipped the RMA was that the network was seeing a uPnP flood. Now since I tested everything in a closed environment save the router, I'm not sure where this could be coming from other than the outside.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:04 pm

Cirdecus wrote:The only thing Ceton mentioned before they shipped the RMA was that the network was seeing a uPnP flood. Now since I tested everything in a closed environment save the router,
Turn Off UPnP in the ASUS or try one of your old routers that has been reset to factory settings.

http://www.wireless-home-network-made-e ... erver.html
Attachments
AsusRouter001.JPG
Last edited by Crash2009 on Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:08 pm

I suspected something Upnp related early on, but I don't know the solution.If I were you, I'd buy and try a Homerun Prime. It may be more robust when it comes to networking issues like this. If it works, sell your known working Ceton and buy a second Homerun. If it doesn't, you'll have to somehow solve your network issue, or get a Tivo. I've sold several Cetons (and Homerun Primes) and always gotten a pretty good return.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:26 pm

Another thing, Your Guest Wifi or worse yet your Main Wifi might be wide open to the neighbors.
Attachments
AsusRouter002.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:51 pm

In the past, one of the kids had a Smart TV that was connecting wirelessly through the kids own wireless access point. This was flooding the network with UPnP requests and slowed My Network to a crawl. I guess the TV had a Media Server that was searching the network for Media. afaik...It never could find any, but that didn't stop it from looking. Had a heck of a time solving that one.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 330#p87330

Related to the above one this was causing problems with one of the other kids.

SACK_PERM=1
"endless loop of retransmissions of the wrong segment"
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 957#p85957

To put it mildly, It was a nightmare.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:18 pm

Nice to hear from you crash! Did you have a good thanksgiving?

I finally fixed the problem, although i'm not sure how. I turned OFF uPnP on my router, uninstalled MCEBuddy (as i read some people had problems with uPnP spams with this) and then patiently watched wireshark. I didn't see anything crazy, although i did see a lot of traffic in and out of the Ceton.

After I did this, my gaming computer connected and I setup all 6 tuners and let it run overnight. I came back and checked on it this morning and it was STILL RUNNING! I then read an article that said I wasn't supposed to be manually assigning tuners to my media center PCs. I was supposed to just go through normal TV setup and select all 6 tuners for each computer and that tuner pooling would take over from there.

After this i started all the PC's back up, reinstalled Ceton drivers and everything is now magically working. Very strange. I found that uPnP in the router is mainly for uPnP traffic through the WAN interface which isn't needed in my case.

I also think that the closed testing environments i made were failing to an screw up with the network settings of the Ceton during earlier testing. The Ceton gets an IP on the local subnet, but it is invisible in the config. The Network settings in the web interface are for the tuner subnet which probably should never be changed from the default 192.168.200.1.

Anyway i also turned off the xBox 360 and another PC so i'm going to turn them back on now and see if the TV's are still ok.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:11 pm

Thanksgiving was pretty good. Corralled a stray without saddling the horse. She knocked on my door looking for someone that lived here 10 years ago. I think God winked at me.

Glad you got it going.

Ha Ha. I wasn't aware MCEbuddy was included in a fresh install.

Xbox will likely need some Port Forwards now that you closed it's automatic (UPnP) door.

Cirdecus

Post by Cirdecus » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:27 pm

Yeah it definitely wasn't in the fresh install of the other machines. I think just having it on a PC on the network was causing the flooding, regardless of what PC WMC was on. However, when I made the closed environment with the switch and the fresh WMC PC, I think my tuner network config was jacked up and caused the same problem as the uPnP flooding, so it may be believe the same problem persisted even in closed network.