No TV on any channel

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
mmurley

HTPC Specs: Show details

No TV on any channel

Post by mmurley » Tue May 26, 2015 2:28 am

FIXED - but Don't Ask Me How - the 5th time I cleared the tuners and reset them I must have been holding my mouth right.... Apparently 'this rule is general' for all computer related issues. Do it over and over and over and suddenly it works.

Just happened.

Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH. Ceton Diagnostics show all green checks on CableCard. Device webpage shows CableCard is good and TA is working. I've reset everything and cleared tuners and rediscovered them.

In doing so I got messages of no cable card inserted / cable card bad / TA not available / etc. Power cycled InfiniTV 6. Reinserted cable card. Power cycled TA (solid light now).

And I checked basic cable (there is a signal).

So I try to tune HBO (511). Ceton Diagnostis CableCard tab shows it as resolved. No TV signal message. Device webpage shows tuner 1 on Ch. 511.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Tue May 26, 2015 12:38 pm

Okay, it's not fixed. Channels are initially showing no signal - long time to change channels -: then if I actually go to the HTPC and start changing channels on WMC channels will start showing up.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Tue May 26, 2015 1:22 pm

This won't help but WTH! My system had been running smooth as silk for a couple of months and then last week BLAM... system says no tuner detected! What!.. I had to do the WMC setup which of course says only 4 tuners found on a ETH6! That message quickly reminded me that I've seen that before and pulled out my HTPC file folder from the cabinet. Anyways, Had it back up and running in 30 minutes.

If nothing else works for you. You may need to do the "Clear Tuner Configuration" in the lower section of that page you showed with all the green check marks. Then re-install the tuner card through WMC setup. You shouldn't have to re-"pair" your cablecard by doing that. But you will have to setup all your favorite channels etc.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Tue May 26, 2015 3:44 pm

koberhol wrote:This won't help but WTH! My system had been running smooth as silk for a couple of months and then last week BLAM... system says no tuner detected! What!.. I had to do the WMC setup which of course says only 4 tuners found on a ETH6! That message quickly reminded me that I've seen that before and pulled out my HTPC file folder from the cabinet. Anyways, Had it back up and running in 30 minutes.

If nothing else works for you. You may need to do the "Clear Tuner Configuration" in the lower section of that page you showed with all the green check marks. Then re-install the tuner card through WMC setup. You shouldn't have to re-"pair" your cablecard by doing that. But you will have to setup all your favorite channels etc.
Already did that.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Wed May 27, 2015 12:06 am

This is beyond stupid.

Turn on an extender, no signal on any channel. Go to the HTPC and that channel works. Change channels on the HTPC and no signal on the new channel. Change back to the channel I was just watching -no signal.

Go to basic cable - there's signal. Switch over to the one remaining STB, there's signal. On WMC, through the Ceton InfiniTV 6 ETH, there's signal on random channels that comes and goes.

I've changed nothing. The HTPC is set to never update Windows 7. Nothing has been installed on it. Just suddenly went to crap.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Wed May 27, 2015 12:28 am

I sometimes have an issue like what your describing where the HTPC or extender won't allow me to view a channel on one or the other. The solution for me is to turn off the extenders and do a reboot of the HTPC and it clears up the conflict.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed May 27, 2015 12:31 am

That "Red" under pairing is likely the culprit. Probably means Play Ready is broken. You won't get anywhere unless it shows "Green". No WMDRM paring will give inconsistent results just like you're seeing now. I fought a similar issue for 3 months before I figured it out.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Wed May 27, 2015 2:28 pm

mdavej wrote:That "Red" under pairing is likely the culprit. Probably means Play Ready is broken. You won't get anywhere unless it shows "Green". No WMDRM paring will give inconsistent results just like you're seeing now. I fought a similar issue for 3 months before I figured it out.
And now all tuners are showing 'green' under pairing. After a reboot. I touched nothing and changed nothing and did nothing else.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Wed May 27, 2015 2:38 pm

cwinfield wrote:I sometimes have an issue like what your describing where the HTPC or extender won't allow me to view a channel on one or the other. The solution for me is to turn off the extenders and do a reboot of the HTPC and it clears up the conflict.
This is a bit different. When it hit, I lost TV on all channels. Turning off the extenders and rebooting multiple times did nothing despite the Ceton Diagnostics finally showing all green check marks on the CableCard tab (after giving me every CableCard status possible). I did everything everyone suggests over and over and over.

Then I got random channels working intermittently. Then after another reboot last night (without doing anything else) it all came back (for now).

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed May 27, 2015 8:20 pm

Mine was doing some strange stuff one time, I unplugged the CableCARD while it was running, then plugged it back in. I kept it running for a few weeks this way, then the CableCARD died completely. The new card has been on for a few years now.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Thu May 28, 2015 1:38 am

Ceton says its a weak signal issue.

That has been a problem since we moved in in 1991. TWC has never really fixed it.

Of course, when I get TWC's wire monkey out here, he'll freak out when he sees the InfiniTV 6 ETH, cable card and extenders and, in his panic, decide that that's the issue.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:13 am

mmurley wrote:Ceton says its a weak signal issue.
Here is how they hooked me up. Originally the tuner was cabled to the 3rd splitter. The math says -10.5.......The tuner said -12.5.......Out of spec.
Attachments
RACK010edited.jpg

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu May 28, 2015 2:20 am

My solution was to re-wire the joint, and put in a +10 amp. Math says +6.5 to everywhere. The tuner says it's a bit less. Favorite channels are 0.0, which is hard to beat.
Attachments
RF_AMP_001edited.jpg

kd6icz

Post by kd6icz » Fri May 29, 2015 9:30 pm

I had this same exact problem this week after moving my system to a new apartment. My ETH6 was fine but my two internal PCIe 6 cards said no signal on all channels. I finally gave up and exchanged both CableCARD's. Worked perfect ever since. They got all the numbers hosed when pairing them to the new DAC. So new cards were the only answer.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri May 29, 2015 11:26 pm

It almost seems like those CableCards have to be formatted or completely wiped out every once in awhile. When I was having those problems I seem to recall the tech approaching my account and the card very cautiously, he was afraid it was going to blow up on Saturday night, and no replacement till Monday. As I recall, I think he said "Your account is hanging by a thread" one wrong move and you're getting a blank screen for the weekend.

Since that day, I have always had a spare stored here. They paid me the $2.50 or $5 bucks a month for the longest time, until they read the FCC section that said the card has to be in use (or active) to get paid.

Recently, I have been wondering what Microsoft has in store for us. I suppose the CableCard is history too. Maybe that's why Ceton has been so quiet lately. Sure hope we don't end up with all that Cloud Authorization Crap.

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Sat May 30, 2015 1:08 am

Crash2009 wrote: ... I think he said "Your account is hanging by a thread" one wrong move and you're getting a blank screen for the weekend....
The issue is that the ORDER which the devices are placed on the account for validation/authorization is significant. Some have to be setup before or after the other (don't recall the exact order that was relevant) otherwise their system does not activate the cards/devices appropriately.

With 4 CableCard devices + 4 Tuning Resolvers + 1 Cable Co HD DVR + 1 regular cable box + 1 cable modem..... They have to be really careful when making any changes to my account.... :P
Time is on my side.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 30, 2015 4:28 am

Yes, I read that one too. The way they described the order was very convincing. I think I bounced that off our CableCard dept. They agreed but felt it wasn't necesary re-write my account. I guess mine wasn't as bad as the one in the "Order" example.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sat May 30, 2015 7:21 pm

Ceton looked at my InfiniTV 6 ETH diagnostics and said "weak signal at the TA".

Called TWC "customer service" (actually everyone was trying) and got bumped to the TWC cable card desk. Lady there looked at my signal at the TA remotely and said "weak signal" (29 when it should be 35-53, IIRC). So she scheduled a tech. She knew he'd know nothing about cable cards and TAs so she tried to deal with that. Didn't work.

So a TWC "tech" came out today.

The TWC cable card desk said to make him pull the signal strength from the TA diagnostics and put the 855 "tech" only number in the work order. He was ready to run when I told him "cable card". He called his supervisor who told him to put an amp on it and not call the cable card desk because he was only allotted an hour for this call.

Then he looked at my outside cable box (the one that's zip-tied half open because they shoved an amp like Crash2009 has in his diagram in it). "That's a "0 gain amp" he said. "I can read the signal on it and it's perfect."

Then we go to where the TA is. I turn on the Echo and everything is working great... He puts his DOCSIS box on the cable goes into the TA. "Whoa, that's RG-59! We don't use that in residential installs - only sometimes in apartments." But the signal is marginal.

So, we set up to do an install running RG-6 from the amp at the back of the house to the bedroom where the TA and InfiniTV 6 ETH are (they are there because the cable is there).

He leaves. I connect my TA back. Check TV. No signal on any channel. Check the InfiniTV 6 ETH web page. TA disabled - but it has a solid light. Reset it. Solid light. No joy.

Call the TWC cable card desk. Nice lady there says she can see the TA. Power cycle the InfiniTV 6 ETH. TA is recognized. All diagnostics are good. She validates that my signal at the TA is weak. Tell her about the coax. "That might be it... we'll see after it gets changed".

I hang up and check the TV again. No signal...

I'm going to move the InfiniTV 6 ETH and TA to the living room, where I have a run of RG-6 coming in. If it is the physical coax that will tell me.

mmurley

Post by mmurley » Sat May 30, 2015 8:09 pm

Okay, I moved the InfiniTV 6 ETH and TA to the living room, where I have a TWC-installed, relatively new run of RG-6 coming straight from the amplifier outside.

After I got TV back - rebooting the HTPC after having 'No Signal' on every channel - the R/F statistics page under the TA tab on the InfiniTV web page says "S/N 33" (which I ass-u-me is the signal the TWC cable desk lady was referring to as needing to be "35-53".

So despite having "perfect signal" according to the TWC "tech" I'm still out of spec after I moved off the suspect RG-59 run. Signal strength of 29 at the TA on the ancient RG-59 coax run, 33 on a relatively new, TWC installed run.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat May 30, 2015 8:51 pm

Do you have any MoCa adapters, MoCa router, or is possible you might be getting some interference from one of the neighbors? If so, do you have a POE upstream of the tuners? The zero gain should have a filter built in, but you never know...

And, How do you have the TA/ETH cabled....Like this?
Attachments
ETH6-CiscoTA-Moca001.jpg