Controller Companion And Modern Apps = Awesome

newfiend

HTPC Specs: Show details

Controller Companion And Modern Apps = Awesome

Post by newfiend » Wed May 27, 2015 10:21 pm

Ok, I've been tinkering with this for some time now. I have to give props to Ed aka (staknhalo) for finding this for me.. It's working pretty well so I thought I would share with the rest of you.

If you have an Xbox 360 Controller for Windows (Both Controller and Receiver) you can use it to Launch Modern apps from the start screen as well as search, scroll etc. with this neat little piece of software called Controller Companion. http://controllercompanion.com/

It will allow you to use your controller as a mouse and keyboard and if you game on Steam it will even launch Steam in Big Picture Mode for Gaming. :o :shock: :clap:

I have been using it with the Modern Netflix App and other Modern Apps for TV viewing and can select, play, pause and search using the 360 Controller.
Check out the Videos at controllercompanion.com for more information... It's a great little piece of software that allows you to launch modern apps and use them without having to have a mouse and keyboard at the couch. Now you can just use the 360 controller instead.

The best part is its cheap!! $3.00 or you can donate more to the developer if you find it useful like I did. :thumbup:
newfiend~

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu May 28, 2015 12:29 am

Does it work well with the emby app is my main question!?!?!?
Lee

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu May 28, 2015 1:06 am

milli260876 wrote:Does it work well with the emby app is my main question!?!?!?
I have the emby (Media Browser) Modern app installed and yes it does. I haven't tried it with Emby Theater though. It works just like a regular mouse and keyboard does except the keyboard is circular and displays on screen on top of the modern apps (press down on the left stick to display/hide the keyboard) I just used it on the emby modern app and it works great.
newfiend~

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Thu May 28, 2015 1:18 am

Might be worth posting this over there too then pal! [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Lee

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu May 28, 2015 1:36 pm

newfiend wrote: I have to give props to Ed aka (staknhalo) for finding this for me..
Quoting the great Johnny Carson "I did not know that." That clears things up a bit.

cncb

Post by cncb » Fri May 29, 2015 2:16 pm

This looks cool but I don't see a trial to see if it works for me and to determine if I would want to give more than $3?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri May 29, 2015 11:32 pm

cncb wrote:This looks cool but I don't see a trial to see if it works for me and to determine if I would want to give more than $3?
Unfortunately there isn't a trial. He does have a facebook page though https://www.facebook.com/controllercompanion
you could post there and he may consider adding that as an option maybe??
I have been using this for roughly a month or so. There was an initial issue where the keyboard wouldn't render on top of modern apps on the start screen like the Netflix app etc.. This had to do with the developer getting the app registered as an accessibility application so it could render on top of modern apps. This has been fixed and I can confirm that it does render on top of modern apps now.
I really like it. It works well and is updated frequently.
I would even go as far as to say.. If you don't like it I'll PayPal you the $3.00 back if you find it not to your liking. I like it that much and I have no connection or affiliation to the developer.
newfiend~

cncb

Post by cncb » Sat May 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Thanks for the offer, but it is unnecessary. I can "waste" $3 if it comes to that, but it sounds like I won't.

cncb

Post by cncb » Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:10 am

This really is a great program. Thanks for mentioning it. I am hoping the "modern apps" for Windows 10 are more remote control friendly but this really works well in the meantime.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:04 pm

cncb wrote:This really is a great program. Thanks for mentioning it. I am hoping the "modern apps" for Windows 10 are more remote control friendly but this really works well in the meantime.
Glad you like it :thumbup: , I was very impressed. Especially if you also use Steam on your HTPC for gaming. It's by no means a perfect solution (that would be modern apps responding to a remote control) but it does work really well IMO. It was worth every penny to me.
newfiend