HD Channels display as SD NYC Cablevision

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
eric90066

HTPC Specs: Show details

HD Channels display as SD NYC Cablevision

Post by eric90066 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:51 pm

Hello all,

Long time lerker first time poster. I have WMC with Silicondust's wonderful HD Homerun. One of my systems got the new guide update. I'm NYC Cablevision and they've changed their channel guides to get rid of the HD 700 channels. The guide says HD channels should appear with their lowered numbered SD brethren, but they are not high definition.

Fortunately HD Homerun's own app still shows the 700 channels. Hopefully folks in the NY area with Cablevision can provide some guidance on how to force WMC to display HD with these channels.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:07 pm

Just Edit Channels in WMC and change the numbers.

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:21 pm

mdavej wrote:Just Edit Channels in WMC and change the numbers.
Unfortunately that doesn't change the SD signal to HD.

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:03 am

The new Rovi update in Windows 7 Media Center has eliminated the HD 700 channel stations in NYC Cablevision. To be fair, it appears to be Cablevision who had the bright idea of eliminating the 700 line up and have the HD and SD channels share the same number.

Unfortunately, although marked as HD, the programming view as SD. This is not good. I have another system that has the last days of zap2it schedule left then, I assume, its all gone.

Any ideas on how to get the HD channels to display as HD?

jaa

Post by jaa » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:35 am

eric90066 wrote:I have WMC with Silicondust's wonderful HD Homerun. One of my systems got the new guide update. I'm NYC Cablevision and they've changed their channel guides to get rid of the HD 700 channels.
WMC, HD HomeRun, and Cablevision Connecticut (Norwalk).

Same problem. 700s are all gone from the guide. Can watch with the Silicondust viewer, but not with WMC.

Is there any way in WMC to view a channel that is not in the guide? I tried changing channel 2 to 702, and that did not do anything.

harbisd

Post by harbisd » Sat Jul 11, 2015 2:55 am

jaa wrote:
eric90066 wrote:I have WMC with Silicondust's wonderful HD Homerun. One of my systems got the new guide update. I'm NYC Cablevision and they've changed their channel guides to get rid of the HD 700 channels.

Same problem. 700s are all gone from the guide. Can watch with the Silicondust viewer, but not with WMC.

Is there any way in WMC to view a channel that is not in the guide? I tried changing channel 2 to 702, and that did not do anything.

You can use the GuideTool app (http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool) to manually add channels to each tuner. It's a lot of trouble but it works. There is a tuners button with an add channel button in its popup. You'll have to add the channel 3 times (one for each tuner). It wants to know the callsign, channel number, and real channel number (just make them the same, that functionality is for folks who want to reorder their guide). Then highlight the 3 new channels, right click and merge them into one listing. Then highlight the new listing in the left pane, and find guide data for it in the right pane, and press the subscribe button to give it guide data.

This takes forever, but after a couple hours, I added all my missing channels back and can watch and record them.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sat Jul 11, 2015 11:09 am

Since this issue was caused by Cablevision's lineup change, and not the Microsoft guide data provider change, I moved all posts here.

Regarding the GuideTool approach of manually re-adding the channels to the EPG, what happens when Cablevision eventually kills the signal on those channels or puts a different network there (i.e., 702, 704)?

There has got to be a better solution.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 4:21 pm

Scallica wrote:Since this issue was caused by Cablevision's lineup change, and not the Microsoft guide data provider change, I moved all posts here.
OK. Sorry about that.
Scallica wrote: Regarding the GuideTool approach of manually re-adding the channels to the EPG, what happens when Cablevision eventually kills the signal on those channels or puts a different network there (i.e., 702, 704)?

But MSNBC which hd and sd should be 23 under the new rules is 32. So my WMC guide has 3 channel 32 (which is cartoon network).

So there's something more going on here. Cablevision on my cable box has it right.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Jul 11, 2015 5:33 pm

Just in case we've missed the obvious, you did run TV setup in WMC again and pick the new lineup, right?

