Entire Guide shows no data

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
wilspin

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by wilspin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:03 pm

just checked one on my WMC guide has returned without doing anything!

wilspin

Post by wilspin » Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:04 pm

wow lots of mis-spells on call letters

cantak

Post by cantak » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:04 am

DOS4EVER wrote: This is a common issue everyone is having. There really is no easy workaround. You just have to keep trying.
Well I've tried about 100 times. Tried OpenDNS, Tried Google's DNS.

Anyone have other thoughts? This is still not working.

cantak

Post by cantak » Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:26 pm

So I messed with changing my DNS servers (tried 8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4, 208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) and flushed DNS each time.

The cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com address ALWAYS resolves to 63.158.227.152. A ping always works.

The data.tvdownload.microsoft.com address is never pingable though that may not be a problem. Various IP addresses reported are: 65.55.5.170, 10.22.112.74, 63.158.227.152, and 10.22.112.70

I tried setting up my hosts file with 72.246.56.59 and 2.16.216.176 for the CDN address.

I tried setting up my hosts file with 65.55.186.115, 65.55.186.113, and 65.55.5.170 for the DATA address.

I tried getting guide data for every @#$@# combination here. Nothing works.

cantak

Post by cantak » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:37 pm

I disabled my network entirely and plugged my phone in to my computer with tethering enabled. It downloaded guide data instantly. The IP address for the "data" server resolves to 65.55.186.113 for anyone needing to modify their hosts file. That address did not work for me a mere three hours ago. Hopefully this is resolved by 8/7 when the guide data expires.

spinnaker

Post by spinnaker » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:26 pm

I had the same issue and I did the change of zipcode thing and it worked. Thankfully it kept all of my scheduled recordings.

scinsf

Post by scinsf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:55 pm

I did the following and the guide finally loaded:

1) uninstalled all the windows updates dated 7/22/2015
2) rebooted
3) ran the TV Setup in mce
a) changed the ZIP to a neighboring ZIP

And now it works.....

simonorman

Post by simonorman » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:53 am

Hi guys - new member but longtime user of the useful forums here after cutting the cord long ago. So just wanted to post my 2¢ - after tons of research and issues with the switch over from Zap2It to Rovi, I finally found success as well by simply changing the zip code within the tv setup. At first I wondered if it was an update issue since my info still said "Zap2It" under the About the Guide section, and every attempt to update the data resulted in a message saying it had successfully downloaded but that it was currently downloading, as well - no alternate nearby zip codes were working and telling me that it could not be downloaded. I finally came here and noted that others were having success by randomly lucking across a zip code that would work.

Here's what I discovered:
•Go to http://www.zipmap.net/ and find your state. Don't continue forward with your county, just locate your region and slowly zoom in with the scroll wheel.
•Find the zip code near you that covers the LARGEST AREA and punch that one in.

Reading a different blog (here: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/cfulle ... 20th-2015/) showed me that Rovi isn't as OTA centered as it is Internet centered, and I began to figure that it doesn't account for population density so much as region spread area. Although we live in the largest city in the state, we have very sparse zip codes due to the population level. The zip code that ended up working covers a large area with a very small population because it only has one post office. Somewhat ridiculous, but make some sense based on how it might be indexed by Rovicorp. Anyway - good luck hope it helps.

Slugbait

Post by Slugbait » Sun Jul 26, 2015 7:56 am

I hadn't used WMC on my relatively new Win7 desktop for about two weeks, and had the same result as other OTAs on this thread: no listings, "successful download" of listings, but no listings with prompt to download, vicious cycle, etc. A google search led me to a 50-page thread here at greenbutton, and I tried a few suggestions (including a few posted in this thread) which all failed. About screen always said my provider was MediaCenterDefault or something like that with ID: 186294284.

I left TGB after six or seven pages (about an hour) because most of those guys had cablecard tuners, and I googled again, and found that nuking from orbit was the solution. I now have my guide listings. Here's how:

1) Click Start
2) Type CMD
3) Right click on CMD->Run as Admin
4) Copy-n-paste the following in the command window: %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask
5) Reboot and launch WMC

You'll be notified that WMC has suffered a catastrophic error (I forget the exact feedback dialog wording...editor's embellishment) and you need to run setup again (like the first use).

6) Select Express
7) Go to Tasks->Settings->TV->Set Up TV Signal
8) Run the setup wizard, select your area listing, etc

I got my guide again. And the About screen now says I have Rovi.

Cantak, I realize you ran %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask as an admin (not that exact line)...but you don't specify if you did it while WMC was running, or if you rebooted after running it. WMC cannot be running, and you must reboot. One or both of these might be the issue.

walkabt

Post by walkabt » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:34 pm

Glad the TGB is still around. It feels like I haven't been here in five years (or at least the previous incarnation that MS took over)... this thread was helpful.

macmcd

Post by macmcd » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:42 am

The options for which service no longer allows for broadcast, yes, broadcast, over the air, like the old days only digital.

When I go to http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings to view the same data that is provided to Media Center and there is no option for local broadcast listings.

Also, the MS link to post feedback in the thread dated July 7 leads to a dead end. Is Microsoft concerned with correcting this problem or are they dropping support?

Slugbait

Post by Slugbait » Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:54 am

macmcd wrote:The options for which service no longer allows for broadcast, yes, broadcast, over the air, like the old days only digital.

When I go to http://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/tv-listings to view the same data that is provided to Media Center and there is no option for local broadcast listings.

Also, the MS link to post feedback in the thread dated July 7 leads to a dead end. Is Microsoft concerned with correcting this problem or are they dropping support?
While running setup last night, WMC correctly detected that my machine was on an antenna. After entering my zip code, I was given three OTA options, and 0 cable/satellite options.

Clicking your msn link, it correctly saw my location and provided me with my zip code area...and all three of the OTA options in my county (as well as cable options). I was not logged into PIA at the time (that probably would have changed what msn thinks is my location).

The problem is on your end. Are you using a VPN? Perhaps you need to nuke from orbit, like I had to, and start fresh.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Jul 27, 2015 1:47 am

macmcd wrote:The options for which service no longer allows for broadcast, yes, broadcast, over the air, like the old days only digital.

I looked at that link & entered my zip code. At first I did not see the OTA option in the drop down menu. I scrolled down the list & OTA was the last entry. However on my PC monitor it displays below the black area where all the other option appear. IOW it overlays on top of the left side red margin with the channel listings & was difficult to see. If I moved the cursor down the list & just below the black area I was able to clearly see it. Obviously your display setup may show differently but try scrolling the list all the way down & then moving your cursor all the way down the list & then a little more.

Mchac

Post by Mchac » Mon Jul 27, 2015 3:19 am

For anyone in Sacramento, CA, the working Zip Code is 95817. I'm in the 95670 Zip Code, and it took me hunting around the Sacramento area for a working location. Hope this helps someone else.

sparkinstx

Post by sparkinstx » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:31 am

Hey guys, I noticed the same issue tonight. I re-ran TV setup, and changed the ZIP code from the one I was using (75201, downtown Dallas) to the one for the exurb I live in. It sounds counter-intuitive, but it worked. It took a a few minutes, but it detected all the channels (I'll have to go back and re-hide some), and it took a couple of looks at the guide listings for everything to appear. All my scheduled recordings are still there, too. Got my fingers crossed that this keeps working. I had noticed the prompts that guide listings were had less than the days to go, but didn't really see the problem until I decided to record the 10:00 news tonight to catch a story, and had to do a manual recording.

wassupTC

Post by wassupTC » Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Just a random conspiracy theory...maybe if you try a ZIP code in a Time Warner market nearby...maybe that'll work: http://online.barrons.com/articles/SB51 ... 3789125492

Rovi has been serving TW for a while now, so maybe that information is readily available. Just a total guess. I live in Omaha near Lincoln, NE (a TW market) and put in 68522 and the guide data pulled in.

