Stop DVD Autoplay

tghowe

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stop DVD Autoplay

Post by tghowe » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:03 am

Every time I insert a DVD into my PCs drive, WMC begins playing it. I want this action to stop. I've disabled autoplay and set all default actions to "do nothing", plus I disabled the "Shell Hardware Detection" service. It still play as long as WMC has the main focus. This is driving me crazy!

Help Please!
Praise the Gods, Do Good, Act Bravely

tghowe

Post by tghowe » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:08 pm

I've tried everything I can come up with. No one has a working solution?

WMCEnthusiast

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Mon Aug 17, 2015 11:46 pm

I can reproduce the issue only with WMC in full screen. Otherwise the disc won't play according to the settings in control panel.

Over at the overclock forums, the user paleblue came up with the following:
As you know the Media center autoplay is completely internal to media center and is seperate from the regular Windows Autoplay options which can be turned off from the control panel.

Microsoft claim the overly aggressive behaviour of media Center to be a design feature and do not provide a method of turning it off.

You can try adding a dword to your registry to disable the media center DVD player altogether if you wish as follows:

HKLM\\SOFTWARE\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion \\Media Center\\Start Menu

Create a new DWORD called HideDVD and set it to 1.
(You can turn the dvd player back on by setting the value to 0.)
Did the trick for me, I guess that's the best you can get.

tghowe

Post by tghowe » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:11 am

Well that's disappointing....thank you MS. :(

I still wish to use the built-in DVD player, just not with autoplay. Guess i'll get used to it.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:16 pm

There must be a way to stop the autoplay of a DVD! The reason I am sure of this is because I have the MyMovies app. installed which gives me an option in the set up to disable the Media Center autoplay option. When I do this and insert a DVD I get a pop up asking if I wish to play or cancel, clicking on cancel returns you to MCE and the DVD remains idle, clicking play will play the DVD with whatever player is set up as the default (in MyMovies) for that media. In my case that is Media Player Classic but if you have the basic version of MyMovies it would be the Media Center default (i.e. the built in player and TMT/PowerDVD if installed). I have no idea how you would go about creating a program to do this but maybe the answer is to give MyMovies a try it is freeware.

WMCEnthusiast

Post by WMCEnthusiast » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:26 pm

I absolutely recommend MyMovies, too. I can't think of WMC without it because nothing compares to it when it comes to integrating your DVD collection into WMC.