McUpdate causing severe disk thrashing

n4mwd

HTPC Specs: Show details

McUpdate causing severe disk thrashing

Post by n4mwd » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:03 am

Ever since the switch to Rovi, the drive has been thrashing for hours every time I do anything involving the guide. Like opening the guide page or even looking at the guide "about" page. It is not downloading the guide data because I monitored the network connection and nothing is being sent or received of any significant size (everything is less than 5K/s).

I had been playing with Guide Tool, but somehow that caused MC to revert back to Zap2It. Re-running the guide installation on MC made it go back to Rovi, but its still thrashing the hard drive. The drive has been solid red for several hours and the slightest use of any guide feature causes it to start up again. Sometimes its so bad that the entire machine locks up, but mostly it just slows everything down.

I am seriously concerned that this is going to destroy the drive. The only way to stop it that I know of is to just use Task Manager and kill the mcupdate task.

At this point, I'm not sure if this is a problem on my end or something related to Rovi.

Does anybody have any insight as to what is causing this problem all of a sudden?