Total guess...hope it helps somone.

columbia93

Post by columbia93 » Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:58 pm

I am a Time Warner customer and I am unable to get my guide to switch from Zap2It to Rovi. I've been working hard at it for 5 days and nothing. I submitted a ticket to Microsoft on the 26th and 0 response. I've tweeted back and forth with Rovi - who isn't interested in dealing with their own mess and just referred me back to Microsoft. I've put in my zip plus several others around it, including the zip that contains my TW provider just a few miles away, and nothing works. I don't think the zips mean much more than determining how WMC populates the provider list. My zip shows 9 providers and my TWC zip shows 7 (they aren't serviced by a provider that is in the city just to the south of us).

I don't know much about how it works and some of the suggestions I've found call for all kinds of solutions for things I've no idea about. Additionally, most of the questions I've found online are people with OTA issues and not cable company customers. I don't know if the fact that I have Vista is an issue - can't imagine it would make much difference since it is still Media Center, even though I know they don't service Vista anymore.

I'm sick of it and missing recordings. My only other option is to use the DVR but it is nearly full - TWC doesn't provide a very large storage for all that money - plus it means having to re-record on my PC. I'd like to keep from taking that extra step and CONSIDERABLE time, especially for something like this that is inexcusable.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:25 am

columbia93 wrote:I don't know much about how it works and some of the suggestions I've found call for all kinds of solutions for things I've no idea about.
Some of the solutions posted on this forum may be a bit technical, however, you should be comfortable trying the host file modification approach. After following the steps below, my guide switched to Rovi immediately.

1. On the desktop, right click anywhere, and create a new shortcut to cmd.exe and name it Command Prompt.
2. Right click on the shortcut and select Run as Administrator
3. At the prompt, type notepad c:\Windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
4. In Notepad, add the following lines to the bottom:

65.55.186.113 data.tvdownload.microsoft.com
72.246.56.59 cdn.epg.tvdownload.microsoft.com

5. Save the file. At the prompt, type ipconfig /flushdns
6. Re-run the TV guide setup in WMC
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Miss8CH

Post by Miss8CH » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:28 am

Slugbait wrote:I left TGB after six or seven pages (about an hour) because most of those guys had cablecard tuners, and I googled again, and found that nuking from orbit was the solution. I now have my guide listings. Here's how:

1) Click Start
2) Type CMD
3) Right click on CMD->Run as Admin
4) Copy-n-paste the following in the command window: %systemroot%\ehome\mcupdate.exe -MediaCenterRecoveryTask
5) Reboot and launch WMC

You'll be notified that WMC has suffered a catastrophic error (I forget the exact feedback dialog wording...editor's embellishment) and you need to run setup again (like the first use).

6) Select Express
7) Go to Tasks->Settings->TV->Set Up TV Signal
8) Run the setup wizard, select your area listing, etc

I got my guide again. And the About screen now says I have Rovi.
:clap: :clap: :clap: After a lengthy search and many attempts to get my guide back, including using different zip codes within a 250 mile radius (didn't work), THIS solution brought it back. In configuring my TV signal, I used my zip code but noticed the selections now included a selection between HD and SD from my cable provider (Time Warner). These were not previous selections. Not knowing the difference, I did a google search which showed SD was standard definition and selected SD. It was the longest (at least if felt like it) wait yet...and voila, my guide returned! :D Thanks so much Slugbait!

Miss8CH

Post by Miss8CH » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Miss8CH wrote:After a lengthy search and many attempts to get my guide back, including using different zip codes within a 250 mile radius (didn't work), THIS solution brought it back.
I forgot to mention, prior to this solution, I cleared my windows media center using steps found here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7158323_clear-w ... enter.html as well as this step found here: http://superuser.com/questions/440443/f ... er-channel I found that clearing the windows media center ehome folder helped in getting my guide back because I needed to do this for another desktop when the above solution didn't work on its own.