InfiniTV 4 USB and Windows 8.1

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
perpetual98

HTPC Specs: Show details

InfiniTV 4 USB and Windows 8.1

Post by perpetual98 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:30 am

I've got an InfiniTV 4 USB that I was thinking about digging out of retirement and ordering up a Cable Card from my local cable company since I'm having antenna issues in my new apartment. Back when Windows 8.1 first came out I upgraded and it borked my WMC experience via the InfiniTV 4 USB and I went back to 7. I think I eventually upgraded to Windows 8, but not 8.1 due to the fact that it wouldn't work, but I forget, that was many beers ago.

Anyway, my current HTPC is Windows 8.1 and I think my options are either the Ceton or buy a new HDHomerun Prime. Am I better off ordering the Prime and getting 1 less tuner, or is Windows 8.1 playing nicely with the USB tuner? TIA!

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Mon Aug 10, 2015 5:10 am

Going by the download page on Ceton Support, it states that the Win 8 Pro driver is NOT compatible with the InfiniTV 4 USB device. Your choices are either the HD homerun Prime for three tuners or the Ceton ETH network tuner for six tuners.

perpetual98

Post by perpetual98 » Tue Aug 11, 2015 6:35 pm

UPDATE 08/11/15 (cross posted on AVS)

Last night I decided to try my Ceton on my Windows 8.1 box. With some updated firmware (that I installed on my Windows 7 box, not sure if that mattered) the 8.1 HTPC saw the tuner and everything seemed cool. I contacted Charter to see if what installs looked like and the nice guy from Texas (we were chatting while he was digging up info) he said that he could get me an install this morning, so I booked it.

This morning before the installer got there I noticed that the tuner wasn't responding. Uninstalling it from Device Manager and scanning found it and brought it up again. The installer came and we got everything set up and I had cable on my 8.1 WMC box. I'm still not holding my breath that everything is golden, but at least he got the trap removed from my line so if I do indeed have to order a Prime I should be able to at minimum do a self-install if I have to contact Charter again so it should prevent a truck roll.

He did mention to me that he's never done a PC install before and he's being installing cable for a few years. He also doesn't know anyone else that has done one. I said that the odds were good that he was never going to do another one again.