Comcast cable card

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
bob_p

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by bob_p » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:40 pm

If others have this working reliably - that's what I wanted to know.

I have a new house - and had the builder install wiring upgrades so I have a lot of configuration options to run cable, data and video (over CAT6) throughout the house - and should be able to set up a partitioned coax environment to separate the X1 and non-X1 devices.

Looks like I'll be placing another call to Comcast to check into this.

Thanks!

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:25 pm

Why would a simple splitter not work? Cable card tuners and Moca get mixed all the time. Moca is designed to work this way be definition. There is no need to isolate anything. The ethernet part operates at frequencies other tuners don't even see. Keep the POE where it is and add a splitter, that's it.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 6:54 pm

search demodulation or modulation errors

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:39 am

Sounds like bob has the ideal cabling setup. Likely all runs dropped back to a central location.

Mpgrimm2 has a couple nice diagrams (and pictures) on structured wiring in this post. post 174 and 212

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 127#p78127

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 881#p79881

He had to patch things in differently a couple times......but ended up with a pretty slick setup.

Here are a couple main splitter/amp ideas.

http://www.ppc-online.com/Products/Entry/index.cfm
Attachments
CableAmps.JPG

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:11 pm

Had an online chat with Comcast - and the support person indicated CableCards will work in the presence of an X1 box, so I've scheduled an install in two weeks - and will post my results here.

My preference is to continue using WMC, and, if they implement enough functionality, to shift over to the SD DVR software. Though, as long as X1 doesn't break the CableCards, and it doesn't cost me anything (part of my package), it'll be good to have the X1 box as a fallback (in case there's another extended outage of the WMC program guide).

KarlBeem

Post by KarlBeem » Wed Aug 12, 2015 2:22 am

fusa wrote:My cable television service has quit working as of 6/8/2015. I replaced the cable card 3 times, and tried to reactivate the card. Comcast has been unable to activate the card. After talking to a manger at the local office, she said Comcast has updated their system which no longer supports the use of cable cards. Is this legal? I thought by FCC law cable providers were required to provide cable cards to customers and allow them to install them. According to the Comcast manager they provide the card, but no longer support the use of cable cards.
Their vaunted X1 uses cablecards doesn't it?