Need clarity on Encrypted vs Copy Protected Recording/LiveTV

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kiku

HTPC Specs: Show details

Need clarity on Encrypted vs Copy Protected Recording/LiveTV

Post by kiku » Tue Aug 25, 2015 5:54 pm

Hi,

New member, venturing into the home theater recording capability of Ceton's ETH6 tuner. I have this currently setup with Win 7 WMC and ETH6 with Cable Card from verizon FIOS in Maryland.

So far, things are working great to record tv shows, then use MCEBuddy to convert and ad-cut and place in my Plex Media server.

My question is in regards what the ETH6 can/cannot do. I believe there are two different capabilities: Tuning/recording Copy-protected content (this I believe it is capable of doing), and Encrypted content (e.g. HBO or Skinemax) which I know Plex cannot play.

But can ETH6 actuall tune and WMC record/play natively these Encrypted channels?

The Ceton Diagnostics software tells me that the tuner is able to tune to an encrypted channel, such as HBO. But I havent had a chance to test if I can watch HBO shows in WMC (waiting for Ceton Echo's to become available as extender). See below different between two wtv recording files (the one on the right I can watch fine, left I get Green screen).

I believe the difference is due to the tag "Protected = Yes" on the HBO content.

Next logical question is: has anyone circumvented this, so that protected content can be copied to another format and played by external player? I know MCEBuddy can circumvent the Copy-protection, but not encryption.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:20 pm

Basically all channels above local broadcast channels are encrypted; meaning you need a CableCard to decrypt the channel from your provider. Local broadcast channels are unusually not encrypted, so you can view them with your TV's built in QAM tuner. However, some providers have started encrypting local broadcast channels after applying for an exemption from the FCC.

Copy-protection involves the CCI flag. Some channels are copy-freely, some are copy-once, some are copy-never.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information

MCEBuddy cannot circumvent copy-protection or encryption. DRM circumvention discussion is not allowed here.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:46 am

It should also be noted that extenders such as the Echo can play copy-protected content that is recorded on your WMC machine.

Also welcome to The GreenButton community. : D

kiku

Post by kiku » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:36 am

So I know currently, from my current setup, that copy protected DOES work Centon ETH6->WMC->MCE-> Plex.

I can live without encrypted content making to Plex.

What I want to know is if my WMC recorded encrypted content (eg HBO) can be played in. WMC Extenders.

Otherwise there is no point in having HBO subscription in my case.

Thanks for the info so far.

Now I know one does not talk about DRM.

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:15 am

kiku wrote:So I know currently, from my current setup, that copy protected DOES work Ceton ETH6->WMC->MCE-> Plex.

I can live without encrypted content making to Plex.
A note most content is "encrypted" in the US market, however most content is NOT "Copy protected". A few channels that are copy protected across the board are HBO, Showtime, ect. Other channels vary by cable provider.

Your Ceton ETH6 in combination with your cable card from your cable company is what allows you to decrypt their signal. The Copy protection that the cable company/content owners request be put on certain channels is what determines if you can or cannot not convert a show to be used with Plex.
kiku wrote: What I want to know is if my WMC recorded encrypted content (eg HBO) can be played in. WMC Extenders.

Otherwise there is no point in having HBO subscription in my case.
Sharks wrote:It should also be noted that extenders such as the Echo can play copy-protected content that is recorded on your WMC machine.
That is what I was trying to express. Recorded shows from HBO, Showtime, Starz, ect. will all play on extenders.
kiku wrote: Thanks for the info so far.

Now I know one does not talk about DRM.
Talking about DRM is OK. Talking about how to circumvent DRM is not. :)

kiku

Post by kiku » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks, now it's clear. Great forum.

sbaeder

Post by sbaeder » Thu Aug 27, 2015 11:49 pm

Sharks wrote: That is what I was trying to express. Recorded shows from HBO, Showtime, Starz, ect. will all play on extenders.
to be more accurate, the content will only "play" on the machine that recorded it (i.e. the WMC main machine). WMC allows an extender to view the content that is sent over modified RDP like protocol (just a different type of transcoding) to the extender...

But it all appears as if the extender is playing it, so you're good to go...

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Sat Aug 29, 2015 6:48 am

Somewhat related question.
If I have the Ceton with a cable card, could I watch encrypted content on mediaportal (which is not cable labs certified)?
Could I watch copy protected content on mediaportal?
Thanks!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:09 am

"Encrypted" refers to the state of the data while it is in transit between the cable company and your tuner. "Copy protected" refers to the copy protection policy applied to the data that is being transmitted. Encrypted data may or may not be copy protected, and copy protected data may or may not be encrypted.

In order to access encrypted content that is not copy protected, the software needs to be able to communicate with a CableCARD tuner. In order to access encrypted content that is copy protected, the software, in addition to being able to communicate with a CableCARD tuner, also needs to be able to communicate with a CableLabs-approved DRM system (e.g., PlayReady, DTCP-IP) that is supported by that CableCARD tuner. While other software may be able to communicate with a CableCARD tuner, WMC is the only software (at this time) that can communicate with both a CableCARD tuner and a CableLabs-approved DRM system. That means WMC is the only software that can access encrypted content that is also copy protected. Other software can access the encrypted content, but only if it is not copy protected.

wayloncovil

Post by wayloncovil » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:45 pm

Awesome reply. Thank you!