Remote potato / opendns settings

jeremyjhartley

HTPC Specs: Show details

Remote potato / opendns settings

Post by jeremyjhartley » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:43 am

I am sorry if this is in the wrong subgroup. I didn't really know where to put it. I have recently set up remote potato on my windows 7 wmc. I am just wondering what settings I use in remote potato I need to use in order to use opendns rather than dyndns. I have the opendns client and it shows my ip address. I assume that I just need to enter that into the setup wizard?

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:57 am

The two services are very different. You need to setup a service like DynDNS so you can always get into your home IP from a remote location.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

jeremyjhartley

Post by jeremyjhartley » Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:31 am

So is there another service like dyndns that is free? On the guide to set up remote potato it says to use dyndns and create a trial pro account. It then says to cancel the pro account but that you should still be able to keep your host name. It even gives a link to an article that says you keep your host name after cancellation. The problem is that the article was written in 2012 and I am betting that it is no longer accurate. I went ahead and created an account and a host name but then I went to cancel the account so that I wouldn't be charged and it is telling me that the host name will be deleted. I haven't cancelled yet, but I will soon because the free trial is only 3 days.

STC

Post by STC » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:52 am

There are many others. I don't use one as I have a static IP at home. Google DynDNS similar
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Duckdns is a good one:
http://www.duckdns.org/

jeremyjhartley

Post by jeremyjhartley » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:48 am

I got signed up for no-ip.com. I need to get it set up on my home computer. I will let you know.