Random black screens when changing channels

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
smassey22180

HTPC Specs: Show details

Random black screens when changing channels

Post by smassey22180 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:06 pm

We recently moved the ETH 6 from Comcast CA to a Comcast FL. I have been working for the past months to get everything working. First we had RG59 in the house to get rid if. Then a bad power adapter on an amp. Then a bad run from the street to the house. And finally a low signal on the entire cul de sac has been fixed. The amp is now gone and signal levels are good in the 0 db range. S/N is above 36 db.

The issue now is, when I select a channel sometimes it does not take. I can switch to HGTV on the guide and I get a blank screen 25% of the time. If I press the down arrow the mini guide shows WMC thinks I am still on the previous channel. Selecting another channel and then HDTV will fix the issue most of the time. What can this be? This did not happen before we moved.

I have reinstalled all the Ceton drivers and re-setup WMC many times.

thanks

SpencerC

Post by SpencerC » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:48 am

the same thing has been happening to me lately. I change the channel and get a black screen. I either change channel up or down using the arrow keys until one of the channels tunes in and then go back to my desired channel and it might finally show up. Often I have to do this several times to get the desired channel.

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:24 am

Myself and others have seen something similar happen with HDHR Prime and a mix of H.264 and MPEG2 channels. In a nutshell, tuning an H.264 channel may render subsequent MPEG2 channels unusable, until a "good" MPEG2 channel is tuned, such as a local channel, e.g. NBC. WRT to the Prime, this is a cable provider issue, not a Prime issue. It was this way for a good three years, until Cox finally got its act together, and it no longer affects me.

smassey22180

Post by smassey22180 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:16 pm

crawfish wrote:Myself and others have seen something similar happen with HDHR Prime and a mix of H.264 and MPEG2 channels. In a nutshell, tuning an H.264 channel may render subsequent MPEG2 channels unusable, until a "good" MPEG2 channel is tuned, such as a local channel, e.g. NBC. with regard to to the Prime, this is a cable provider issue, not a Prime issue. It was this way for a good three years, until Cox finally got its act together, and it no longer affects me.
Thanks for the reply. This makes perfect sense as each market can have a different mix of MPEG. Can this screw up recordings or is the issue just for manual channel changes?

crawfish

Post by crawfish » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:29 pm

smassey22180 wrote:Thanks for the reply. This makes perfect sense as each market can have a different mix of MPEG. Can this screw up recordings or is the issue just for manual channel changes?
Sorry, I don't remember. There's an earlier discussion here. It does affect Ceton users according to a reply from darekd.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 705#p60705