NVIDIA finally fix the 29/59 issue?

DOS4EVER

HTPC Specs: Show details

NVIDIA finally fix the 29/59 issue?

Post by DOS4EVER » Thu May 28, 2015 1:40 am

Hello. Long time lurker here and first time poster. I used to use WMC as my one and only DVR but after trying multiple configurations over time the 29/59 issue was just too much for me to handle and I had to sadly revert back to an Xfinity DVR. That was about a year and a half ago and I have missed it so much. So simply out of curiosity the other day I unburied and booted up my NVIDIA HTPC and updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers. To my complete astonishment the 29/59 issue was no longer causing any jitter on the picture. In fact I couldn't notice any degradation whatsoever! Hallelujah! Has anyone else noticed this or did I just get lucky somehow? Appreciate your feedback.

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:03 pm

How do you know the show HAD the 29/59 issue to begin with?? You would have to bring up the diagnostics for every show to see if it is jittering.
Mike

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:29 am

mmatheny wrote:How do you know the show HAD the 29/59 issue to begin with?? You would have to bring up the diagnostics for every show to see if it is jittering.
A few years ago I had the 29/59 bug with some OTA programs & used one of the recordings as a reference to compare before & after adding a video card. I noticed the other day I still had the recording saved in a different folder. Kind of a pleasant surprise because it can be used in case I ever make any changes.

tzr916

Post by tzr916 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:58 pm

DOS4EVER wrote:... the other day I unburied and booted up my NVIDIA HTPC and updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers. To my complete astonishment the 29/59 issue was no longer causing any jitter on the picture. In fact I couldn't notice any degradation..
GPU model number?
Driver version?
Using HDMI?
Set to 1080p?

Download this clip, fire up WMC, and play. Watch the logo in the corner. See jaggies in the diagonal?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82Gqd ... sp=sharing

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:46 am

tzr916 wrote:
DOS4EVER wrote:... the other day I unburied and booted up my NVIDIA HTPC and updated to the latest NVIDIA drivers. To my complete astonishment the 29/59 issue was no longer causing any jitter on the picture. In fact I couldn't notice any degradation..
GPU model number?
Driver version?
Using HDMI?
Set to 1080p?

Download this clip, fire up WMC, and play. Watch the logo in the corner. See jaggies in the diagonal?
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B82Gqd ... sp=sharing
NVIDIA GeForce 610M
Yes
Yes

Yes, the jaggies are there but are hardly noticeable. My point was that before the picture would freeze and stutter consistently on programs with the 29/59 bug. Now there is no hesitation in the picture at all. I can deal with logos and graphics with jaggies. It was just the picture that was driving me crazy.
Last edited by DOS4EVER on Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:51 am

mmatheny wrote:How do you know the show HAD the 29/59 issue to begin with?? You would have to bring up the diagnostics for every show to see if it is jittering.
In my case the picture was unwatchable with the extreme jitter/stutter. Now it does not stutter anymore and I do not notice any jitter unless there are a lot of graphics on the screen, but it is negligible. Maybe there was something weird with my setup last time that caused the problems, but it's working great now so I'm happy.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:58 am

Stuttering is just one symptom of 29/59 content, and is 100% attributable to the GPU. Stuttering means the GPU is taking too long to process the video frames. Jaggies are another symptom, and are 100% attributable to the content. Jaggies in static images (such as logos) means there is a mismatch between how the image was encoded and how the metadata says the content was encoded. GPU manufacturers can cure the defects in their GPUs/drivers, but they can't cure the defects in the content.

DOS4EVER

Post by DOS4EVER » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:05 am

richard1980 wrote:Stuttering is just one symptom of 29/59 content, and is 100% attributable to the GPU. Stuttering means the GPU is taking too long to process the video frames. Jaggies are another symptom, and are 100% attributable to the content. Jaggies in static images (such as logos) means there is a mismatch between how the image was encoded and how the metadata says the content was encoded. GPU manufacturers can cure the defects in their GPUs/drivers, but they can't cure the defects in the content.
Thanks for the explanation. That confirms my theory that NVIDIA included a "fix" in their newer drivers that prevents stuttering, at least for my GPU.

soapdishbandit

Post by soapdishbandit » Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:02 am

Would the 29/59 issue be fixed if cable companies (Comcast in my case) sent the right metadata? OR, switched to MPEG-4?