WMC freezing when entering Music

ipguy

HTPC Specs: Show details

WMC freezing when entering Music

Post by ipguy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Hi

Has anyone experienced WMC freezing for 2 - 3 minutes when entering music?

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:38 pm

What shares have you setup?
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:41 pm

The music is on a locally installed HDD, D:
I've just mapped Z: for my movies

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:49 pm

ipguy wrote:Hi

Just wondering, how much music do you have ? I have seen this where when loading music it checks for art and new content, it hangs a little but, I have only about 20-25gb of music. I can see if you have a really large collection, it could hang for a time.

When you first load Music or Movies on WMC, it will check for new art and Meta data from the Internet, if you have a really slow connection or a REALLY large library, this can cause WMC to hang for a short time depending on the size(CPU and HD speed can affect this a little too). You might see all Images "flash" before it's ready to use (go to blank labels and then all the music art).

If your Art and meta data is all set, try this. Settings>General>Automatic Download Options> Disable "Retrieve CD Album art, Media information for DVDs and movies, and Internet Services from the Internet.".

Restart Media Center and try again, Let me know if it resolves this issue.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:20 am

DavidinCT wrote:

Just wondering, how much music do you have ? I have seen this where when loading music it checks for art and new content, it hangs a little but, I have only about 20-25gb of music. I can see if you have a really large collection, it could hang for a time.

When you first load Music or Movies on WMC, it will check for new art and Meta data from the Internet, if you have a really slow connection or a REALLY large library, this can cause WMC to hang for a short time depending on the size(CPU and HD speed can affect this a little too). You might see all Images "flash" before it's ready to use (go to blank labels and then all the music art).

If your Art and meta data is all set, try this. Settings>General>Automatic Download Options> Disable "Retrieve CD Album art, Media information for DVDs and movies, and Internet Services from the Internet.".

Its strange to be honest, we only have 100 CDs ripped from originals that we have had for years and never experienced the freezing issue.

I recently rebuilt MCE and used MCE reset toolbox to remove some menu like sport, picture and videos... It might be that, not sure.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Tue Jul 14, 2015 1:07 am

ipguy wrote:
DavidinCT wrote:

Its strange to be honest, we only have 100 CDs ripped from originals that we have had for years and never experienced the freezing issue.

I recently rebuilt MCE and used MCE reset toolbox to remove some menu like sport, picture and videos... It might be that, not sure.
Hmmm.... Not sure what that program does off the top of my head but, there is a few methods to "Nuke" WMC back to First run (What MS calls the first time you run WMC).

In case you didn't know, The Music Library in WMC is controlled by Windows MEDIA PLAYER. So, if it's really causing an issue, you can reset the music library, I would remove your music folder from Media Center, so it shows no music, then find out how to reset Windows Media Player (lots of links by a quick bing/google search), After Media Player is set back to it's defaults, run it first so it asks you the first questions, then when it opens, the library should have NOTHING in it(clean and back to defaults).

Close WMP (I might reboot here), and then open WMC and re-add your music...If the program you got reset just WMC but, didn't reset WMP, that could be part of your problem.

Try the quick thing I suggested see if that fixes it, if not I would reset WMP...I would bet it would fix your problem.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:28 pm

After a complete windows reinstall, I added my music and its still freezing when I enter the music menu in MCE to play my music

I'm at a loss as to why its doing this.

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:16 am

Any help would be appreciated, I'm at a loss

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:20 pm

did you install a FLAC decoder? If so, uninstall it to see if it is causing the problem.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 11:40 pm

Shark007 wrote:did you install a FLAC decoder? If so, uninstall it to see if it is causing the problem.
I don't have any third party codecs installed at all yet opening the music menu causes MCE to freeze for 15 to 30 seconds and increases as the number of albums increase.

Is anyone else experiencing or have they experienced this in the past ?

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:10 am

I'm at a loss to explain whats going on

Nothing in event viewer to suggest errors.

ipguy

Post by ipguy » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:12 am

The solution was to disable "retrieve CD art, media information for DVDs and movies, and internet services from the internet" under Automatic Download Options, in Windows Media Centre

If you disable this in Windows Media Player, it does not fix the freezing problem, you MUST do it in MCE

shadowman46

Post by shadowman46 » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:12 am

The solution was to disable "retrieve CD art, media information for DVDs and movies, and internet services from the internet" under Automatic Download Options, in Windows Media Centre

If you disable this in Windows Media Player, it does not fix the freezing problem, you MUST do it in MCE
Thank you so much-- this immediately fixed my problem.

Key point: In WMC, under "Settings/General"-- disable automatic downloads for CD art, etc.
Doing this in "Windows Media Player" alone is not sufficient.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Keywords: Windows Media Center WMC music library hangs freezes