Ceton PCIe 6 prototype?

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kd6icz

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton PCIe 6 prototype?

Post by kd6icz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:19 pm

This looks really old and I don't think it's a PCIe 6... But maybe I'm wrong?

http://r.ebay.com/z0Ogy8

STC

Post by STC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:26 pm

Eric must have thrown some stuff out. You never know this one could have some nice FW on it...
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:34 pm

eBay listing user is a "local small business electronics recycler". I wonder how they got it? Maybe Ceton cleared out their office :silent:

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:36 pm

RyC wrote:Maybe Ceton cleared out their office :silent:
Would not be that surprising, given the recent state of affairs.

steveo_in_sd

Post by steveo_in_sd » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:57 pm

They are located near Tacoma - http://www.yelp.com/map/uptekk-pacific

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:42 am

So, on a thing I said screw it, if it is a true 6 tuner, I'll bid on it, I won it for $50.... If it's the same as current models, accepts standard firmware and is still a true PCIe 6 card then I got a good deal.

They offer a 60 day return on it if it does not work right, so when I get it, I will drop it in, and see if it's detected as a PCIe 6 tuner, if it is, then I will try it out. If it shows as a 4 or anything else, bugs or issues, I will return it...

After all, once you drop in your PC, who really cares what it looks like ?

The questions I have, is there is a lot of connectors on it that look like non standard ports. It will be interesting to see what it really is....

If it fully works, then I got a PCIe 6 tuner for $50....SCORE ! :)

Once I get it, I will take some pictures and post them and also update this with my results....
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:49 am

You also realize you'll never get support from Ceton with that, right? I don't think it's smart to try and use it in a production environment. I think it should only serve as a novelty/keepsake. But, to each their own ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:02 am

DavidinCT wrote:So, on a thing I said screw it, if it is a true 6 tuner, I'll bid on it, I won it for $50.... If it's the same as current models, accepts standard firmware and is still a true PCIe 6 card then I got a good deal.

They offer a 60 day return on it if it does not work right, so when I get it, I will drop it in, and see if it's detected as a PCIe 6 tuner, if it is, then I will try it out. If it shows as a 4 or anything else, bugs or issues, I will return it...

After all, once you drop in your PC, who really cares what it looks like ?

The questions I have, is there is a lot of connectors on it that look like non standard ports. It will be interesting to see what it really is....

If it fully works, then I got a PCIe 6 tuner for $50....SCORE ! :)

Once I get it, I will take some pictures and post them and also update this with my results....
I forgot to bid on it. I only wanted it as a keepsake. If you find it doesn't work I would be willing to buy it off you. I'm sure all those connections are test points or service connectors of some type. I seriously doubt it's a PCIe 6. But who knows...?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:18 am

OK, I'll let you know, anyway about it I will follow up on this post with my results...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 3:42 am

It's not a 6 tuner card. I had a couple of the first hand built versions for testing and they were single width and longer. This looks like a very early 4 version and it has a regular RF connector which never made it to production since they couldn't do a low profile with it. It also looks like it would take up three slots in a machine. One looks like a double and the daughter card another slot.

Don't know what they mean by "tested and working" unless they picked up a cable card and paired it for the test and that seems unlikely from a re-cycler (they all say tested and working).

Looking forward to your unboxing and testing report.

John

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:02 pm

JohnW248 wrote:It's not a 6 tuner card. I had a couple of the first hand built versions for testing and they were single width and longer. This looks like a very early 4 version and it has a regular RF connector which never made it to production since they couldn't do a low profile with it. It also looks like it would take up three slots in a machine. One looks like a double and the daughter card another slot.

Don't know what they mean by "tested and working" unless they picked up a cable card and paired it for the test and that seems unlikely from a re-cycler (they all say tested and working).

Looking forward to your unboxing and testing report.

John
I would bet they never fully tested, maybe put in a PC and see that Windows detected it as a Ceton tuner, I should have it early this week. I am going away in a few days but, I should be able to find the time to install it and show results...

I would almost bet they saw Ceton 6 tuners get more than 4 tuners, so they put that on there to try to get more for it.

It will be interesting to see...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:36 pm

I got this in, It looks clean and new. There is total of 3 boards on it, 2 with the one that puts in the PCIe slot (double card), the other card there is no connectors on the PCIe, it just sits in a PCIe slot and connects to the main board.

I have a business trip this week so unable to play, maybe this weekend or next week, I will post details pictures and results once I get the time.

If it is a 6, I will play with it and keep it, if it's just a 4, I will yank it and return it or unless someone here wants it. As long as there is -0- cost to me (I have $59.99 into it now), I don't mind passing it to a fellow member if wanted.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:20 pm

Does it have four small square chips total? Two on one side two on another. Each one is a tuner.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:26 pm

STC wrote:Does it have four small square chips total? Two on one side two on another. Each one is a tuner.
There are a total of 3 boards, the main as 2 boards on one card, the 3rd board just sits in a PCIe slot (with no connections on it, just a wire to the main board)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ceton-InfiniTV- ... true&rt=nc

Here is the pictures from the auction (I am at work), I will get some good pictures to post tonight if I have the chance.

I dont think anything critcal recording tonight, so if I have that Window, I am going to do a complete backup of the machine, remove my Ceton 4 and install this tuner. If it is only a 4, I will yank it and restore my backup (so software is not changed), if it's a 6, I will play with it from there.

I will keep this post updated with the status of it...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:56 am

OK, so I finally got a chance to play with this. I took some pictures but, I will post them up to my one drive later tonight or tomorrow. So I tried this set of cards in 2 different machines, the machine detects it as a "PCI device" I tried my cablecard from my 4 tuner, and it fits fine. So I go to Ceton's site and download the newest driver, software installs, reboot computer, and open the configuration page, tell me "No InfiniTV found, will Continue to search". Then I check the Device manager, No driver for the "PCI Device" was installed.

I tried in a 2nd machine with the same results. I even tried them on Windows 10 (as it should install the 8.1 x64 drivers, it would not show tv but, the software should detect it), and the same result, "PCI Device" and no driver. I tried to manually search in Ceton's folder for the driver, I found it and installed it but, the Ceton software still does not see it.

So, anyone have access to a older driver that might detect this version, or any idea what to try to see if it works ? Right now it's installed in my office computer, so no cablecard or Coax connected but, it could be arranged if needed for testing, I wanted my HTPC up and running so I pulled it from that machine.

TO the person who wanted it as a keepsake, if your interested, drop me a PM, as I have already sent a email to the seller, as they claimed it was tested and working, so I want a copy of the drivers that they used to test it.....I'm smelling some BS but, if they can provide drivers that work then what do I know ?

I will bet money that they will just offer me a refund and ask me to return it, meaning never tested... as I figured.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:25 am

You might try a driver from older different CableCARD tuners. Like the ATI? Was it called the TV Wonder? Those chips look a few years old. Are there any dates stamped anywhere?

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:29 am

Looks similar...

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:41 am

kd6icz wrote:You might try a driver from older different CableCARD tuners. Like the ATI? Was it called the TV Wonder? Those chips look a few years old. Are there any dates stamped anywhere?
It's Clearly listed as Ceton product on the boards and I owned a ATI tuner at one time (my first cablecard tuner, I still have it as they are worth like $20 or so), it looks nothing like this card and if it did, those were SINGLE tuners, I would not even be interested in it. Not sure where to go from here on it...

Chances are I am just going to return it, as it is not as listed....
Last edited by DavidinCT on Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:43 am

I'm just thinking the chips are probably older that may have been used on other tuner cards. Do the chips have any info on them?

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:45 am

kd6icz wrote:I'm just thinking the chips are probably older that may have been used on other tuner cards. Do the chips have any info on them?
Boards are still installed in the PC, hoping for drivers to show up. I took some 16mp pictures with my Nokia ICON, I will try to post a link to them in the morning, all I have is one drive for that stuff but, I'll see what I can do...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave