360 extender noob, issues

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
xenobill

HTPC Specs: Show details

360 extender noob, issues

Post by xenobill » Tue May 26, 2015 2:30 am

Finally joined 2003 and started using media center a year ago. Bought a xbox360 this weekend and setup the extender. No issues with it connecting. It works fine for accessing Live Tv and recordings (SD Prime). If I try to watch anything in movies or emby it knocks out live tv on the PC, and the movies never load. At first, until I rebooted the PC, I got the Apllication Failure error. The files I am trying to play are all mkv bluray rips. The PC is windows 7, I'm using the K-lite codec pack. I added .mkv and .mp4 support in the media browser classic config as I found that in one search. Can't really find anything extender related in any of the codec config stuff, I may be missing something (obviously).

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue May 26, 2015 2:54 pm

I would uninstall that codec and install the Shark codec's they seem to work well with extenders without much configuration.

Also Welcome aboard! We seem to be loosing Media Center guys by the dozens these days.

xenobill

Post by xenobill » Wed May 27, 2015 3:27 am

Thanks, exactly what i did after reading around. Stayed away from the shark007 codec download after all the garbage it tried to install, but read some stuff on his forum and figured it out. The mkvs look like garbage on the 360, so i will look around and play around more to figure it out.

As for WMC, I wished I would have figured it out long ago. Being able to have my cable box, video game console, internet browsing all in one box AND use a dual monitor setup is unmatched any where else.

xenobill

Post by xenobill » Thu May 28, 2015 3:31 am

So after expressing my love for the windows platform here last night i immediately had 4 bsod trying to access mkv's on the 360. After a system restore, updating a few drivers, and reinstalling the shark codec I'm back to having crappy looking video. Do I need both the 32-bit and 64-bit codecs installed? I unistalled the 32-bit last night and that seemed when the bsods started. What settings are people using (using the recommended settings, doesn't have any thing ticked on the extender options).

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Thu May 28, 2015 1:34 pm

The newer installs do both versions, and yes you need them if you are not on x86. I know the author reads these forums (although he prefer you use his; my assumption). So perhaps he can post something here for you. I just use it like that old rotisserie cooker, "I set it and forget it".

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Sun May 31, 2015 2:53 pm

I had issues with shark007 codecs and mkvs looking like garbage as well on the 360. I did some digging and its the "envelope" its stored in. The xbox360 does not handle the .mkv file very well, but if you transcode it into .m2ts it will look great! I have since uninstalled the skark007 codecs and never went back. I also use emby exclusively since i like the screen setup. I use tsMuxer GUI 2.6.12 to convert from .mkv to .m2ts. A side note the 360 does not handle DTS audio so you need to make sure it is in the AC3 format for surround sound.

xenobill

Post by xenobill » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:44 am

Thanks for the replies. I figured I'd post my solution. I uninstalled Sharks standard codec and used the advanced. I have his recommended settings enabled (alternate extender support ticked). I also downloaded mkvtoolnix, per his site. I pulled all the subtitles and chapters out of the mkv, they all work good. I noticed soccer4270 and others say that the xbox doesn't handle dts, but that's what all the files seem to play with, unless makemkv or mkvtoolnix gets rid of it somehow. Emby lists them with dts, so i'm not sure what the file is playing.

Shark007

Post by Shark007 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:46 pm

xenobill wrote:I noticed soccer4270 and others say that the xbox doesn't handle dts, but that's what all the files seem to play with, unless makemkv or mkvtoolnix gets rid of it somehow. Emby lists them with dts, so i'm not sure what the file is playing.
Installation of my codecs adds support for dts audio in mkv containers for extenders.
For more extensive information about Extender filetype support, I suggest that you READ HERE.
Retain your sanity, use Shark007 Codecs

soccer4270

Post by soccer4270 » Mon Jun 01, 2015 10:22 pm

glad you were able to get it working xenobill. thanks for posting your fix.

xenobill

Post by xenobill » Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:42 am

Shark007 wrote:
xenobill wrote:I noticed soccer4270 and others say that the xbox doesn't handle dts, but that's what all the files seem to play with, unless makemkv or mkvtoolnix gets rid of it somehow. Emby lists them with dts, so i'm not sure what the file is playing.
Installation of my codecs adds support for dts audio in mkv containers for extenders.
For more extensive information about Extender filetype support, I suggest that you READ HERE.
Thanks, I read that among others, can't find the one right now that lead me to the mkvtoolnix. I have noticed that I still have choppy playback and audio is now getting out of sync. Will keep looking, but it's the best results currently i have seen so far.

dlarry

Post by dlarry » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:42 am

After a five-year break, I'm back to Media Center with a new PC and OTA HD. I purchased a used XB 360 for extender duty and I too am getting poor audio sync on the extender for live and recorded TV. New computer Win 8.1 with a clean install of WMC and I installed My Movies. Xbox is a clean reset and the only thing I've configured on it so far is WMC extender app. I have a wired Ethernet connection and extender is reporting a strong signal. I haven't installed a codec unless one was installed with My Movies.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:51 am

Check your CPU power settings.

