MS Updates To Avoid?

JWA

HTPC Specs: Show details

MS Updates To Avoid?

Post by JWA » Thu May 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Will be updating my never-online WMC computer running Win8.1---its never been online since new and loading in WMC and the 8.1 Update via CD-ROM. When its connected to the 'net almost a year after new I'm sure I'll be flooded with numerous updates.

Are there any to avoid that potentially cause function issues with WMC? Keep in mind this particular computer is NEVER online, not even a modem within 20 feet. :)

TIA

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Thu May 28, 2015 8:02 pm

JWA wrote:Will be updating my never-online WMC computer running Win8.1---its never been online since new and loading in WMC and the 8.1 Update via CD-ROM. When its connected to the 'net almost a year after new I'm sure I'll be flooded with numerous updates.

Are there any to avoid that potentially cause function issues with WMC? Keep in mind this particular computer is NEVER online, not even a modem within 20 feet. :)

TIA
There is a list of a few to avoid that does cause problems, it's around here someplace but, I have a question for you.

If your computer never goes on line and it has not been online in over a year, how do you get guide updates ? Microsoft only gives 2 weeks of guide info, so manually doing it must be a PIA...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

JWA

Post by JWA » Thu May 28, 2015 9:27 pm

I must be an anomaly here in the PVR world---never had an interest in or found any real utility in EPG's. There's too much potential for lost programs and I find manually setting my week's worth of recording to work best for me.

Keep in mind this time last year I had a bank of 3 VCR's each dedicated to just one broadcast TV station and recording up to the limit of the tape cassette. It's not that big a PITA at all.........but anyway back to my OP.

Any ideas where the list of better avoided updates can be found?

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Fri May 29, 2015 7:19 am

there is one to avoid some one will tell u the code - that prepares u to update to windows 10 and pop ups nag screens in top right corner even now before w10 s out and will keep on doing when it is out. u dont want w10 as it dont have media center

jtennison

Post by jtennison » Fri May 29, 2015 1:36 pm

I believe the MS Update you are referring to is KB3035583. For more information see the InfoWorld article at
http://www.infoworld.com/article/290600 ... oader.html

JWA

Post by JWA » Fri May 29, 2015 5:17 pm

jtennison wrote:I believe the MS Update you are referring to is KB3035583. For more information see the InfoWorld article at
http://www.infoworld.com/article/290600 ... oader.html
Yes---I think this is the one I had in mind---thanks for coming to my rescue!

Seems its kinda harmless so I wonder if this is the same patch or update previously causing WMC to not be recognized or unable to function after its downloaded?

The nagging feature would be a nuisance though---I can tell right away.

Thanks again JTennison!

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri May 29, 2015 5:55 pm

mercalia wrote:there is one to avoid some one will tell u the code - that prepares u to update to windows 10 and pop ups nag screens in top right corner even now before w10 s out and will keep on doing when it is out. u dont want w10 as it dont have media center
I have yet to see a nag screen. I think the update just adds "Windows 10" to the dialog in certain events.

A lot of us have completely updated windows, without issue.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri May 29, 2015 6:40 pm

mcewinter wrote:
mercalia wrote:there is one to avoid some one will tell u the code - that prepares u to update to windows 10 and pop ups nag screens in top right corner even now before w10 s out and will keep on doing when it is out. u dont want w10 as it dont have media center
I have yet to see a nag screen. I think the update just adds "Windows 10" to the dialog in certain events.

A lot of us have completely updated windows, without issue.
There was one update that caused a problem off DRM issues, I forget (only affected cablecard users). Truth be told, I would always do updates but, time to time it would stop things from working, some times DTS-HD would stop working, other times WMC would crash or other problems, then I would go through manually removing all NEW updates.

I gave up, I updated till I installed the system and disabled Windows updates and this time around, No Anti-virus. As long as the computer is not being used for other things (browsing the web, games, or anything internet related), there is not a very high level of risk if your just using it as a DVR. MY Media Center PC is a DVR and Movie/music player, Nothing else, so disabling it fits my needs.

