How to get Foxtel HD on Media Center

nigeltec

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by nigeltec » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:10 am

I setup a new MC in April last year without probs.
Here's some more tips:
Suffix your existing XML file with .ORIG then rename the Foxtel channel XML file with the original's (one you just suffixed) GUID and copy to: C:\ProgramData\Hauppauge\MediaCenterService\{xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}.XML

Notes:
a) This path & file is not created until Media Center setup has been done.
b) It should be noted that the {xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx}. above is going to be a random series of characters on your pc (technically a GUID) but there will only be on XML file in that folder – that is the one to choose)
c) Make sure to set as Read only so it’s not overwritten by the background channel rescan process.
IMPORTANT: If rerunning MCE TV Setup Wizard remove the Read only attribute from HDPVR XML file else wizard fails with an error.

nigeltec

Post by nigeltec » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:15 am

So are you using COMPOSITE out from Foxtel to a COMPOSITE input on your Colossus card?
If your card has COMPONENT inputs (3 separate plugs) I recommend you use that as pic quality will be better.

Glennt

Post by Glennt » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:00 am

i am definitely outputting from the component on the STB
Following the Hauppauge manual the yellow output goes into the blue input as there is a 5 wire split adapter that goes into the card
anyway the pictures seems pretty good compared to the old setup
Attachments
IR Error.gif
when i run the Debug client in the IR server suite i am getting this error when i press the blast button
any thoughts on what thi may be

nigeltec

Post by nigeltec » Sat Feb 22, 2020 2:13 am

To save multiple posts I've attached my complete IR Suite setup notes here so read carefully and you should be good to go.

In regard to your last post perhaps this from my notes may apply:
If IR blaster isn’t sending test using the Debug Client: From systray select Debug Client/Connect then press buttons on remote and they will be displayed in the window. Can do for both receiving & sending.
Attachments
How-to set up IR server suite with HD-PVR and Media Center.zip
(123.31 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

Glennt

Post by Glennt » Sat Feb 29, 2020 6:42 am

Hey Nigel
thanks for your help so far
i could not get the IR server suite working following all your instructions i kept getting the same error as posted above
anyway i installed the Hauppauge IR baster & Blaster software
plugged directly into the colossus card it is receiving & blasting to the stb but i cannot get it to change channels
if i use the fox remote the blue light comes on for IR signal but with blaster nothing
i tried every code set in hauppauge data base & others i have found elsewhere
what IR blaster did you use for your setup & was the IR blaster placed on the small window to the left of centre circle
from what i have read the IQ2 uses a different IR protocol to the older ones
this is doing my head in & "maybe throw it out the window"
Cheers Glenn

nigeltec

Post by nigeltec » Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:56 am

FYI:
My Foxtel IQ2 box: Pace (manufacturer) TDS850NF.6.1 (model).
IR Blaster: Genuine Microsoft IR Receiver Blaster.

RE Location of IR Blaster emitter on Foxtel box:
I use blue tack on the wire (not on emitter) to hold the flat/sticky side of the emitter directly over the Foxtel box's IR receiver window.
This works extremely reliably.

RE Hauppauge IR baster & Blaster software:
As per my notes above I didn't use the HDPVR's IR Blaster hware & sware because:
1. Pressing the PC button just exits/starts MC rather than sleeping/waking the PC.
2. STB channel changes are very slow due to large inter digit delay time when numbers are blasted to STB and reducing the inter digit delay time in the Hauppauge software does NOT have any affect.

RE IR Server Suite:
OK looks like your error is due to the missing IR command file "DebugClient.IR".
This and all the IR command files required for Foxtel (that I learnt from my Foxtel remote) is included in the attached zip file.
Unzip and place all the contents in IR Server Suite's "IR Commands" directory.

Command line in Hauppauge's MCE Setup program:
As per my notes above run the Hauppauge MCE PVR Setup program and enter the App path (use correct path for your version of Windows: 32 or 64 bit) & App Arg commands shown in my notes.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT Copy n paste the App Args commands directly from my notes as the hyphens become dashes and extra spaces are inserted making the command fail. Instead copy into Windows Notepad, delete both "-" and re-enter them from keyboard & make sure to include the leading space when pasted. I wasted hours trying to find out why the App Args command wouldn't work because the line syntax "looks" correct!

Other info in case helpful:
Disabled IR on Hauppauge QuadHD card:
I ran the Hauppauge Hcwcirconfig_tool to disable the card's built-in IR receiver/blaster hardware. I don’t think I needed to do this as it was already UNticked & the MS one ticked in the tool’s GUI so I made no changes.
Attachments
IR Commands.zip
Foxtel IR command files for use with IR Server Suite.
(2.2 KiB) Downloaded 56 times

Glennt

Post by Glennt » Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:38 am

Ok Thanks again
I will try that tomorrow if that doesn't work maybe make the IR blaster make fire
Cheers

Glennt

Post by Glennt » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:15 pm

OK finally got this blaster working
I reinstalled IR server & used Nigel's IR commands
the channel change is a bit slow & get the no tv signal for a few seconds but otherwise very happy
I cant thank Nigel enough for his help
Cheers Glenn

nigeltec

Post by nigeltec » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:59 pm

Re "No TV signal" blue screen between channel changes:
Hauppauge's MCE Setup program tick "Advanced" box in order to show the "Tuner lock delay" box and change from 3000 (default) to 600.
This won't get rid it (haven't been able to find a way) but should shorten the blue screen delay. Note: If you set too low you may get lip sync issue.

Foxtel box setting:
>HD Output Resolution: Auto ->1080i So Hauppauge box receives a consistent input res when you switch channels.
(Foxtel only broadcast HD on 1080i @ 50Hz or 720p) You also need to have an HDMI cable connected from Foxtel box to TV else you may not get a picture due to HDCP (copy protection) and if you ever get this msg in future you can fix by changing to the TV's HDMI input the box is connected until the picture re-appears then just change back to the input your MCE is connected to.
>4:3 Programme Display: I set both HD & SD to 14:9 Aspect ratio.
>Sound: MPEG -> AC3 (enables Dolby sound. MPEG does not). If low volume on AC3: Advanced Settings\SPDIF PCM Audio Level Attenuation: OFF.
>Energy Saving: Medium ->Off (in case MCE tries to change channel & Foxtel box is in standby).
>Banner timeout: 5->10 This is the channel info displayed at bottom of screen when you change channels. Displaying it a little longer is helpful if channel changes on box ever get out of sync with MCE as you'll pick this up quickly due to this info on your recordings.

nigeltec

Post by nigeltec » Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:00 am

RE Hauppauge MCE Setup program's "Tuner lock delay" setting:
Note: Must tick the "Advanced" box to display this setting.
Tried 0 (radio only channels started to show “No signal” permanently), 600 then 700 but after ~1 week I got recording service failures and "assumed" this change might be the cause so reverted back to 3000 (default).