Disabling WMC DVR and EPG services

Teddyboy16

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disabling WMC DVR and EPG services

Post by Teddyboy16 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 5:59 pm

In light of the recent announcement that Netflix will no longer be available in Media Center as of September, I'm looking to shut down the EPG and dvr services and just use media center for my movies, music, and possibly photos. I'm going to use MCE Reset Toolbox to hide all the menus strips that are no longer needed and keeping only my movies, music and photos. Uninstalling the ceton cable card device won't make it stop the services. I'd like to know what Sevices I need to stop/disable so they no longer run when the htpc is rebooted.

Can some one help me out?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:18 pm

Start-->Control Panel-->Administrative Tools-->Services

Disable the Windows Media Center Receiver Service and Scheduler Service.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:13 pm

Great! Thank you! I'm planning to get a TiVo next month. Once I get that up and running I'll modify media center for music and movies only. What a sad day, but I think we all saw this coming. I've always liked Media Center, and I've been using it since XP MCE. I was so excited when I got my first Cable card and installed it, and 've been using my movies since XP MCE. My Movies is what prompted me to set up my first server using windows home server, so I could rip my collection to it and stream it to my htpc.

Media center could have been so much more had they decided to continue development and embed it into a device a la TiVo. Xbox one dvr looks promising but I need a solution now not a year from now. At least this way I can continue to use the old boy for movies and music until Binnerup decides what path they are going to take my movies. I'm going to order a HDPlex case to down size the htpc from the vidabox case it now sits in.

Thank you for showing which Services to disable when it comes the time to do so. :)

Mystic95Z

Post by Mystic95Z » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:18 pm

So you're ditching WMC just because Netflix will no longer be integrated? I just started using WMC7 a year ago and have no plans to stop until I cant get guide data anymore.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:09 pm

Yeah, this doesn't make any sense to me. Ditching the integrated DVR/movies/music box to switch to a Tivo because it has DVR and Netflix but still use the PC for movies/music. Why not either switch to the Tivo fully and just use Plex for your movies and music?

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:19 pm

3rob3 wrote:Yeah, this doesn't make any sense to me. Ditching the integrated DVR/movies/music box to switch to a Tivo because it has DVR and Netflix but still use the PC for movies/music. Why not either switch to the Tivo fully and just use Plex for your movies and music?
It makes plenty of sense. All my movies are full rips and I don't want to convert them. Media center does well with music and movies using my movies and TMT for blue ray. I can still use plex on the TiVo for music if I want. It's not just Netflix. It's Amazon, Netflix, HBOgo, Vudu, Hulu Plus, Pandora, Spotify, video on demand. It's great for aggregating choices based on your viewing habits. The guide is excellent and very well integrated.

I'm not going to struggle to make it work. With the MC Amazon app you can't rent or buy movies. I'm also tired of the pixelation that I get when recording more then one show on infinitv. Plus the start and stop times have always been wonky. I have to set it to record for 5 minutes more to get the show. I'm also over the slow channel tuning. Media Center is still usable, but for my purposes it's relegated to being used as a movie/music box. For me it's just time to move on. I have other hobbies to tend too :-)

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Wow, blast from the past! I think you misunderstood me, I meant why not just use the Tivo for everything?

I have moved on myself (mostly). I use WMC as a "backend" only now, with all viewing done through Android TV devices via Kodi.

Teddyboy16

Post by Teddyboy16 » Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:09 pm

Hi! I understood you, but I have movies that are full rips that I don't want transcoded to see through plex, although I might play with it since it's already there. The media center will be a poor mans kalidascape server so to speak. My TiVo is set up and running and it works great so far.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Mon Apr 04, 2016 7:02 pm

Just out of curiosity, why do you care if the EPG and DVR services are running even if you don't use them? They don't really take up much in the way of resources. If you don't have anything scheduled to record then the DVR doesn't really do anything. EPG updates happen in the background and don't affect normal operation.

That being said, if you want to disable the EPG and don't feel like disabling services through the Control Panel, just rerun WMC TV signal setup and click the box to not agree with the guide data agreement. You will no longer receive guide data unless you rerun TV signal setup and accept the agreement.