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:52 pm

Cablevision in NJ here, and all is well so far... The info mailed to me from Cablevision said is that the 700's would be dropped on their own boxes since they have been redundant for ages, but that TIVO and other tuner owners (like me with the two Primes) would still have access to the 700's. I am assuming that the issue might not be the Cablevision change since that was supposed to be at the beginning of August, and this is something with the ROVI change. Is it possible that ROVI might not know they have both?!?

eric90066

Post by eric90066 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:29 pm

mdavej wrote:Just in case we've missed the obvious, you did run TV setup in WMC again and pick the new lineup, right?
Yes I did. Multiple times. We did nothing wrong. Rovi is not showing the 700 channels.
Doctor Feelgood wrote:Cablevision in NJ here, and all is well so far... The info mailed to me from Cablevision said is that the 700's would be dropped on their own boxes since they have been redundant for ages, but that TIVO and other tuner owners (like me with the two Primes) would still have access to the 700's. I am assuming that the issue might not be the Cablevision change since that was supposed to be at the beginning of August, and this is something with the ROVI change. Is it possible that ROVI might not know they have both?!?

I'm still confused. I don't know if Rovi just screwed this up, if cablevision (my cablebox shows the 700 channel, just all of them have a warning) or WMC or HD Homerun. Moreover, the guide shows channels as HD, but when you view them they are clearly not.

My other system still has zap2it and I still have hd channels (thankfully the guide has not updated to the new rovi listings).
harbisd wrote:
You can use the GuideTool app (http://1geek1tool.com/guidetool) to manually add channels to each tuner. It's a lot of trouble but it works. There is a tuners button with an add channel button in its popup. You'll have to add the channel 3 times (one for each tuner). It wants to know the callsign, channel number, and real channel number (just make them the same, that functionality is for folks who want to reorder their guide). Then highlight the 3 new channels, right click and merge them into one listing. Then highlight the new listing in the left pane, and find guide data for it in the right pane, and press the subscribe button to give it guide data.

This takes forever, but after a couple hours, I added all my missing channels back and can watch and record them.
Although this a total pain, it works. Now I have the 700 channels (I did only the ones I needed) and now I can see HD. Thanks Harbisd

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:42 pm

I think this is because of Microsoft. Their new provider is using the lineup for a cable box. Guide tool does not work on WIndows 8 and there is no way I am going back to Windows 7.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:54 pm

Scallica wrote:Since this issue was caused by Cablevision's lineup change, and not the Microsoft guide data provider change, I moved all posts here.

Regarding the GuideTool approach of manually re-adding the channels to the EPG, what happens when Cablevision eventually kills the signal on those channels or puts a different network there (i.e., 702, 704)?

This has everything to do with the guide data provider and not Cablevision. The 700 channels exist with the HDhomerun software and every other provider. The are using the same provider as the xbox which works with a cable box.

jaa

Post by jaa » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:07 pm

It seems Rovi has "2" as both WCBS and WCBS HD.

My guess is that is what they get from Cablevision. Not sure how "2" can be both, although I think the Cablevision boxes use "2" to tune the HD channel. Not sure you can even get the SD channels on a cable box. I don't know for sure since I don't have one.

If Rovi simply had WCBS HD as 702 (and all the other 700s channels) all would be well.

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:18 pm

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:34 pm

Hmm, according to the link below, Cablevision will not be deleting the 700 channels (for CableCard customers) from their lineup.

https://www.optimum.net/pages/tv/cablecard.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:02 pm

The new lineup from the provider is for a cable box which is used with the Xbox One.

jreynosonyc

Post by jreynosonyc » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:54 am

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r301627 ... dia-Center

SAME ISSUE!

On the phone with CableVision now... They sent a fancy "update to my Cable Card"

Oldbridge, NJ in the Raritan System for Cablevision

Told them about the 700's range issue.
Referred to this post and the one on DSL Reports

This is a guide data issue for certain. CV did not sent Rovi the guide listings for Cable Card peeps.

I am trying to open an escalated ticket with CV to get the 700 block back on, this may require another complaint to the FCC to get them to fix this. For those who remember, we had to do that last year because of certain 700 range channels simply not working and then "magically" after a few complaints CV "fixed" the problem.

Rocking a Ceton InfiniTV 6 which was working flawlessly before this lineup switch.

OK, as I was writing this, they escalated this ticket to the engineering dept, apparently there is "no known" issue. Ha!

Will update once I get my callback in two days!

docluv01

Post by docluv01 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 2:58 am

THANK GOD!!

This seems to have done the trick!

I'll have to come up with come kind of creative way to mass input all this though......

harbisd wrote:
jaa wrote:

deihmos

Post by deihmos » Mon Jul 13, 2015 3:24 am

Too bad that tool does not work with Windows 8