Preventing Windows Update installing Windows 10

iankb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Preventing Windows Update installing Windows 10

Post by iankb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:55 pm

If you find Windows Update trying to install Windows 10 (and wipe-out your Media Center!), then this process stopped it for me ...

Windows Update was adding the installation as an optional update with a default tick.

First, I updated an entry in my registry ...

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]
"AllowOSUpgrade"=dword:00000000
Although I made other changes under that key, I believe that was the only important one.

Then I found and uninstalled the kb3035583 update from Windows Update. If you do this before the registry changes, then you'll probably find it reappearing.

I suspect that if you avoided installing kb3035583 in the first place, or uninstalled it earlier enough, the registry changes wouldn't have been necessary.

You will now find that Windows Update lists the kb3035583 update as an important update which is ticked by default. Untick it, right-click on it and select Hide-It.

For the moment, this appears to work, but I wouldn't put it past Microsoft to reinstall the option with another anonymously-named update.
Ian

iankb

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by iankb » Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:32 pm

If you don't reboot between the registry change and the uninstall, then you may find kb3035583 gets reinstalled again. Uninstalling it again and rebooting will probably resolve the problem.
Ian