I will run win updates time to time to check for new drivers etc but, nothing more than that.

There is a thread around on it, Updates or not...
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sat May 30, 2015 4:21 am

well I was getting the windows 10 is ready nag screen even now on my windows 8.1 notebook even though windows 10 not there to be installed and it was frequent maybe in spurts of every few seconds, it was out of control, 2 or 3 times a go. I think there are also other updates that are to do with assessing whether your pc is ready for windows 10 and what problems if any. eg one to do with NET 1.0 You can safely install the security updates, its the other updates u should inspect one by one and reject any that have a wiff of windows 10.

The article on the update I read how to uninstall the nag update it was wrong re where the secondary location where the things were installed and I had to do a search for the exe to find it -

I dont think the nag update is harmless and it will keep on telling u to update to windows 10 until u do - not good if u are watching a film or tv programme in media center. it isnt a small message in the tray but a big one in the top right corner measuring inches Its NASTY

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat May 30, 2015 11:29 am

Where are you seeing this? I don't get a nag screen on any of my machines.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun May 31, 2015 9:21 pm

I am in the UK. I have never installed any development version of windows 10. & it isnt a virus. I have now removed all the bad updates that caused it. And no more get this nasty "Windows 10 is ready" box top right

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Mon Jun 01, 2015 5:29 am

The windows Logo icon shows up on the lower right on my W8 install, where it said I could reverse my free W10 upgrade
mcewinter wrote:Where are you seeing this? I don't get a nag screen on any of my machines.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:56 am

choliscott wrote:The windows Logo icon shows up on the lower right on my W8 install, where it said I could reverse my free W10 upgrade
mcewinter wrote:Where are you seeing this? I don't get a nag screen on any of my machines.
Remember, Windows Media Center is NOT included with Windows 10. So if you install Windows 10, it will prompt you that it will REMOVE Windows 10 (unless this changes at a later point). It IS NOT an installable option as of right now, in a nut shell, go to Windows 10 and you will have no more Media Center.

This nag screen is just a Windows update that you took, I don't remember the KB off the top of my head but, a quick bing should show you what it is and what update to remove.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Jun 01, 2015 12:36 pm

"You will need to uninstall the Windows Update KB3035583 and that should get rid of the icon."

http://www.neowin.net/news/here039s-how ... -remove-it
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Beerman

Post by Beerman » Mon Jun 01, 2015 7:13 pm

I hope that I don't wake up one morning in August to find out that MS forced an update on me without my permission. I don't put anything past them trying to get W10 out there. I'll definitely keep my backups updated with fresh images weekly.

JWA

Post by JWA » Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:33 pm

A few "interesting" things happened just today.........

I found that Win10 nag feature and with the help here was able to find and delete the update that seems to be responsible. Rebooted as Windows suggested after uninstalling the update and all was well.

Within the hour there was a pop up notification of a "very important" update and an optional update available, I should download them ASAP. It was just the same update as deleted, nagging me to delve into Windows 10. ;)

Great resource here---glad I'm part of it!

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:00 am

as well as remove the update u may have to remove secondary occurrence of it not deleted by the update. in my case it wasn't where an article said it was, had to search hd manually for the exe and folder

in my case just removing the update didn't stop the pop up.

from now on u need to inspect every non security update to see if it to dowith w10?

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:34 am

There are two updates that install a w10 reservation button in taskbar:

KB3035583 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583
KB2952664 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

AVOID!

JWA

Post by JWA » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:26 am

mercalia wrote:There are two updates that install a w10 reservation button in taskbar:

KB3035583 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3035583
KB2952664 https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2952664

AVOID!
I did find and uninstalled the first, with this advice found and uninstalled the second one too----thanks much!

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:55 am

if u want to hear the latest about w10 get it and how it affects u see the Windows Weekly june 3rd episode

http://twit.tv/show/windows-weekly/416

talks about the reservation button in particular

the suggestion is that this not just a button but also will be downloading bits of windows 10 before july 29th so that the july 29 download not too heavy!!!!!!!!

quote "its an offer you cant refuse"

Be afraid be very afraid :crazy: