Does disabling mcupdate_scheduled affect EPG data?

Keylonta

HTPC Specs: Show details

Does disabling mcupdate_scheduled affect EPG data?

Post by Keylonta » Thu Oct 01, 2015 5:38 am

I want to disable the mcupdate_scheduled task in Task Manager to stop my PC waking to perform updates. Will this affect my EPG data, i.e, will I still have the latest guide. I'm pretty sure for my area I had to use inband data because when setting up the TV channels there was no guide data available for my postcode.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:50 am

I think you can go in and untick the "allow this task to wake pc" or similar in the scheduled task, rather than disable it entirely.

If you're using inband data then I don't think disabling it will cause too many issues as a background scan gets ota data when tuners are in use.

The scheduled task does kick off an inband update as well as an internet download though I think.

You could maybe just set the auto download time in the MC GUI for when you're likely to be using the pc?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

Keylonta

Post by Keylonta » Mon Oct 05, 2015 3:31 am

After troubleshooting this for a while I discovered that the mcupdate_scheduled task in Task Manager is separate from the auto download settings in the MC GUI. I came to this conclusion after disabling the download settings in the MCE GUI and still having MCE wake up in the middle of the night to do updates. I then tried unticking the "allow this task to wake PC" as mentioned, and even changed the trigger time but after a while W7 changes the settings back to their default. I noticed that the PC waking to perform updates in the middle of the night is a popular issue that no one seems to be able to resolve, it would seem this is because the mcupdate_scheduled task is separate from MCE GUI download setting, and W7 auto defaults the mcupdate_scheduled task after the user edits it. The only solution I know that works is to disable it. As you mentioned, this didn't cause any issues with inband updates. If anyone has anymore input on this issue I'd love to hear it.

Space

Post by Space » Tue Oct 06, 2015 12:15 pm

I have been running with the "allow this task to wake PC" unchecked for a while now and WMC has never turned it back on. WMC WILL however reschedule this task to run at different times within the window you specify in "auto download" settings, but like I said, the "wake PC" option never gets changed by WMC.

Having this set this way results in the PC never waking up to do a guide update, however when the PC DOES wake up (for some other reason), it will then run the guide update if it was "missed" due to the PC being asleep. I also have a separate task that wakes the PC up at 7:50pm every day so that the guide update will happen 10 minutes before prime-time starts. I do it this way so that there is less wake/sleep cycles causing extra spin-up/down on the hard drives and also to be sure I have the latest guide updates before the bulk of my recordings start. Usually right after the guide is updated, my 8pm recordings start (without the PC going to sleep in between).