Bandwidth Requirements for HTPC remote streaming

Talk about setting up your home network.
algy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Bandwidth Requirements for HTPC remote streaming

Post by algy » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:09 pm

I'm am trying to stream Recorded TV and Movies from my source HTPC to a target Win7 WMC machine that is mapping back to the source to pull Video and Recorded TV content over VPN.

Question, what should my Source and Target network strength be to allow uninterrupted HD Streaming? It appears my Source Upstream should be more than 4.37 Mbps to make this happen.

Source (FiOS):
- Down: 34.21 Mbps
- Up: 4.37 Mbps

Target (Sprint):
- Down: 6.52 Mbps
- Up: 6.32 Mbps

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:04 pm

Your upstream would have to be higher than the bitrate of the stream you are trying to watch. You have to leave room for TCP overhead as well.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:43 am

I"m not sure where you are streaming from, but in the US, digital TV streams average about 12-15 Mbps, with a cap of about 20 Mbps. I'm not sure how easy it is for you to get an upstream connection that fast, so you may have to look into converting the files into a different format.

Venom51

Post by Venom51 » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:51 am

richard1980 wrote:I"m not sure where you are streaming from, but in the US, digital TV streams average about 12-15 Mbps, with a cap of about 20 Mbps. I'm not sure how easy it is for you to get an upstream connection that fast, so you may have to look into converting the files into a different format.
Adding to what Richard said Mpeg2 HD can easliy blow past the 20 meg mark. Mpeg4 HD will usually run 8 to 12 megs. Alot of this depends on your service provider and how they are handling the video. I have a customer in Delhi, New York that hands his HD customers exactly what he gets off the birds. He doesn't transcode or transrate any of his content. If it's Mpeg2 at 22 megs coming off the bird that's what he hands the customer. I also have on the other end of the spectrum a customer who's trancoding his Mepg4 HD content down to 4.5 megs.

If you want reliable streaming of HD content from your HTPC you'll have almost no choice but to transcode/transrate it down quite a bit.

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:27 pm

Sounds like your talking about playing files from a remote network share (Pull) and not streaming (push)
Two different kettles of fishies.