2 new Freesat tuners, now a mess of channels

Blue407

HTPC Specs: Show details

2 new Freesat tuners, now a mess of channels

Post by Blue407 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:42 am

Morning All

I have just installed 2 new USB freesat tuners onto my Windows 7 x64 WMC PC. (An existing S350 card is still in there)
After a lot of scanning I now have a massive jumble of 1222 channels on UK Freesat. After a bit of looking around it seems to have now discovered 19.2 satellite which it hadn't with my previous S350 card, this gave me all the German and French streams, which I have no interest in.

All I want is the main UK un-encoded Freesat channels.

Would I be better to get rid of all channels and start again? If so, how do I do this?

I do not want to lose the scheduled recordings I already have set, nor the list of program's it knows its previous recorded.

Any help or advice gratefully received, after sending hours on this last night I am feeling rather dejected abut it :(

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:14 pm

So are you using the new usb tuners in addition to the S350?
If you can replicate the recording schedule personally I would set up the channels fresh and get them ordered/grouped for ease of use.

As you know a first time install of freesat tuners obtains loads of channels, some don't work some are duplicates etc etc. If you have dvb-s2 HD tuners a full transponder scan also misses out a lot of the channels and you need to add them manually.

I've yet to try this method but if it works it should have you up and running fairly quickly **I'm not sure about scheduled recordings so do this at your own risk**

I would download guidetool, install and open it with media center also open. The channels will all be displayed including encrypted ones that you can't receive anyway via freesat. Then click on the 'tick' icon and switch to view only those channels that are currently in media center. This will contain a good few hundred channels and include all the regional variations of ITV, C4 etc etc. Untick them all and click 'refresh' on the guidetool task bar. This should hide all the channels from your current media center setup, working ones, duplicate channels and non working channels. What you're doing to do is essentially hide all channels from your media center and then scan for only that are working and that you want to have.

Next thing is to grab the up to date transponder listing from here http://en.kingofsat.net/freqs.php?&pos= ... ltre=Clear
Go into your settings and do a single transponder scan for each group of channels you require as shown on that page. For example the first 'block' on that page contain Channel 4 and Film 4 so do a single scan on the frequency at the top of the section using 10714 - 22000 - H (being 'Horizontal') - as the frequency
This will bring in that group of channels to your media center that should all be working. Check that they are working ok and then click refresh on the guidetool programme, they should appear in guidetool with 'ticks' in the left hand column (you may have to switch view by clicking on the tick icon in the panel) but anyway it should only display those channels you have just scanned for and received.

If that works then go through that transponder list section by section scanning only those frequencies that contain channels you want to receive. Some frequencies will contain channels you don't want, don't bother scanning them. So 30 mins later you should have scanned all the transponders that contain the channels you want. Refresh guidetool and untick any further channels you wish to remove. You should now have a bunch of working channels. If you wish to renumber them you can in guidetool by right clicking and renumbering, that'll sort them all out into a nice list

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:26 pm

Have a look into Sean's WMC Backup.

http://seanmauch.com/seans-wmc-backup/

Another popular software is Guide Tool.

http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool/

Between the two of them most of your concerns would be addressed.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:30 pm

Here are a couple posts detailing the operation of the two software's mentioned above.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 066#p13066

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 308#p92308

Blue407

Post by Blue407 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:55 pm

Yes, I am using all 3 tuners now. All are DVBS-2.

Interestingly the S350 never specifically listed 19.2E, only 28.2E, now these new ones are installed I get both satellites listed. Although I have quickly released I don't think there is anything I need on 19.2E!!

I've seen guidetool mentioned beforte, I will take a look.

I presume somebody else who has already done all of this for 28.2E and has the std Freesat channels could send me over a Guidtool export that I could import?

Do you get EPG for Spike, mine seems to be missing. Same for a few other channels.

I did spend an hour un-selecting all the channels I didn't want in the Edit Listings option, especially the duplicate ones, but then when I checked the guide and flicked through some channels, they were blank :(
By 10:30 last night I had reached my limit and went to bed :(
Last edited by Blue407 on Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:13 pm

Yes some will work and a lot won’t. You need to hide all of them and rediscover the working ones to save hours sifting through channels. Have you got guidetool downloaded and installed?

Blue407

Post by Blue407 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:37 pm

sorethumbs wrote:Yes some will work and a lot won’t. You need to hide all of them and rediscover the working ones to save hours sifting through channels. Have you got guidetool downloaded and installed?
Not yet, I'm still at work :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:45 am

He must have quite a commute. Two days, and he's still not home.

Blue407

Post by Blue407 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:54 am

Sorry Guys, life's taken over and not had time to get back to this. Have next weeks off work so will spend some time on it then :)