No Signal After Turning on TV and AVR

STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by STC » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:14 pm

You can get HDMIYo to trigger upon the HTPC waking up. That will initiate a fresh HDMI handshake.

Mapping a remote button to it is just in case you need it. I used to use it when switching TV inputs sometimes going back to WMC I'd get a black screen.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:23 pm

ITGuy1024 wrote:....Hard reset or RDP to the HTPC and reboot.
In stead of just rebooting:
RDP & check the resolution of the HTPC?
RDP & check to see if the PC is recognizing the HDMI Device (either AVR or tv)?
RDP & change resolution to something else, then change it back to 1080p.
ITGuy1024 wrote:I'd still like to keep the discussion going for other possible solutions.
Details do help:
model number of tv
firmware version of tv
model number of avr
firmware version of avr
model of graphics card
driver version

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:57 pm

I think the issue was actually related to the AVR's sleep mode being set to 30 minutes and not disabled. Since I changed it to disabled it's been much better. It happened maybe once or twice since.

I'm guessing the power cut out at some point and reset the AVR or something.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:41 pm

Is HDMIYo still available for download? hdmiOn is available and does something similar.

http://thydzik.com/hdmion-a-solution-to ... on-hd-tvs/

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:50 pm

Well unfortunately the problem is still happening. I'll try hdmiOn

STC

Post by STC » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:05 pm

HDMIYo still around. They both do the same thing.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

shpitz461

Post by shpitz461 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:44 pm

I have an ATI HD5770 connected to an Onkyo NR-1010 receiver. It was a nightmare like you're experiencing.

My solution was to set the AVR to HDMI pass-through on the PC input, which is the input my HTPC is connected to.

Also, I created a monitor profile with correct EDID, follow this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... xxx-s.html

This cut down the no video error by 98%.

I tried many ATI drivers, none of them fixed this issue, pitiful...

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:17 pm

shpitz461 wrote:I have an ATI HD5770 connected to an Onkyo NR-1010 receiver. It was a nightmare like you're experiencing.

My solution was to set the AVR to HDMI pass-through on the PC input, which is the input my HTPC is connected to.

Also, I created a monitor profile with correct EDID, follow this thread: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... xxx-s.html

This cut down the no video error by 98%.

I tried many ATI drivers, none of them fixed this issue, pitiful...
I'll have to look in to that also.

I tried HDMIYo and while it does reset the HDMI link while there's signal to the tv it doesn't seem to work when I have the no signal issue.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 3:29 pm

I'm jumping into this a little late but does your computer sleep? Or do you have any kind of task to have it reboot? I have a denon avr and mine use to do exactly what you describe. Basically TV says no signal and doesn't even pick up the avr let alone the htpc. For me its due to the order at which devices are turned on.

The TV must be turned in first
Then the avr
Then the htpc.
If the htpc goes to sleep or is rebooted while the other devices are off exactly what you describe will happen. My htpc is on 24/7 but it also runs my home automation software as well as my security cameras so its necessary and II no longer have the issue you describe.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:55 pm

Done this yet?
tzr916 wrote:
Also curious if you are leaving WMC live tv playing when you shut everything down? If so, simply add a STOP button to your shutdown process/macro. So that live tv is NOT playing when you shut down.

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:51 pm

epayson85 wrote:I'm jumping into this a little late but does your computer sleep? Or do you have any kind of task to have it reboot? I have a denon avr and mine use to do exactly what you describe. Basically TV says no signal and doesn't even pick up the avr let alone the HTPC. For me its due to the order at which devices are turned on.

The TV must be turned in first
Then the avr
Then the HTPC.
If the HTPC goes to sleep or is rebooted while the other devices are off exactly what you describe will happen. My HTPC is on 24/7 but it also runs my home automation software as well as my security cameras so its necessary and II no longer have the issue you describe.
The HTPC doesn't sleep or turn off the display. The HTPC is the only thing on, I have game systems connected that are turned off.

tzr916 wrote:Done this yet?
tzr916 wrote:
Also curious if you are leaving WMC live tv playing when you shut everything down? If so, simply add a STOP button to your shutdown process/macro. So that live tv is NOT playing when you shut down.
Resolution is 1920x1080
The PC see's the TV as a monitor, if that's what you mean?
I'm not playing live TV when this happens.

I also noticed something new that happens. When the TV and HTPC are working fine and I switch to another input (xbox) then switch back to the HTPC input on the AVR I get the no signal issue. Even though it was working fine seconds before.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:10 pm

As I said before, everything points to a failing AVR. Get a new AVR (from a place that allows easy returns if you are worried).
tzr916 wrote:
ITGuy1024 wrote:I wasn't able to bring up the OSD on the AVR when the TV says no signal.
Your AVR should always output a signal, when it's on. You should at least get black screen and osd from the AVR. Doesn't have anything to do with the AVR inputs.

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:31 pm

I mean it very well could be failing. It's just weird it's happening 90% more since building the new htpc.

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:49 pm

I'm going to bump this back up since I think I finally found the issue (I think).

My next plan for this was to use a discrete video card and bail on the AMD APU. That didn't work out, I had issues getting the card to work with my motherboard.

The next day for some reason I recalled my office desktop having issues turning the screens off after xx amount of minutes when a wireless mouse or keyboard was connected. Since my HTPC has both a wireless mouse and keyboard I thought maybe those are doing the opposite. Not allowing the monitor (tv) to get signal.

Anyway I unplugged the wireless dongle a few days ago and since then I have not had issues getting signal to the TV when powering the receiver and TV on.

So yay for now, hopefully it stays this way and helps someone else. :crazy:

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:23 pm

Bumping back up. Still having issues.

ITGuy1024

Post by ITGuy1024 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:28 pm

Solution found, for real this time.

It was AVG.

With the more recent versions of AVG there's notification windows that pop up. On my office computer I turned them off but kept getting them. I finally got tired of it and removed AVG from all my systems. Ever since then I haven't had any issues with blank screens or no signal from the HTPC. I guess the pop up windows were causing an issue with WMC when the tv was off.

Anyway, cheers! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: