Can I still get Windows Media Center in 8.1?

ipguy

HTPC Specs: Show details

Can I still get Windows Media Center in 8.1?

Post by ipguy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:07 pm

As I'm having the freezing issues with WMC7 when entering music, I wanted to know if I can still get WMC if I install 8.1 ?

Is WMC stable on 8.1 ?
Netflix still working?
Emby?

Anything else we can do with WMC in 8.1 we can't on 7?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 08, 2015 1:12 pm

You issue is not caused by the OS, so changing the OS is not the appropriate solution. Figure out what is causing the freezing, fix it, and stay with Windows 7.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Aug 08, 2015 2:01 pm

richard1980 wrote:You issue is not caused by the OS, so changing the OS is not the appropriate solution. Figure out what is causing the freezing, fix it, and stay with Windows 7.
Exactly, if your car engine won't start because a particular component is faulty, the solution is to identify the faulty component and repair/replace it. The solution is not to install a new engine.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sat Aug 08, 2015 3:25 pm

Scallica wrote:
richard1980 wrote:You issue is not caused by the OS, so changing the OS is not the appropriate solution. Figure out what is causing the freezing, fix it, and stay with Windows 7.
Exactly, if your car engine won't start because a particular component is faulty, the solution is to identify the faulty component and repair/replace it. The solution is not to install a new engine.
Well, a lot of people would just buy a new car :)

As for the OP's question, changes in WMC, Nothing. The software versions are the same, The options that were removed were (in 8/8.1) start Windows Media Center with windows and Always on top. Your Netflix app does not change, it's the same version, unless your going to hop out of WMC to use the Windows 8 version of Netflix.

The only issue I see they changed for the better in 8.1 (I have been doing a dual boot test over the last week) is in WMC on Windows 7, when ever I did something in WMC the 50 would pop up in the corner (the volume control), starting WMC, going into movies, music or even recorded TV it would pop up. This is gone in 8.1 WMC. There was a direct connection with the volume control, now it's gone. It's something Microsoft fixed by mistake (others might see as a bug) for people who use a AVR, it might be a nice option.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Sat Aug 08, 2015 10:35 pm

With all due respect, if I was able to fix the problem, do you think I would be asking ?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:30 am

ipguy wrote:With all due respect, if I was able to fix the problem, do you think I would be asking ?
To borrow from the car analogy, you have a problem with your gasoline. So your proposed solution is to buy a new car. But buying a new car won't fix the problem with the gasoline. The moment you put the faulty gasoline in your new car, you're back to having problems again.

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:11 am

the solution was to disable "retrieve CD art, media information for DVDs and movies, and internet services from the internet" under Automatic Download Options, in Windows Media Centre

If you disable this in Windows Media Player, it does not fix the freezing problem

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:24 pm

That means you have a network issue somewhere between your computer and Microsoft's data server...which won't resolve itself by upgrading to Windows 8.1.

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 12:54 pm

richard1980 wrote:That means you have a network issue somewhere between your computer and Microsoft's data server...which won't resolve itself by upgrading to Windows 8.1.
Might explain why my Xbox 360 won't update either