Comcast cable card

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
fusa

HTPC Specs: Show details

Comcast cable card

Post by fusa » Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:04 pm

My cable television service has quit working as of 6/8/2015. I replaced the cable card 3 times, and tried to reactivate the card. Comcast has been unable to activate the card. After talking to a manger at the local office, she said Comcast has updated their system which no longer supports the use of cable cards. Is this legal? I thought by FCC law cable providers were required to provide cable cards to customers and allow them to install them. According to the Comcast manager they provide the card, but no longer support the use of cable cards.

Paw Paw

Post by Paw Paw » Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:58 pm

I would recommend that you open up a ticket with Ceton. They have contacts with all of the major cable companies and can "reach out" to Comcast to get you the help you need. But, before they do that they will want to see a diagnostic for your card. With it they can eliminate a lot of possible problems and possibly pinpoint what is causing your problem.

As to the Comcast statement that they are no longer supporting cable cards I would find it hard to believe. They definitely want to stop supporting them but, as you stated, they are required to at least for the time being.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:32 am

fusa wrote:After talking to a manger at the local office, she said Comcast has updated their system which no longer supports the use of cable cards. Is this legal?
No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telecommun ... ct_of_1996
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

webminster

Post by webminster » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:32 am

Yup... I'd ask for the supervisor.
-Alan

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:45 pm

I'm pretty sure you probably already tried this phone number: Comcast:877-405-2298 but if you haven't its Comcast cable card line you might have more luck calling that line than with your local office or a general number.

fusa

Post by fusa » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:29 pm

Sharks wrote:I'm pretty sure you probably already tried this phone number: Comcast:877-405-2298 but if you haven't its Comcast cable card line you might have more luck calling that line than with your local office or a general number.

Yeah I already tried that number. The people I talked to the the cable card phone number said my cable card serial number is marked as a cable box. This was done at the local office, who refuse to correct this. They told me that it would not help. They even refused to give me a replacement cable card, but after telling them that is a violation of FCC law they found one. They also refused to talk with the technician who offered to explain how to correctly enter the serial number. The manager who finally talked to me said that an update to their system to use X1 has disabled to use of cable cards for other systems including Tivo, and tv tuner cards.

I have opened a case with Ceton who are contacting Comcast. I also filed a FCC complaint. Once this is resolved I will file another complaint with the FCC since I haven't received credit for using my own equipment. I really wish there was an alternative cable provider available without moving.

STC

Post by STC » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:59 pm

Perhaps it is a temporary issue due to upgrades that the soop doesn't have a grip on technically.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Wed Jun 10, 2015 3:34 pm

fusa wrote:
Sharks wrote:I'm pretty sure you probably already tried this phone number: Comcast:877-405-2298 but if you haven't its Comcast cable card line you might have more luck calling that line than with your local office or a general number.

Yeah I already tried that number. The people I talked to the the cable card phone number said my cable card serial number is marked as a cable box. This was done at the local office, who refuse to correct this. They told me that it would not help. They even refused to give me a replacement cable card, but after telling them that is a violation of FCC law they found one. They also refused to talk with the technician who offered to explain how to correctly enter the serial number. The manager who finally talked to me said that an update to their system to use X1 has disabled to use of cable cards for other systems including Tivo, and tv tuner cards.

I have opened a case with Ceton who are contacting Comcast. I also filed a FCC complaint. Once this is resolved I will file another complaint with the FCC since I haven't received credit for using my own equipment. I really wish there was an alternative cable provider available without moving.
Well, as a head up the X1 system doesn't disable Cable Cards that is utter nonsense. I had the X1 system which resulted in the bill from heck because the guy who upgraded me had no fracking clue how to properly manage an account. This was my last straw and I converted to WMC/Ceton shortly after and promptly returned every piece of crap device Comcast had given me remotes and all. So I would say keep pushing at the local office and tell them you want the phone number of regional manager if they are too incompetent to get you a working cable card maybe he could be more helpful in forcing the issue.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:18 pm

I use Comcast with a Ceton InfiniTV 6 & cableCARD and it works just fine for me.. Sounds like your local Comcast office isn't very versed in Tech.. Contact Comcast (not the local office) and get someone with a clue to help you.
newfiend

wilkcards

Post by wilkcards » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:58 pm

Well, I found this thread after my cable card (ceten eth-6) stopped working on comcast today. I seemed to have some software issue which wiped out all of my guide listings, and then when I updated the listings manually everything appeared normal, but now my channels are all mixed up. Not sure if I should try a system restore, or if it's comcast changing something.

fusa

Post by fusa » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:32 am

My service was finally restored. Thanks to Ceton. I think they finally found someone at the company that can do their job.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:30 pm

Is anyone using X1 with CableCard tuners (Silicondust, Ceton, TiVo)?

Paw Paw

Post by Paw Paw » Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:50 pm

fusa wrote:My service was finally restored. Thanks to Ceton. I think they finally found someone at the company that can do their job.
Glad Ceton was able to help. They helped me too when local Comcast personnel were unable to correct an issue that I had.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 13, 2015 12:53 pm

bob_p wrote:Is anyone using X1 with CableCard tuners (Silicondust, Ceton, TiVo)?
I'm not using it, but it looks like it's possible. You likely will have to isolate your tuners from the MoCa interference, by using creatively placed (POE MoCa filter(s). Whether or not you have good luck, will depend on how well your existing coax has been run through the walls. Here is a small collection of MoCa info. There are some good wiring diagrams in the pdf links .

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... oca#p89169

mldenison

Post by mldenison » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:34 pm

A few months back when I started to get problems due to weak signals, I was lucky to get a knowledgeable Comcast tech at the house. He checked my wiring closet filled with TV cables, TV amplifier, a couple managed switches and my installed MOCA filter. He said that since they started installing the X1 gear, they always put a MOCA filter outside in the cable junction box. Since I don't have X1, he installed one outside and removed mine. It turns out their distribution/amplifier box across the street was bad. But I was pleased he put the MOCA filter in. I haven't had any problems since, except for the weekly power cycling of my 2 ETH's. Those I have on a power strip connected to an X10 appliance module. I wrote a VBS program that runs via task manager weekly to turn the module off, then on after 30 seconds. In the last several months, I have the HTPC shut down at 1 AM, else I'd reboot the HTPC weekly via task manager after the vbs program ran.

The ETH's and 3 Echos are working well with almost never any issues.

bob_p

Post by bob_p » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Comcast claims some nice features in X1 - such as downloading of programs to mobile devices.

Especially with WMC not being included in Windows 10 - it's time to start looking at alternatives to WMC - and while I'm hopeful there will be a replacement based on the Silicondust DVR software, I thought it would also be useful to have X1 running in parallel. Comcast includes a free X1 DVR in my package - so it wouldn't cost any more to turn one on.

But I don't want to do it unless I'm 100% confident it will not break my WMC environment.

If all it takes is to isolate the WMC tuners behind a MOCA filter - that sounds pretty easy to implement.

Still looking for someone who has both X1 and WMC running in parallel...

Anyone?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:54 pm

There are lots of users over here bob >>>>> http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/bd-p/X1

It's not that tough, give it a shot. Open the pdf in post 4 of the link I gave you. have a look at page 9. the X1 system consists of a MOCA gateway, and a MOCA IP STB. Your WMC tuners would be represented by Old STB, or Cable-ready TV.

Same pdf Page 12 (POE1) on the outside, and POE 2 & 3 protecting Old STB and Cable-Ready TV. POE1 allows everything in and prevents your MoCA from getting out. POE 2 and 3 allow everything in/out except MoCA.

It's pretty simple stuff. The hard part, and that's the part we cant help with, is, How is the place wired? Placement of the POE's in your wiring diagram will be the key to protecting your existing "systems". phone-internet-cable TV-etc.

And then.....once you have 1, 2 and 3 installed, if I could compare MoCA to a Tire Tube. the pressure can be adjusted to reach all devices connected and the pressure (or signal) doesn't hit WMC and the other systems because they are protected by a one-way valve (POE filter).
Attachments
XI-WMC.JPG

Sharks

Post by Sharks » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:29 pm

bob_p wrote:Comcast claims some nice features in X1 - such as downloading of programs to mobile devices.

Especially with WMC not being included in Windows 10 - it's time to start looking at alternatives to WMC - and while I'm hopeful there will be a replacement based on the Silicondust DVR software, I thought it would also be useful to have X1 running in parallel. Comcast includes a free X1 DVR in my package - so it wouldn't cost any more to turn one on.

But I don't want to do it unless I'm 100% confident it will not break my WMC environment.

If all it takes is to isolate the WMC tuners behind a MOCA filter - that sounds pretty easy to implement.

Still looking for someone who has both X1 and WMC running in parallel...

Anyone?
So I'm probably not as helpful on the technical knowledge as Crash2009 but I ran an X1 system and WMC in parallel for a short time before switching to WMC, I used a simple splitter with one output going to the X1 system and the other running to my Ceton Inifitv PCIe 6 tuner card. Both were fully functional neither device interfered with each other in my setup.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 9:56 pm

I think all he really wanted was, to know someone had run it before and it worked OK. The only problems that I have read about is the cableco installers sometimes had a problem, getting the cable modem/exterior POE correct.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:23 am

I think Coultergeist0 has the best explaination.

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/X1/What-is ... 879#M61786