Power options control panel->Change Plan Settings->Change advanced power settings->Processor Power Management->Minimum Processor State

Having the CPU clock down in speed is OK, but you need a tiny bit to stream, and if it actually goes to sleep it sometimes doesn't wake up fast enough to not have audible stuttering. The minimum clock speed different CPUs can run at, as a percentage of the max, varies depending on the CPU model. If you set the min too low for your particular CPU it will put it on a kind of part-time-sleeping duty cycle. Power usage is proportional to speed^2, so you can still get significant savings from letting it downclock, you'll have to experiment a bit to find how far down you can set it without issues. On a new machine I'd expect you can at least set it as low as 40-50% without any actual sleep happening, which will at least reduce CPU idle power 75% vs. forcing it to stay at full speed. On my old Bloomfield system, which is more server targeted, I needed the Minimum Processor State set to at least 65% to not get audio hiccups on extenders.

When you are using WMC locally instead of on an extender, there is enough real CPU use to keep it from going to sleep organically.

dlarry

Post by dlarry » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:40 am

glugglug wrote:Check your CPU power settings...
Thanks, before I checked the CPU, I tried WMC from the extender again this evening and now it's working very well. Perhaps it is possible the xbox extender was updating in the background post initial set up last night, and now it has caught up. This would align with your CPU insight.

McGary

Post by McGary » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:42 am

Just switched from all ClearQAM to cable cards (not by choice -- Time Warner is encrypting everything next month), so need to add a couple extenders. I assumed Xbox 360's would be "seamless" and work perfectly ... but it seems there are several potential issues.

If they're used purely for TV (live & recorded) -- i.e. no music or movies -- do they tend to work well (as per dlarry's last post)? I've also read that you had to buy an Xbox Live subscription to use them as an extender -- is that true? (Hopefully not !!)

Cosmetically, and from a size/power use/heat perspective, the Ceton Echo looks like a much nicer extender (I'm using W7 so it's an option) ... but I've read several bad things about it, so I though the 360 would be more reliable.

Anything to watch out for when picking up a 360? i.e. is there an advantage to a new one ? ... do I need to add anything to a basic 360 box?

... and what remote works best with the 360s ??

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:55 pm

360 is fine for TV, with the exception of some H.264 channels being jittery, which I don't think exist in TWC.

This remote works well with it, as do any of the Harmonys. http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Universa ... B000B6MLSM

No subscription has ever been needed for WMC

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:57 pm

Steer clear of the original white xbox360. They're loud and are more likely to experience hardware problems.
I currently have a pair of XB360S models and an original white 360. The 2 S models are virtually silent. The basic 4GB model is all you need, and as stated earlier - an XBLive account is not required.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:05 pm

There are at least 3 different versions of the white box 360. I have one of the Jaspers (last of the white box models I think). It uses only 20W more than the 360S, and has more ventilation holes, so it actually runs cooler than the 360S.

McGary

Post by McGary » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:12 am

The 360S unit is available for < $100 --- refurbished "unit only" with no controllers ... just the unit and power supply.

What else do I need to buy to use this as an extender? I assume I need a 360 controller AND a media remote control ... but I'm curious if a media remote by itself is enough.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:02 pm

Before I bought my Harmony remotes, I used the media remote that glugglug referenced in his post above. It can be used to do just about anything a standard controller can. If you get a good look at the remote, you'll notice it has the A,B,X,Y buttons as well as the big round XBox button to pull up the XBox menu. That's pretty much all you need when trying to traverse any of the XBox menu screens.
You shouldn't need to buy a controller. Just know that using the Up,Down,Left,Right buttons are little more cumbersome on a remote than a controller... but definitely do-able.

McGary

Post by McGary » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:43 am

If the only thing the X-Box is ever used for is as an extender, can the Harmony be programmed to do everything that's needed to start it up on power-on? I realize the initial setup likely requires a bit more (to enter the key, etc.) .... but once it's set up is it "wife friendly" ??

i.e. push a button on the Harmony and after a bit you get the Media Center screen on the TV ??