Disable WMC Volume Display

Keylonta

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disable WMC Volume Display

Post by Keylonta » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:47 am

I've been trying to work out how to disable the Volume display in WMC because it's always popping up even though I use my amp to adjust the volume.

I've only found 1 solution on the web that seems like it should work but doesn't.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\VolumeDisplay\DisableVolumeDisplay = 1

I tried it but it doesn't work. I even changed the value of various other entries in the VolumeDisplay folder but they all had no effect on the Volume display.

Does anyone know how to disable the WMC Volume display?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:52 pm

Keylonta wrote:I've been trying to work out how to disable the Volume display in WMC because it's always popping up even though I use my amp to adjust the volume.

I've only found 1 solution on the web that seems like it should work but doesn't.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\VolumeDisplay\DisableVolumeDisplay = 1

I tried it but it doesn't work. I even changed the value of various other entries in the VolumeDisplay folder but they all had no effect on the Volume display.

Does anyone know how to disable the WMC Volume display?
Does anyone else have this issue ? No matter what I did in WMC, this happens to me to. I even rebuilt from scratch with a new motherboard, CPU, etc, Only WMC installed but, it still does this to me.

This does not happen in Windows 8.1 WMC, ONLY in Windows 7.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Feb 07, 2016 4:45 pm

Try an Ortek IR dongle. Should ignore your amp's protocol.

To test, unplug the dongle and change the vol.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:09 pm

mdavej wrote:Try an Ortek IR dongle. Should ignore your amp's protocol.

To test, unplug the dongle and change the vol.
Not sure it's the IR device. I have an internal one but, I have tried 3-4 different models over the years, internal, external and no matter what in WMC, when I do something you see the volume display pops up. When WMC starts, it shows(for about 2-3 seconds), when I go into recorded TV, it shows, when I play a video, it shows, etc.

I don't use the volume on the PC at all, It's all HDMI to a AVR. So there should be NO reason why it pops up.

It's really annoying. Even a clean install, no drivers besides the video driver, it pops up.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:39 pm

First of all, I have spent a few hours today trying to find out the cause of this. To see the issue on hand, when you open WMC, it will show the volume (50 or what ever you are set at) in the right had corner for about 3-5 seconds. This shows up when you first open WMC. The Problem is, I use HDMI out to a AVR. the volume should never show.

I have re-built Windows 7 Ultimate from ground-up, this is the original NON-SP1 retail disk, going to SP1, removed each piece of hardware one by one (all cards, IR internal, every piece), rebooted and retested. The ONLY thing that is installed is motherboard, CPU, ram and video card (besides hard drives). I can not get this to disappear or disable the on screen volume menu.

If anyone wants to help and this happens to you, what type of audio are you using (HDMI, optical) ? What type of video card are you using ?

I would love to get to the bottom of this. When I install Windows, it's fine but, I have no audio. When I install NVidia drivers (as I use HDMI audio, it installs the video and the audio drivers), then this problem starts.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

kingflynn

Post by kingflynn » Wed Feb 10, 2016 8:13 pm

Have you tried a different remote control? I had an issue with the cursor and other stuff coming on the screen whenever I used the wmc remote I had. I switched to a Harmony and it disappeared. I have HDMI out to the TV, then optical audio out from the TV to my receiver. Volume on the remote only goes to the receiver.

Also when I switched to a Harmony, I switched the IR to USB IR receiver OVU4003/00 from ebay.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:00 pm

kingflynn wrote:Have you tried a different remote control? I had an issue with the cursor and other stuff coming on the screen whenever I used the WMC remote I had. I switched to a Harmony and it disappeared. I have HDMI out to the TV, then optical audio out from the TV to my receiver. Volume on the remote only goes to the receiver.

Also when I switched to a Harmony, I switched the IR to USB IR receiver OVU4003/00 from ebay.
I have many WMC remotes. Here is what I have tried....a Microsoft one (3 different models), HP one, Sony one, Microsoft Media Center wireless keyboard (has WMC controls on it). I also have custom codes in my Pronto pro remote.

As for the IR, I have tried a handfull of them,2 internal One HP and one (I forget the name who made it, using now), 2 different Microsoft USB based ones. Even a ATI one.

No change, It's not the cursor, It's just the volume control, and I can get it to show up ON DEMAND. GO into the guide, turn on a channel, then hit the stop button, the guide will come up and the VOLUME will show up for 3-4 seconds.

It's one of the MOST annying things to me on Windows 7 WMC....

Thanks for the thoughts, I have been trouble shooting this one for a LONG time now (Pre-Windows 7 release), does everyone deal with this on WIndows 7 ?
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:13 pm

The only time I see the WMC volume on the TV is if I'm using the RF keyboard to control WMC7. I've never seen the WMC volume show up on the TV at any other time that I recall. I'll have to check & see if shows up under some specific circumstances. But under normal operation it does not show up.

I have the HTPC connected to the AVR via HDMI, and the AVR to the TV via HDMI. I'm using an RCA IR remote to control the HTPC and it also controls the AVR volume.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 7:52 am

I used the remote & the only time I saw the WMC7 volume indicator appear was when I FF at the first step which would be the 1.4X speed with sound. And it only displayed for a few seconds, along withe the time.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:47 pm

Mike88 wrote:I used the remote & the only time I saw the WMC7 volume indicator appear was when I FF at the first step which would be the 1.4X speed with sound. And it only displayed for a few seconds, along withe the time.
Yea, annoying if your not doing any volume in WMC.... Funny on my Office machine (dual boothing with 7 and 10), WMC does not do this on Windows 7. I have the onb

I am trying to find the combo, What I mean, some hardware must becausing WMC causing this... For example, Audio on the board, video card, 3rd party audio card. As I remember, it's a combo, like onboard+external, or just onboard, etc.

I knew back in the WMC beta (I acutally reported this bug during Windows 7 WMC beta test), and Microsoft knew about this issue but, refused to fix it (I can even give the bug number that I reported it on).

It does not happen on everyone's PC, so I would like to resolve it and would buy a new motherboard to FIX IT for good. It's my BIG annoyance on WMC on Windows 7
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:55 pm

FWIW I have HDMI audio/video from the HTPC going into the AVR which in turn connects to the TV. My remote is set to control the AVR volume.

The AVR is set to NOT send it's volume display to the TV. I'm grasping at straws here but could that somehow also be shutting off the WMC volume display?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:46 pm

Mike88 wrote:FWIW I have HDMI audio/video from the HTPC going into the AVR which in turn connects to the TV. My remote is set to control the AVR volume.

The AVR is set to NOT send it's volume display to the TV. I'm grasping at straws here but could that somehow also be shutting off the WMC volume display?
Right now, I have a BASIC Windows 7 sp1 install, with only drivers and bug fix updates installed. I have been trying each type of wiring,

My Setup is HDMI and DVI-D (24-5), DVI-D goes right to a 4K tv, HDMI is used for audio only this goes to a AVR. Wiring direct to each one , does not change( just to the AVR, or TV) anything.

I've gone through and disabled the audio on the TV, enabled the onboard audio system, any other possible thing I can try.

This is driving me nuts and I need to find out what is causing this and fix it once and for all.

Do you use this problem as well ? The BIGGER thing that drives me nuts is, My office computer, Has HDMI going to a 24" monitor and on board 5.1 audio system feeding the sound, does not have this issue. It's something else, I am not sure and trying to figure it out
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:11 am

FIXED ! A simple hex edit fixed it...

http://forums.mydigitallife.info/thread ... ost1204976
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:01 am

I'm glad you got it fixed.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Feb 15, 2016 2:10 pm

Mike88 wrote:I'm glad you got it fixed.
Well, it just disabled the display of it. The issue at hand that causes it, the combo of hardware that makes it pop up like that, I will never know (wish I had all my old eHome contacts again)...

As long as it does not annoy me any more, I am fine with it.

Thanks for your help !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave