Alternative to MyMovies

DavidinCT

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:10 am

aeblank wrote:So far, I un-disabled the stock movies banner. It worked, but was certainly slow at times too (tried to thumb through title/genre/date/etc. at the top and totally froze it on an xbox). I un-checked the option that was said to uncheck. However, I couldn't reboot till after bedtime, or this morning. So, not sure how that changes things. It shows the movies with cover art, but no description, as expected. Didn't figure I'd bother installing YAMMM until/if I decide to go that way.

We'll see where I end up. :mrgreen:
Just wondering, if you disabled the "automatic downloads" as I said above and had nothing to provide meta data (YAMM) it's not going to perform at all very well. I had nothing but issues on my 360 (and desktop) till I got all the art and meta data fixed, THEN disable the "automatic download" option.

The big thing is movie library and the extender experience, your going to find most products are slow and sluggish on the extender (the 360 is not a powerhouse to today's standards by any means). Even my movies would hang for about 5-8 seconds when I selected and was really slow and a nightmare almost to use on the extender. EMBY I have heard is very slow unless you disable all the eye candy and even then it's not the best performing.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:00 pm

Doctor Feelgood wrote:perhaps you could change the titles of those headers using Media Center Studio:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/wiki/index ... ter_Studio
I played with that in the past. It seems like it didn't work on my system, unless I'm remembering wrong.
DavidinCT wrote:Just wondering, if you disabled the "automatic downloads" as I said above and had nothing to provide meta data (YAMM) it's not going to perform at all very well. I had nothing but issues on my 360 (and desktop) till I got all the art and meta data fixed, THEN disable the "automatic download" option.
I did disable the automatic downloads. When I go into it, it shows all the cover art, and my general thought was 'well, for now (testing) that's fine'. But now that you mention it, I can't sort by anything but title without it freezing. So, DUH, that's based on the metadata. Have to get Yammm going, I guess.

LuckyDay

Post by LuckyDay » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:46 pm

I use MyMovies without YAMM entirely, I don't think it's required for anything you're talking about.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:56 pm

I too don't have any metadata show up for movies in the stock MCE movie reel, ( I have MM also) so I am watching this thread.

Sidebar, I used Remote Potato years ago before the original developer stopped supporting it. It was fantastic. Then after some windows 7 updates and it being picked up by ??? I started having problems and things were just broken, so I uninstalled it, shed my tear and moved on.
Q: Is Remote Potato fully functional again for remote scheduling and streaming of recorded shows/channels again? Which version?

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:01 pm

I think i have a super old version of remote potato. My main issue is chrome no longer supporting silverlight. SO there is something to disable and it'll work for now. Not sure what the long term problems will be. Other than that, I still use it.

My isp gives me a PRIVATE ip, so I have to run a VPN (Hamachi) in order to use it. As such, when I got my new phone I have yet to bother setting it up. I either schedule stuff at home, or at work where hamachi is set up. I have 4G home internet capped at 10GB/mo, so streaming is certainly out of the question as well. I feel as though I'm starting to be left behind...........

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:03 pm

Mpgrimm2 wrote: Q: Is Remote Potato fully functional again for remote scheduling and streaming of recorded shows/channels again? Which version?
I've been using it for years. At what point was it not fully functional?

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:16 pm

mdavej wrote:
Mpgrimm2 wrote: Q: Is Remote Potato fully functional again for remote scheduling and streaming of recorded shows/channels again? Which version?
I've been using it for years. At what point was it not fully functional?
Around July 2012 when it went open source and the head developer ( Carl P.) got a job at Microsoft. http://www.remotepotato.com/pressreleases.aspx
v1.1.1 never came out of beta since then.
Around that time, http://www.myfrem.NL picked up the project to supoort their app and it wasn't the same after that.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:11 pm

Ahh yes, NL version never worked for me.

Mpgrimm2

Post by Mpgrimm2 » Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:51 am

mdavej wrote:Ahh yes, NL version never worked for me.
What version are you using then?

aeblank

Post by aeblank » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:32 pm

Interestingly, my MM seems to be working fine. I have like 30 or 40 titles in there, just the "classics".
I moved 90% of my movies out of MM, then had a "what the hell" moment and started a 100% new database. With folder monitoring and the .xml files in the movie folders, it auto found everything pretty quick. Not sure if that's what did it, but it has exited perfectly on 2 different xbox a multitude of times. I plan on going through the movies, watching the one-watch titles, and slowly adding movies back in. I have the Emby server on there still, but don't have media browser classic nor yammm. I'm going to re-disable the stock movies banner and see how long this lasts. Will play with Emby on my phone and house tablets. Without recorded tv, I'm not sure if it'll be a success or not.

So yeah, fairly stoked.